Will the Habs fire their GM?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Yeah I think it might be time for the Habs to shake it up. If Radulov isn't re-signed and goes elsewhere in free agency, Bergevin is going to have little to no support from the fans.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Yeah I think it might be time for the Habs to shake it up. If Radulov isn't re-signed and goes elsewhere in free agency, Bergevin is going to have little to no support from the fans.

If you go over to the Habs forum, a great many are saying exactly this (albeit, more extreme). Sure, a lot are probably just overreacting over the recent loss but many have been complaining about the offensive woes for a great while.

I'm on the border on this one. If Bergevin doesn't get a legit #1 C or even a really good #2C who can fill in as #1C and doesn't resign Radulov, his head should roll and the Habs should really look into going full tank ala, trade Price, Pacioretty and everyone else not deemed to be the new younger core. Hope to hell it doesn't come to this but not very optimistic right now.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
"Trading for 3 bottom six players is the same as getting one top six player, right?"-Marc Bergevin at the deadline.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I'd can him personally. Trading for King and Ott and acting like everything is okay is the last straw for me. Even if you had to pay out the nose for a Duchene they should have since this team is on paper, a lot closer to being a contender than not.

Agree on the other, but disagree on this. Does Duchene make the Habs a serious contender? Not IMO, but YMMV.

While the Ott, King & Martinsen deals were questionable, just going from memory those were all really cheap trades. It's not like MB wasted prime assets for those guys, he went dumpster diving at the deadline.

Who was a significant C upgrade that got traded at the TD? Hanzel was about it, and he is not a guy you expect to carry the load offensively.

I guess if Duchene was the only upgrade available, and Sakic really was asking for Gally, Serg & 1st as MB for the good of the franchise you have to walk away, even if it costs you your job.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Oh please. There are many teams that are way more franco than the Habs. Has nothing to do with their success or lack thereof.

They lost a close series by 1 goal. Yes they need help up front, but this end of the world stuff is crazy. There are teams that have a way worse playoff record with arguably better players. San Jose comes to mind. Just look at what happened to Chicago this year, or Tampa, or look at Philly the last few years or the Islanders....I could keep going and going.

It could be A LOT worse. Yet it's the Habs GM that needs to be fired??

Given that not too many UFAs are chomping at the bit to sign here, Bergevin has put together a solid competitive team in the cap era. Not his fault sure shots couldn't find a way to score in the playoffs. People seriously need to chill. If 3 of the 4 posts that were hit in key times in this series or if the Habs capitalize on even one or two of the many more scoring chances they got we'd be in the next round. That's not on Bergevin.

Also, one could argue that signing Radulov was the best deal of the summer. So people need to sit back, and use their common sense here and a bit of perspective.

The Rangers won, credit to them. But it was as close as it gets. Welcome to the modern NHL.

Last edited:

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Oh please. There are many teams that are way more franco than the Habs. Has nothing to do with their success or lack thereof.

They lost a close series by 1 goal. Yes they need help up front, but this end of the world stuff is crazy. There are teams that have a way worse playoff record with arguably better players. San Jose comes to mind. Just look at what happened to Chicago this year, or Tampa, or look at Philly the last few years or the Islanders....I could keep going and going.

It could be A LOT worse. Yet it's the Habs GM that needs to be fired??

Given that not too many UFAs are chomping at the bit to sign here, Bergevin has put together a solid competitive team in the cap era. Not his fault sure shots couldn't find a way to score in the playoffs. People seriously need to chill. If 3 of the 4 posts that were hit in key times in this series or if the Habs capitalize on even one or two of the many more scoring chances they got we'd be in the next round. That's not on Bergevin.

Also, one could argue that signing Radulov was the best deal of the summer. So people need to sit back, and use their common sense here and a bit of perspective.

The Rangers won, credit to them. But it was as close as it gets. Welcome to the modern NHL.

Common sense says that the Habs needed a #1C for a long while. Common sense says that there has been no elite forward except one that historically disappears when it counts the most (playoffs). No offensive superstar for decades. Arguably need a #2 C as well. Offense has been bad for a long long while. This has nothing to do with the Rangers playoff series except to reinforce how bad the offense is. The Habs need a #1, C #2 C and possibly a top six winger. Common sense says that the teams offense is in need of some huge upgrades that our GM says is hard to get if not impossible unless drafted.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Most GM's get 2 coaches. He's on his second. If he can't fix the scoring issues this summer, next season will be his last.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Common sense says that the Habs needed a #1C for a long while. Common sense says that there has been no elite forward except one that historically disappears when it counts the most (playoffs). No offensive superstar for decades. Arguably need a #2 C as well. Offense has been bad for a long long while. This has nothing to do with the Rangers playoff series except to reinforce how bad the offense is. The Habs need a #1, C #2 C and possibly a top six winger. Common sense says that the teams offense is in need of some huge upgrades that our GM says is hard to get if not impossible unless drafted.

I agree. So does Bergervin. And like you, he and I, we all thought Chucky could have been that this year, but he wasn't.

I feel your pain. But look at the Islanders for example. They have one of the best centers in the game and they didn't even make the playoffs. If that team were Mtl, fans would be outraged and wanting to ship Tavares out of town. Look at TBay, yes they missed Stamkos big time, but nobody is crying outrage that they are a one-man team and need to fire Yzerman!

Think about it this way, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty score 1 goal each and we could be talking about round 2 right now. Nothing personal, but how that turns into the sky is falling fire Bergevin is completely beyond me.

It came down to Hank having a great series and bounces. That's all. It ****ing happens.

Now way do I blow this up. At least not yet.

Firing MB right now would be completely reactionary and beyond stupid and I HOPE not the way this team operates.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

I am not sure if Bergevin is the kind of guy who's willing to take chances with trades. All his trades have been pretty safe including the Weber one.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Bergevin should get fired the moment he traded PK in favour of Therrien for an older dman that's only slowing down from here.

He also should get fired for saying he wants a "Blackhawks culture". And for acquiring bottom 6 plugs to toughen and thicken up his roster to be like the prime Bruins when the name of the game in the East is speed.

He's incredibly incompetent and I'll be surprised if he's still in charge for next year. Claude is getting dealt a shi**y hand and Bergevin is at fault.

It's bad if your team's "win now" mode is not even making it past the 1st round.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They dramatically shrunk their window by choosing the older Weber over Subban. So now they basically have to go at it with this core group because the Weber contract is very difficult to move. The clock is ticking.

They don't need to think about moving the Weber contract. He's not retiring in the next three years. If he sustains a career ending injury a la Pronger during that time, they can LTIR him. Any time after that 3 years, all the stiff penalties reside with the Predators. If he were to retire during the three year window the recapture penalties to Montreal are pretty minimal.

In the end, the contract isn't that hard to move.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I agree. So does Bergervin. And like you, he and I, we all thought Chucky could have been that this year, but he wasn't.

I feel your pain. But look at the Islanders for example. They have one of the best centers in the game and they didn't even make the playoffs. If that team were Mtl, fans would be outraged and wanting to ship Tavares out of town. Look at TBay, yes they missed Stamkos big time, but nobody is crying outrage that they are a one-man team and need to fire Yzerman!

Think about it this way, Galchenyuk and Pacioretty score 1 goal each and we could be talking about round 2 right now. Nothing personal, but how that turns into the sky is falling fire Bergevin is completely beyond me.

It came down to Hank having a great series and bounces. That's all. It ****ing happens.

Firing MB right now would be completely reactionary and beyond stupid and I HOPE not the way this team operates.

If Bergevin would have added 1 top 6 forward other than Radulov in 5 years, fans might feel differently, but all Bergevin did was to add 3rd and 4th line forwards and wasted assets. He says he wants to build through the draft but trades draft picks for fringe players and 3rd lines grinder. He says its important to have good centers, doesn't get one and then says he's fine with Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell as centermen. He downgrades from a defensively sounds, puck moving, offensive minded playoffs warrior dmen to a one dimensional stay at home dmen on the decline because his buddy and coach didnt like the guy to then proceeed to fire him 6 months later.

Did you listen to his press conference the last few years?
So much ********!

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
If Bergevin would have added 1 top 6 forward other than Radulov in 5 years, fans might feel differently, but all Bergevin did was to add 3rd and 4th line forwards and wasted assets. He says he wants to build through the draft but trades draft picks for fringe players and 3rd lines grinder. He says its important to have good centers, doesn't get one and then says he's fine with Danault, Plekanec and Mitchell as centermen. He downgrades from a defensively sounds, puck moving, offensive minded playoffs warrior dmen to a one dimensional stay at home dmen on the decline because his buddy and coach didnt like the guy to then proceeed to fire him 6 months later.

Did you listen to his press conference the last few years?
So much ********!

You don't think he tried? He put together a team that perennially contends for the East ffs.

Yes we lost. But compared to other teams I mentioned, is he really the first GM that needs to be removed of his duties? I would have expected a similar thread for at least 10 other teams before the Habs.

Heck, had the Habs scored 2 more goals in the series maybe the Rangers are saying the same damn thing. It's really THAT close.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Bergevin should get fired the moment he traded PK in favour of Therrien for an older dman that's only slowing down from here.

He also should get fired for saying he wants a "Blackhawks culture". And for acquiring bottom 6 plugs to toughen and thicken up his roster to be like the prime Bruins when the name of the game in the East is speed.

He's incredibly incompetent and I'll be surprised if he's still in charge for next year. Claude is getting dealt a shi**y hand and Bergevin is at fault.

It's bad if your team's "win now" mode is not even making it past the 1st round.

I am not sure if Bergevin and Julien see the same thing with this team and want the same thing to be added or the direction it should take.

Julien must think " what the **** have i got myslef into!"

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
You don't think he tried? He put together a team that perennially contends for the East ffs.

Trades are hard to make, #1C never get traded, blah blah blah!

This team as proven it will go as far as Price takes them. Price is the Montreal Canadiens and you dont win like that.

I don't give a **** if we finish first in the east to then lose in the first round scoring only 10 goals.

This team is good enough and isnt winning anything.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Trades are hard to make, #1C never get traded, blah blah blah!

This team as proven it will go as far as Price takes them. Price is the Montreal Canadiens and you dont win like that.

I don't give a **** if we finish first in the east to then lose in the first round scoring only 10 goals.

This team is good enough and isnt winning anything.

Agree to disagree, I guess. And I say to that, careful what you wish for...

I think this team is very close and I think results prove that. Not like they got schooled by the Rangers by any stretch. I'd much rather give the guy the chance to build on this instead of starting from scratch. Just me.

The line between losing and winning is ridiculously close right now in this league.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I agree. So does Bergervin. And like you, he and I we thought Chucky could have been that this year, but he wasn't.

Umm...actually no...again, this is not about this past playoffs. The lack of a #1C has been going on for years. The lack of elite superstars has been going on for decades.

The only difference now is that we have one of the best goalies in the game with a fairly decent D group but they are all getting old so the window is closing fast yet we are no more closer to patching up the needs as we were years ago. That is the problem.

Unless the Habs somehow reigns in Kovalchuk and/or one of the other Russians or pull some miraculous trade for a #1 C (let alone a #2 C) what other practical way is there to shore up the offense? Again, this has nothing to do with the Rangers. It's a question of "What are the chances of winning the cup with this group of players" and the answer is, unless Price goes into God mode ala Roy, none, zip, nada.

Habs fan don't really care about coming in 2nd or some other close finish. It's been decades since the last cup, at this point the only thing that matters is going for the cup. Who cares about the Rangers, it's getting past everyone else that's the problem.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Yes we lost. But compared to other teams I mentioned, is he really the first GM that needs to be removed of his duties? I would have expected a similar thread for at least 10 other teams before the Habs.

Heck, had the Habs scored 2 more goals in the series maybe the Rangers are saying the same damn thing. It's really THAT close.

This team isnt good enough to win anything. It lacks 2 top centermen, a top 6 winger and a offensive dmen.

Our prospects pool isnt much to brag about beside maybe Sergachev who's at least 2 years of been able to make some kind of impact with the team.

The window is closing this season and i dont trust Bergevin's ability to improve the team significantly to make a serious push in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad