Will the Habs fire their GM?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Should have gone for Duchene at all costs. It's obvious Molson will never allow a legit rebuild, so why not actually go for it ?

Do you know the price they were asking for Duchene? I'm glad MB back off, Duchene isn't even that great of a player in the first place. Go hard on Tavares (if contract renewal) ok yes then thats worth giving key assets.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Do you know the price they were asking for Duchene? I'm glad MB back off, Duchene isn't even that great of a player in the first place. Go hard on Tavares (if contract renewal) ok yes then thats worth giving key assets.

the only way to lure tavares wouldve been to keep subban (they are best friends since childhood)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Any GM giving up massive future assets for a 41 point centre in Duchense needs their head examined. He's not that good. Not even sure you can characterize him as a #1 C.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Bergevin got Radulov on a silver platter, but he could've very easily blew that too by questioning his character.

Lucic was his plan A . Just think about how much of a disaster that would have been. Just shows you how out of touch he is to what it takes to win in today's NHL. It's like he doesn't think you need to score goals to win games and it's been like that since he got here.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
i sure hope not, no offense habs fans, i'm sure you would wish the same on us.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Why did he load up on slow 4th liners at the deadline?

Everyone knew our need was help for the top6 at the deadline, but MB mentally always been; character > skill. He values also depth a lot, he repeatedly explains after his transactions by "you never have enough depth". He seems very bias in over-evaluating the type of player he actually was; boring defensive defenseman, 3rd pairing, character guy, doing the safe plays, with no offensive upside.

He is good at finding solid depth guys with character/responsible defensively in bargain deals that can contribute in the bottom of your lineup; Byron, Danault, Benn, Mitchell, Weise, ...

But, he is very bad at evaluating skill/talent though;
- The first skilled player he signed was Briere, which was a big failure, it was pretty obvious to everyone that he was already done has a top6 player in the NHL.
- He then traded Briere for Parenteau, who didn't help our top6 either, you could argued that there was somewhat of a small upgrade, but Parenteau cost .5M more with 1 extra year, which meant we ended up buying out the extra year. Another fail.
- He gave a 3.5M/4y contract extension to Desharnais when they were no need to commit for that kind of term, even more so for that amount of money. Desharnais had amplified stats because he somehow managed to be in the 1C position, but even at that point it was pretty easy to see his limited offensive ability and possible contribution. They are obvious big red flags when a player starts aging considering his size and speed.
- He signed Gilbert who was supposed to have some offensive upside to his game and help our 2nd PP, Gilbert did 12P in 72G and 2P in 45G (the drop is due to the fact that we add to remove him from the PP, since he didn't belong there whatsoever).
- He then sign Semin, another player who was the shadow of who he once was offensively. Definitely a fail.
- Minor move, he traded some skill in Andrighetto for physicality in Martinsen. Didn't work out in our favor.
- Since he is here we also increase the amount of grinder/character type player drafted over skilled players, none of those type of picks seem to be working out.
- He signed Radulov though which is obviously a great signing. I think most teams would have wanted Radulov on that deal. I would attribute this signing more to luck over giving MB credits, since Radulov simply wanted to come play in a hockey city like MTL (liked his time in the QMJHL). In fact, Radulov refused bigger deals from other teams. Even though it turns out in our favors, MB should have been ready to give more money/term over taking the risk on missing on Radulov in my opinion. I don't know what is plan B was... missing on Radulov would have been a big blow to MTL.
- Finally he traded Subban for Weber, since in his logic character/leadership > raw talent. The consensus is telling me that we didn't won that deal.

Last edited:

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
They should, but it's too late (the roster is already too flawed to become a legit contender after years of his bungling & tinkering with "depth" players), they won't, and even if they did, they'd somehow find another mediocre / inept bum to replace him.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Radulov signing was the only good impact move he has made. He should be fired. He has been there long with not enough progress.

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Doesn't look like any big changes are coming while Bergevin is in charge. Staying the course, will probably resign Price to a big contract. Full steam ahead to mediocrity.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The Radulov signing was the only good impact move he has made. He should be fired. He has been there long with not enough progress.

Even then a lot of Habs fans say he doesn't get all the credit for that. Shea Weber and apparently Andrei Markov had a lot to do with convincing him to come to Montreal.

So at most, he gets credit for the Petry trade and getting Vanek for peanuts back in 2014. Otherwise he hasn't done much.

I'd can him personally. Trading for King and Ott and acting like everything is okay is the last straw for me. Even if you had to pay out the nose for a Duchene they should have since this team is on paper, a lot closer to being a contender than not.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Any GM giving up massive future assets for a 41 point centre in Duchense needs their head examined. He's not that good. Not even sure you can characterize him as a #1 C.

compared to danault, he might as well be crosby.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Even then a lot of Habs fans say he doesn't get all the credit for that. Shea Weber and apparently Andrei Markov had a lot to do with convincing him to come to Montreal.

So at most, he gets credit for the Petry trade and getting Vanek for peanuts back in 2014. Otherwise he hasn't done much.

I'd can him personally. Trading for King and Ott and acting like everything is okay is the last straw for me. Even if you had to pay out the nose for a Duchene they should have since this team is on paper, a lot closer to being a contender than not.

I'm sorry he gets credit for signing a ufa to be who WAS going to tests the FA market who did a patioretty impersonation before patioretty made it cool ?

it was a low risk gamble that didnt work out. If he gets credit for anything its not chasing him afterwards and letting him walk.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well he just said that you don't need a 1C to win the cup so.

it depends on what your definition of a " 1C" is, is.

I think ive heard something similar before . because if there is one thing you want your GM to have, its not vision but a penchant for semantic arguments.

And outside of the devils, im not sure who he means.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
People are too negative here. I think they might very well extend Bergervin. Everyone is mad that the habs were eliminated in the playoffs but just look at the progress

- The team Bergervin put together post deadline dominated the Rangers in the game and only a vezina quality effort from Lundqvuist beat them.
- Bergervin upgraded the coach - a gutsy but smart move
- They have a prospect pool that is the envy of many GMs (sergachev, etc)
- Bergervin added a ton of character, grit, size and veteran experience. There is more to do here but Habs are not the laughing stock for being small, soft players.

Give this a week to blow over and doubters will realize it was Lundqvuist and not anything else was the big problem. Keep with the plan and stick to the process

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
People are too negative here. I think they might very well extend Bergervin. Everyone is mad that the habs were eliminated in the playoffs but just look at the progress

- The team Bergervin put together post deadline dominated the Rangers in the game and only a vezina quality effort from Lundqvuist beat them.
- Bergervin upgraded the coach - a gutsy but smart move
- They have a prospect pool that is the envy of many GMs (sergachev, etc)
- Bergervin added a ton of character, grit, size and veteran experience. There is more to do here but Habs are not the laughing stock for being small, soft players.

Give this a week to blow over and doubters will realize it was Lundqvuist and not anything else was the big problem. Keep with the plan and stick to the process

1. Yes, close series, but this was just the 1st round.
2. MT should have been fired a ages ago. Better late than never I guess, but I don't see how this was gutsy.
3. No, not really.
4. This team need skill, not grit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad