Will the Habs fire their GM?

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I know the series isn't over yet, but if the Habs lose to the Ranges, do they fire their GM?

He sided with the coach over Subban, resulting in trading their elite puck moving defenseman in his prime for an older past his prime defenseman. That same coach ended up getting fired a few months anyway, while Subban's team just swept the Chicago Blackhawks and are looking like the favorite to come out of the west.

His team has had scoring issues for how man years now and all he has to show for it is the Radulov signing (which was a great pickup but not enough). His team conitnues to struggle to score in the playoffs, with their leading scorer becoming a ghost yet again.

Is he done after this?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Should have traded Subban for Hall, then Pacioretty for Larsson.

:sarcasm:

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
He should have been fired (with Therrien) last summer before the Subban trade. This summer? I'm not holding my breath. The Habs organization is a joke. Our owner doesn't have a clue.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Most of us have wanted him gone a long time ago.

the ask from the habs was a lot more then hall

key pieces were Leon D, klefbom something else and the 16 first pizza

bur I agree MB screwed things up to a point

That 16 first pizza was the sticking point in discussions.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
His inactivity/loyalty to Therrien is a lot more troublesome than his actual trading and signings - while not a fan at all of the Subban trade at all, Weber isn't washed-up and is elite as well - and his inability to fix an offense that been our demise for countless playoff exits over the past few years. He deserves a firing.

RandR

May 15, 2011
There's no shame if the Habs lose to the Rangers. The Rangers were the best road team in the league this year, and were 9th overall. The Habs were only 1 point ahead of them and that was with a much easier divisional schedule.

So, no, I don't think Bergevin will be fired even if the Rangers win in 6.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Sabres owner sided with eichel and fired the coach, (I totally belief Jack said that they're just protecting him) and molson should of sided with Suuban and fire both bergevin if Bergeron wouldn't get rid of MT himself.

These guys are elite so when elite players have problems u treat them because coaches come and go and are not the ones on the ice at the end of the day.

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I would hope that MB would be fired because I want someone who is going to fix this offence once and for all.

The only thing that is holding this organisation back is the politics. Because of the french speaking requirement I don't see a whole lot of candidates available to replace him.

I think Molson just stays the course

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Nope. Molson couldn't care less where the team goes in the playoffs. As long as we are in the playoffs, he is a happy man. Anything more is just a bonus. He is absolutely clueless.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Weber trade only makes sense for Montreal if they went all-in after that, to try to win while Weber is still relevant and Price is still signed. Duchene was available, they shouldn't have bothered with the Weber trade without making another trade of similar calibre.

They pretty much committed to being pretty good, but not a legit top contender. And that will only slide backwards as Weber ages.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
While I think Subban's longterm value exceeds Weber's longterm value, how has anything that's happened this year shown the trade to be wrong? Weber had a good season, and is having a great playoffs. The team is in a competitive series with another very good team.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
While I think Subban's longterm value exceeds Weber's longterm value, how has anything that's happened this year shown the trade to be wrong? Weber had a good season, and is having a great playoffs. The team is in a competitive series with another very good team.

This "firing" topic is about Bergevin's sole move of trading Subban. It's a combination of factors, one being trading a prime-aged, mobile defenseman like Subban when we don't have anyone else like him in our organization to fill the void and bring what he did, but in my mind, more importantly it's the fact that he's been at the helm for five years and everyone and their grandmother knows how badly we've needed to add top-six talent and find a long-term solution to our offensive woes but Bergevin has constantly neglected to do so. He brought Vanek in as a rental for a couple of months, he tried going cheap and signing Semin which failed, and he brought Radulov in for a year but when he actually did bring in a talented top-six forward, another one fell off big time (Plekanec) so we had the same hole in an even harder position to fill. Five years of this. Not to mention the player development in the organization since he took over has taken a big hit.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The hell do you want him to do?..... The way to win a championship today is to tank and build around your elite centre and Dman. Until then, good luck.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Nope. Molson couldn't care less where the team goes in the playoffs. As long as we are in the playoffs, he is a happy man. Anything more is just a bonus. He is absolutely clueless.

How stupid could that be:help:

Playoffs are free money since players are not paid. Every game brings an extra 2M+

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
The guy's a mix-bag.

He's ok, if you exclude the turdrribles Subban Trade and the foxhole episode with Michel Therrien.

Some hits (Lekhonen, Radulov (!!!!! <3), Vanek) and some misses (Semin, Scriven, freaking King, etc)

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If they were going to fire him they wouldn't have let him sign a coach for 5 years two months ago.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
they just have to improve their offensive depth a bit, and they will be so dangerous, thanks to price habs are just minor tweaks away imo

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I know the series isn't over yet, but if the Habs lose to the Ranges, do they fire their GM?

He sided with the coach over Subban, resulting in trading their elite puck moving defenseman in his prime for an older past his prime defenseman. That same coach ended up getting fired a few months anyway, while Subban's team just swept the Chicago Blackhawks and are looking like the favorite to come out of the west.

His team has had scoring issues for how man years now and all he has to show for it is the Radulov signing (which was a great pickup but not enough). His team conitnues to struggle to score in the playoffs, with their leading scorer becoming a ghost yet again.

Is he done after this?

Weber has been better than Subban this season and during these playoffs. So that trade has not been a negative for MB (at least not yet).

He brought in Radulov who is the habs best forward. He got a 20 goalscorer (Byron) for free. He got a 2nd line center (Danault) + 2nd round pick for basically nothing (Weise + Fleishmann). He got Benn, who is a very good bottom pairing defenseman, for a struggling 7th D (pateryn).

Oh and he also got a top 5 coach in the nhl, who is the best current coach who can speak french.

He hadn't done much in his first 3-4 years in terms of improving the team, but the past year he did a tremendous job.

I think he's going hard this summer again, and sign guys like Shipachev, Dadonov, etc. who will help the habs a lot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2