Will the Habs fire their GM?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Most of us have wanted him gone a long time ago.

That 16 first pizza was the sticking point in discussions.

I believe it fell through when PMD was drafted over Pizza Boy.

Habs wanted their homegrown francophone centre.

And Edmonton realised it could snag an Elite talent at 4th.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
His successor will have the same impossible task of building a contender on the back of a great goalie and first round picks in the 20-25 range, in a market that isn't ideal to attract free agents.

Weber/Subban - doesn't matter. Neither guy was the problem and neither is the solution. Subban gave Habs fans hope about an impossible situation but thats about it.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
I remember in October, there was a vocal crowd on the main boards (perhaps a minority among Habs fans though) that was crediting Weber with all kinds of weird things. From the hot start, to Al Montoya having like a .960 save percentage over his first 4 starts. They seemed to pipe down after the 10 goal against game. I tried to point out that Mike Condon had a pretty amazing first 10 games and the Habs started off even hotter last season with Subban, it either fell on deaf ears or was just laughed at by those people.

There was a pretty vocal Weber cheerleading squad at the start of the season, and I would say Webers hot start quieted some of his critics, but I think if you polled every habs fan on hf, most would take pk back no question. I remember reading through a weber/pk thread on the habs board that was full of pk bashers patting themselves on the back, I seem to remember referring to it as "gross" lol, clearly not a trade that would be won in a handful of games.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
There was a pretty vocal Weber cheerleading squad at the start of the season, and I would say Webers hot start quieted some of his critics, but I think if you polled every habs fan on hf, most would take pk back no question. I remember reading through a weber/pk thread on the habs board that was full of pk bashers patting themselves on the back, I seem to remember referring to it as "gross" lol, clearly not a trade that would be won in a handful of games.

Lol. Guilty as charged. Weber's hot streak at the beginning of the year was pretty sweet after the goings on here over the summer though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Montreal isn't THAT far off from being a legit contender. It's just that the main piece they need is gonna be hella hard to get.

They need a legit #1C and those don't exactly grow on trees. I think chucky could have gotten there (and still could) but I think therrien ****ed up his development.

They a rock solid goalie. They have a top end #1D in Weber and a solid #2 in Perry. They have a legit #1 winger in patches (this playoffs not withstanding). That's a good start.

They have some salary issues. 5mil for plekanec is awful. Thankfully Markov and his $6mil is off the books. Bring him back if you want but nothing more than 3.5mil. He's getting old and while still effective, is clearly slowing down.

Their biggest need is a center. How they gonna find that?

And to answer the OP .. is MB the guy to do it? I don't think so

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Montreal isn't THAT far off from being a legit contender. It's just that the main piece they need is gonna be hella hard to get.

They need a legit #1C and those don't exactly grow on trees. I think chucky could have gotten there (and still could) but I think therrien ****ed up his development.

They a rock solid goalie. They have a top end #1D in Weber and a solid #2 in Perry. They have a legit #1 winger in patches (this playoffs not withstanding). That's a good start.

They have some salary issues. 5mil for plekanec is awful. Thankfully Markov and his $6mil is off the books. Bring him back if you want but nothing more than 3.5mil. He's getting old and while still effective, is clearly slowing down.

Tank and draft. Just like every other recent Cup winner and contender.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The biggest need for years now, has been a number 1 centre...you have to give something, to get smething...MB is not getting fired, yet................but he needs some top end talent and he doesn't know how to get it............he adds muckers and grinders on a yearly basis, and Price covers up alot of their problems, but they can't score and it's hardly fair to expect Price to only let one goal a game in..........the Habs scored 11 goals in 6 games in the playoffs...this is on Bergevin.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The biggest need for years now, has been a number 1 centre...you have to give something, to get smething...MB is not getting fired, yet................but he needs some top end talent and he doesn't know how to get it............he adds muckers and grinders on a yearly basis, and Price covers up alot of their problems, but they can't score and it's hardly fair to expect Price to only let one goal a game in..........the Habs scored 11 goals in 6 games in the playoffs...this is on Bergevin.

I honestly don't know how to acquire top end talent with the pieces Montreal has either. Our best chip is Sergachev. Think about that.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I honestly don't know how to acquire top end talent with the pieces Montreal has either. Our best chip is Sergachev. Think about that.

That's the problem. They don't have a ton to give to get that missing piece. With what they have now, they be fixing one hole by creating another. It's a **** spot to be in.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That's the problem. They don't have a ton to give to get that missing piece. With what they have now, they be fixing one hole by creating another. It's a **** spot to be in.

Add the fact that our drafting/development combo is average at best - we're in hockey purgatory. At least I get to watch Connor!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Someone is going to have to fall on the sword. I expect MB to be fired, absolutely.
He has like, 6 yrs remaining on his contract? Just don't think Geoff Molson, has the stones to do that.............

They do need a President type of figure, who MB reports to, and helps with hockey decisions...Serge Savard, may fit that bill.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
They should.. Dean Lombardi/Claude Julien combo in MTL could be deadly.. But they also have options for GM within..

But I think the writing is on the wall for MB..

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I don't think MB will be fired and I wouldn't want him fired. I believe he doesn't have much to trade to get better (as some posted, creating another hole to fill a need). As it was also mentioned, Sergachev seems to be the top value player to trade. Pacioretty should have been traded when the New-York Rangers wanted him (some years back). He is always on the same pace. When he tries to do more, it seems to be putting him out of his game (à la Thornton). The defense is above average, or average. Weber is good, I wanted Pk out (as he tried to do all by himself when things went down, took a lot of place, had stagnated) BUT, I think PK is more consistent and has more firepower than Weber, especially in the playoffs. Price is great, Elite.. regular season yes, playoff... same pace, not better. (Can't do much more with not much offense up fron though).
Anyway, Bergevin hasn't improved the team much, but it did not got worst neither. Remember, some GM pretty much destroyed their teams, Bergevin is careful not to do this. He does his homework before bringing a guy in. I wish he had kept Kassian after he got into the (whatever it is called, NHL therapy thing) after his incident. Not because Kassian is successful now, but because I felt like he could filled a need (grittiness) but... ah whatever, everything happens for a reason.
We'll see how we do next year after the Vegas expansion draft, Draft, Free Agency AND a full training camp etc. with Claude Julien as the coach. Who gets in, from the training camp. New start, still a playoff team... don't give up!

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
There's flaws on the roster he needs to address but he's far from on the chopping block

It's not that the team he has assembled is bad. But this is year 5. Can anyone honestly say this team in better shape than when he took over? Prospect system is mediocre, core is the same but is either older or didn't reach potential, Coach that he decided to build around is gone... Just seems like a ****ing mess to me. Radulov is the only real impact addition and he was pretty much begging to come here. Anyone would have signed him in Bergs position.
It's not like we are sitting here with 2-3 elite young players still growing. The time to win is right now and I don't see how the team he has assembled can do it. I don't think he was terrible but I think he has officially failed at his job.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It's not that the team he has assembled is bad. But this is year 5. Can anyone honestly say this team in better shape than when he took over? Prospect system is mediocre, core is the same but is either older or didn't reach potential, Coach that he decided to build around is gone... Just seems like a ****ing mess to me. Radulov is the only real impact addition and he was pretty much begging to come here. Anyone would have signed him in Bergs position.
It's not like we are sitting here with 2-3 elite young players still growing. The time to win is right now and I don't see how the team he has assembled can do it. I don't think he was terrible but I think he has officially failed at his job.

Bergevin got Radulov on a silver platter, but he could've very easily blew that too by questioning his character.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think he has another season... But if he fails to address our center depth and has another quick exit than I think he'll be gone.

I think it'll be another exciting summer for Habs fans actually. Another big trade on the horizon. One of Pacioretty or Galchenyuk will be moved.

My bold prediction is that Pacioretty is traded for a Center.

Weber will be named captain and Galchenyuk will be our 1 LW.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think it will mostly boils down to what Price wants to do (stay or leave) and what Bergevin will want to do after he's made aware of Price's decision. And what Molson will think of his plan at that point.

If they disagree, MB's gone. If not, he stays.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Should have gone for Duchene at all costs. It's obvious Molson will never allow a legit rebuild, so why not actually go for it ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad