Will the Habs fire their GM?

Natural Habs Fan

Nov 28, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think he's been that bad. Still not sure about the Subban/Weber deal. I love Subban but Weber has been great. It'd of been nice to luck out and draft a McDavid or Matthews but that's wasn't in the cards for us. I'm hoping he can make a deal for Duchene this summer. After all these years we still really need a legit #1 C

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They should, but the real problem is the owner. He has no idea what he's doing. Molson needs to totally remove himself from involvement with the team, and Bergevin needs to go. Keep Julien and Waite. Clean house at the top.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't think he's been that bad. Still not sure about the Subban/Weber deal. I love Subban but Weber has been great. It'd of been nice to luck out and draft a McDavid or Matthews but that's wasn't in the cards for us. I'm hoping he can make a deal for Duchene this summer. After all these years we still really need a legit #1 C

I think the only way that happens is if you get a new GM who's willing to offer up Sergachev, it was pretty clear talks ended when he was taken off the table. It's a shame really, Duchene would be amazing for your team and is pretty much exactly what you guys need. With as much as he's gushed about MTL being his second fav team, I seriously doubt he'd be difficult to resign. He'd love it up there.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Team has been starving for offence for 5 plus years and he's done nothing to improve it . The team hasn't improved since he was hired, if they don't make it to at least the conference finals he deserves the axe imo. It's the bed he made when he traded our best skater and playoff performer for a player 4 years older.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They should, but the real problem is the owner. He has no idea what he's doing. Molson needs to totally remove himself from involvement with the team, and Bergevin needs to go. Keep Julien and Waite. Clean house at the top.

Complete bs. Blaming a guy whose only direct involvement on the team is hiring a GM and paying the players.

Most teams would love to have an owner like Molson who's willing to spend any amount of money to make the team better.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Complete bs. Blaming a guy whose only direct involvement on the team is hiring a GM and paying the players.

Most teams would love to have an owner like Molson who's willing to spend any amount of money to make the team better.

Not true. He meddles. He stepped in on the Subban deal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It was originally a choice between Bergevin and Pierre McGuire.

Habs were screwed either way.

I sad this during the "Let's Fire Therrien" comments from Hab fans. You can't just say "Fire" a guy. The Habs have BY FAR the worst pool of candidates for GM and coach of any NHL team. They're in a really crappy situation and it hurts their organization.
When Julien got fired they really had to jump on that. That opportunity does not come around often.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
The Habs really handicap themselves by requiring their staff to be bilingual instead of just hiring the best people for the job.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Extremely overrated GM. Still remember when Habs fans were shoving "Bergevin is the best GM!!!!" down our throats.

Really screwed up by giving Subban a bridge deal instead of agreeing to his terms.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There's no shame if the Habs lose to the Rangers. The Rangers were the best road team in the league this year, and were 9th overall. The Habs were only 1 point ahead of them and that was with a much easier divisional schedule.

So, no, I don't think Bergevin will be fired even if the Rangers win in 6.

It has nothing to do with losing to New York. Bergevin had six years to build this team and the best he's accomplish is signing Radulov and trading for Petry. That's simply embarrassing. When he came into this organization, we needed a top six center, a scoring winger and someone to compliment our #1 defenseman (at the time, Markov). As of next season our needs are, a top six center, a scoring winger (two if Radulov doesn't re-sign) and someone to compliment our #1 defenseman.

Keep in mind, unlike other teams where the GM comes into a tire fire, Bergevin walked into arguably one of the cushiest jobs imaginable. He had the third overall pick, a top tier goalie who was only in his mid twenties, a solid two way forward and a budding #1 defenseman also in his mid twenties.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So back to hating the Subban for Weber trade? It's funny how people have flip flopped on that deal.

People were enraged on the Habs side when it was first made, then they were happy with it back in October and saying they won the deal, then sometime since then it's back to being enraged again.

I always maintained Subban was better, now and going forward. It doesn't surprise me that Bergevin doesn't agree and puts a premium on things like physicality, which is why Steve Ott is dressing for playoff games in the year 2017, despite being a legit bottom 5 regular roster player in the league. Big assist to Ken Holland for being the caveman to originally sign Ott to an NHL contract this past Summer.

The one good thing Bergevin has done in a long time is sign Radulov. He's been their best player this series.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
So back to hating the Subban for Weber trade? It's funny how people have flip flopped on that deal.

People were enraged on the Habs side when it was first made, then they were happy with it back in October and saying they won the deal, then sometime since then it's back to being enraged again.

I always maintained Subban was better, now and going forward. It doesn't surprise me that Bergevin doesn't agree and puts a premium on things like physicality, which is why Steve Ott is dressing for playoff games in the year 2017, despite being a legit bottom 5 regular roster player in the league. Big assist to Ken Holland for being the caveman to originally sign Ott to an NHL contract this past Summer.

The one good thing Bergevin has done in a long time is sign Radulov. He's been their best player this series.

If you checked the Habs board at all this season, you'd know the Subban trade was still widely hated despite Weber playing well. Some merely came to terms with it, but the vast majority would undo it in a nanosecond if it were possible.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If you checked the Habs board at all this season, you'd know the Subban trade was still widely hated despite Weber playing well. Some merely came to terms with it, but the vast majority would undo it in a nanosecond if it were possible.

I remember in October, there was a vocal crowd on the main boards (perhaps a minority among Habs fans though) that was crediting Weber with all kinds of weird things. From the hot start, to Al Montoya having like a .960 save percentage over his first 4 starts. They seemed to pipe down after the 10 goal against game. I tried to point out that Mike Condon had a pretty amazing first 10 games and the Habs started off even hotter last season with Subban, it either fell on deaf ears or was just laughed at by those people.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I remember in October, there was a vocal crowd on the main boards (perhaps a minority among Habs fans though) that was crediting Weber with all kinds of weird things. From the hot start, to Al Montoya having like a .960 save percentage over his first 4 starts. They seemed to pipe down after the 10 goal against game. I tried to point out that Mike Condon had a pretty amazing first 10 games and the Habs started off even hotter last season with Subban, it either fell on deaf ears or was just laughed at by those people.

It was a rough time to be critical of Bergevin when Weber was pounding home goals against our soft as baby-**** schedule to start the year. It got really nasty. Personal, even. I saw literal threats of violence against people who supported P.K. against management. I was even called a fascist by one poster during the summer.

A lot of this divide comes from RDS and the rest of the french language media. Not because they're french, mind you, it's just the way it is. They've been running interference for Bergevin since the Subban bridge deal. There are people on the habs board right now - post first round elimination, post worst season collapse in the most historical club's history - who say that Bergevin is one of the best GM's in the entire league. There's a disconnect between reality and perception right now in habs land.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Probably a vocal minority. There were a few frequent posters taking every opportunity to slam Subban almost as a way to counterbalance everyone hating on Weber and the trade. Some just genuinely cannot bring themselves to criticise management.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Habs kinda have no choice but to ride out the next couple of years IMO.

They dramatically shrunk their window by choosing the older Weber over Subban. So now they basically have to go at it with this core group because the Weber contract is very difficult to move. The clock is ticking.

Long term, I think they would have been better off even just asking for Draisaitl + Sekera or something if I'm honest.

Also the whole thing is a case study in how a bridge deal can blow up in your face big time for all the people who thought bridge deals were great.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The Habs kinda have no choice but to ride out the next couple of years IMO.

They dramatically shrunk their window by choosing the older Weber over Subban. So now they basically have to go at it with this core group because the Weber contract is very difficult to move. The clock is ticking.

Long term, I think they would have been better off even just asking for Draisaitl + Sekera or something if I'm honest.

Also the whole thing is a case study in how a bridge deal can blow up in your face big time for all the people who thought bridge deals were great.

Do we know for sure what was on the table with the Oilers? Bunch of names got thrown around on HF, but anything factual?

As for the Habs current predicament, it's either go all in with what we got or rebuild. I don't trust Bergevin to do either one of these things.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Acquiring useless plugs like Ott Benn and king at the deadline when your team is a joke offensively is a huge fail by the gm. Fire him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad