Will the Great 8 score 895?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
It's a tall order and requires all the stars to align perfectly, i.e. no major injuries. A lockout might already be enough to stop it from happening.

But great stuff, not at all nerdy :thumbu:

Reactions: NotProkofievian

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Meh. Bure was better. If there was no two line pass rule and the rules were called like today, that guy could have scored 100 in a season without a doubt.

With no two line pass rule, defenseman position themselves further back in the neutral zone. I don't think it's a given that he'd have dramatically more breakaways. Player are probably less likely to find themselves with a half-sheet of open ice.

Gretzky also scored in 92 and also scored 87 once and twice scored in the 70's. If you want to be considered better than Gretzky, then you have to score 93 in a season. No one will ever do that again.

It's almost as if sports change over time.

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
With no two line pass rule, defenseman position themselves further back in the neutral zone. I don't think it's a given that he'd have dramatically more breakaways. Player are probably less likely to find themselves with a half-sheet of open ice.

It's almost as if sports change over time.

Exact, can’t compare era, hockey changed a lot since then

Goalies ability, speed of the game, size, that’s why hockey IQ is so important now, players have to react rapidly to make plays,

To be able to succeed now, shows how skilled they are

We as fans have to look at the whole thing and not just stats

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I think what is not being represented here is how long Backstrom plays with him. He and Ovi had a really great connection and I think if Backstrom's career is interrupted we'll see Ovi's goals drop a bit

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ovechkin strikes me as the type of player who will want to go for the record.

Also - i was EXTREMELY impressed by his last 2 seasons. I expected him to slowly decline - or maybe even phone it in after the cup and have a slower season - but he had a fantastic season and played amazing in the playoffs again (round 1 loss though). It seems like he still has a bit left in the tank.

I say he break the record

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Nope. Every year, especially based on his line mates also, he gets older. The body really starts to show a hockey players age at 35. Just 2 30 goal seasons back to back, you have to factor in that is 2 more years added to his age.

He's been looking chunkier as the years go by. And, now he is coming to camp out of shape. Then he gets to game shape after a few months and starts lighting it up.

And to be fair, Gretzky did it in 1487 games. Ovechkin would need to score 237 in 403 games and each year that ticks by ages OVI.
But Gretzky really slowed down in his last 4 seasons only scoring 65 total.

Gretzky also scored in 92 and also scored 87 once and twice scored in the 70's. If you want to be considered better than Gretzky, then you have to score 93 in a season. No one will ever do that again.

Also, goaltending plays a huge part and there were many teams in the East upgrade their goaltending and many teams upgraded their defence. For his prime years he had terrible teams in Toronto, New Jersey, Buffalo, Carolina and a few others to pick apart.

I don't think he will even beat Howe. I think Ovi will finish with about 780 goals. Still pretty good, but closer to Hull than Gretzky.

If anyone could have beat Gretzky it would have been Hull. Hull scored 741 in only 1269 games. Had he played another 220 games, he likely would have scored another 140 goals leaving him with 881. Had that happened you can bet Hull would have played long enough to beat the record.

But that's only regular season goals. Gretzky also scored 122 to Ovi's 65.

Nope, sorry Ovi lovers, but I think he will be the 3rd or 4th best goal scorer of all time. And even though Howe had more goals than Hull, Hull shooting percentage was off the charts. Ovi Certainly not the best and not better than Hull, but possibly better than Howe.

Only time will tell.

Your own post completely destroys your argument. I highlighted two phrases (that you said) for you that when paired together should open your eyes. Try again.

Reactions: iamjs

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People like you make me realize that there are fans out there that don't have a clue about hockey...like you.

OvEcHkIn NeEdS tO ScOrE 90 GoALs

Ovechkin may not hit Gretzky’s numbers, but could possibly still have the most 50+ goal seasons in history. Maybe that should tell you something about this era.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
You mean the playoffs against a lower seeded team with 2 career back up goalies that some how looked elite against the great 8, Mr. 895. Why yes, I did watch that.
Looked elite against Ovechkin?? He was OVER a PPG. While having to deal with Slavin who is an elite shutdown d-man.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No that's ridiculous

Why is it ridiculous? He's close enough to it to have a realistic chance at breaking it.

Not a chance.
He'll be 34 years old this season.

And if he plays until he's 42-45? Selanne played until he was like 43 and Ovechkin is a lot less injury prone than he was. He's built like a tank, if he wants the record he'll get it.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Why is it ridiculous? He's close enough to it to have a realistic chance at breaking it.

And if he plays until he's 42-45? Selanne played until he was like 43 and Ovechkin is a lot less injury prone than he was. He's built like a tank, if he wants the record he'll get it.
I think you gravely underestimate how quickly the drop off can be from their 30s to their 40s no matter how good of a shape they are in.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012

With a lockout likely and with his body being more susceptible to injury as he ages, Ovechkin will easily miss more games in the future and his gpg will drop.
I just don't see it. Tank or not, mother nature always wins. It happens to everyone.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Your own post completely destroys your argument. I highlighted two phrases (that you said) for you that when paired together should open your eyes. Try again.
Pairing together
  • Gretzky scored 92 goals (in 1981-82)
  • Gretzky twice scored in the 70s (71 in 1982-83, 73 in 1984-85)
...opens eyes to see what exactly?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Because he is 34 and will have to keep up his current pace up until close to 40 and that's not going happen that's not realistic and I think you know that

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
people who try to diminish his greatness either by insults, or by giving sly, backhanded compliments. here the poster was saying how OV could still reach the mark, but used the "he only stands in one spot" card
I mean there's one persistent poster right now doing this very thing, skinnyFAT whatever. He's basically every single false Ovechkin generality wrapped into one.

Reactions: varank

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Nope. Every year, especially based on his line mates also, he gets older. The body really starts to show a hockey players age at 35. Just 2 30 goal seasons back to back, you have to factor in that is 2 more years added to his age.

He's been looking chunkier as the years go by. And, now he is coming to camp out of shape. Then he gets to game shape after a few months and starts lighting it up.

And to be fair, Gretzky did it in 1487 games. Ovechkin would need to score 237 in 403 games and each year that ticks by ages OVI.
But Gretzky really slowed down in his last 4 seasons only scoring 65 total.

Also, goaltending plays a huge part and there were many teams in the East upgrade their goaltending and many teams upgraded their defence. For his prime years he had terrible teams in Toronto, New Jersey, Buffalo, Carolina and a few others to pick apart.

I don't think he will even beat Howe. I think Ovi will finish with about 780 goals. Still pretty good, but closer to Hull than Gretzky.

If anyone could have beat Gretzky it would have been Hull. Hull scored 741 in only 1269 games. Had he played another 220 games, he likely would have scored another 140 goals leaving him with 881. Had that happened you can bet Hull would have played long enough to beat the record.

But that's only regular season goals. Gretzky also scored 122 to Ovi's 65.

Nope, sorry Ovi lovers, but I think he will be the 3rd or 4th best goal scorer of all time. And even though Howe had more goals than Hull, Hull shooting percentage was off the charts. Ovi Certainly not the best and not better than Hull, but possibly better than Howe.

Only time will tell.
The bolded revelation just absolutely blew my mind. I can't believe Ovechkin is the only player in the NHL that gets older on an annual basis.

Reactions: Casanova and varank

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I think what is not being represented here is how long Backstrom plays with him. He and Ovi had a really great connection and I think if Backstrom's career is interrupted we'll see Ovi's goals drop a bit
Ovechkin has shown that he can play and get the most out of multiple C's. Kuznetsov's best seasons are with Ovechkin. I mean sure, Backstrom definitely helps him but Ovechkin has helped Backy just as much.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Pairing together
  • Gretzky scored 92 goals (in 1981-82)
  • Gretzky twice scored in the 70s (71 in 1982-83, 73 in 1984-85)
...opens eyes to see what exactly?
I think someone was confused when you said in the 70's twice thinking the 1970's? Other then that I can't see what they mean either and I agree with you.

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
With a lockout likely and with his body being more susceptible to injury as he ages, Ovechkin will easily miss more games in the future and his gpg will drop.
I just don't see it. Tank or not, mother nature always wins. It happens to everyone.

Didn't Selanne score something like 100 goals across his age 35 and 36 seasons?

It happens differently for everyone; mother nature will eventually beat him, but he just might get 237 more goals before it does.

Put another way, if he scores at Selanne's mid-30s rate for the next three seasons, he needs around 100 goals between ages 37 and retirement. That's not too crazy.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If or When he gets to 800, I think the entire league is going to want him to get 895.

Even Crosby, and Malkin. Even Gretzky himself. Entirety of Russia.

Having OV break a ridiculous record like that, would greatly legitimize this era in history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad