Will the Great 8 score 895?

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
If Ovi didn't miss nearly 1.5 season due to player-owner disputes I think he had a good chance to beat 99s raw goals record in a lower scoring era.

Here's a factoid. Among the top four currently in goals scored (Pasta, AM, Ovi, McK), Ovi is about TEN YEARS older than the other three :amazed:

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
Gretzky hadn’t been an especially productive goal scorer since he first arrived in LA (relative to era/previous production). Even by his last season in Edmonton he was firmly a pass-first player. His skillset was such that he didn’t have to be the trigger man. Then he had the injury issues in the early 90s.

Point being, he tailed off for reasons that are unique to him. With Ovechkin, everything is riding on health and desire to keep playing.
While he was tailing off goal scoring anyway, most did when they passed 30, Ovi is just a freak, the back injuries made the fall off seem worse. He was still an assist machine, but the back just wouldn't allow him to be the goal scorer he once was. Gretzky, always humble will say he never really suffered any injuries, far from true unfortunately. Could have been a 950 or so career goal scorer. Pretty sure his 1016 Regular season plus playoff goals are safe.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ovechkin has only 2 years left on his contract, then he's UFA. Your silly charts fail to take into account the chance that Ovechkin signs with the Oilers and spends the next 4 years on a lawnchair, slapping McDavids passes from the faceoff circles

Lmao

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
While he was tailing off goal scoring anyway, most did when they passed 30, Ovi is just a freak, the back injuries made the fall off seem worse. He was still an assist machine, but the back just wouldn't allow him to be the goal scorer he once was. Gretzky, always humble will say he never really suffered any injuries, far from true unfortunately. Could have been a 950 or so career goal scorer. Pretty sure his 1016 Regular season plus playoff goals are safe.

Agree with all of that.

I’m a huge Gretzky fan. Had his jersey as a kid, and remember staying up past midnight on a school night to see him score #802. Ovechkin, being the greatest player to play for my favorite team, is the ONLY player I’d be happy to see break that record. Even then it’ll be little bittersweet.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad