Will the Great 8 score 895?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The biggest x-factor here is what Ovechkin wants to do. He keeps on getting closer and closer, to the point where it almost feels like a certainty that he can surpass it looking at numbers today. But it'll depend how badly he wants to.

Maybe by age 38, he'll have won another cup, maybe 2 - and maybe he'll be longing to retire and enjoy life, maybe go back to Russia, and not want to deal with the grueling schedule anymore. Does he commit to a whole extra year of his life, 82 grueling game - just to try and get the 31 goals he's missing to hit the record? And what if he only scores 27 that year - does he then commit two more such years of his life?
Or even worst - maybe he declines significantly in the next 2-3 years, and decides he doesn't want to play an extra season or two as a support player in a less important role, just to chase a record.

I know fans are super excited about him breaking the record - but i think a lot of it will depend on how bad he wants it. He can probably hit it for sure if he plays till ages 41, 42+, even with decline. But will he want to? If he remains elite longer - it increases the likelihood he'd stick around.

It's a myth TV that Ovechkin wants to play in the khl. As far as I can see he will take a management job with the capitals upon retiring. For signals on Ov see what Backstrom does

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I honestly believe Ovi could play until he's 50 or older. He just has the body to do it. But I do believe as well he hits 900 goals, or if Ovi wants 895. Ovi I think plays in Russia if the NHL doesn't let him play in the Olympics.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
when he hangs em up he will have over 1000

He might have 1000 of something but it won't be 1000 goals.

I honestly doubt that he will even cross 1000 NHL goals even if you added up the regular season and playoffs.

he is already the best goalscorer of all time IMO and the rest of the story is just going to be interesting.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think he’ll keep playing until he breaks it. If, hypothetically, he gets 14 more goals this season, that’ll put him 190 goals short. I see no reason why he couldn’t play until he was 41 (seven more seasons) if he wanted to, and he’d only have to average about 27 goals per year. If he played until he was 42 (eight seasons), he wouldn’t even have to average 25 per year.

Last edited:

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
i dont think he breaks it.. however I think he finishes 2nd all tme in goals.. somewhere around 840-860.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Crazy he's gotten this close. His raw strength and athleticism should allow him to have a Jagr like decline, so I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect him to be able to play up until at least 40. That gives him 6 more seasons after this one.

After this year, he'll likely only need about 185 more goals to break the record. I'd say it's likely he breaks the record if he plays until 40. Heck, there's a good chance he could break 800 goals before he's 37. That would give him 4 full years to score 95 more. If Jagr could score 83 goals in 4 years between age 41 and 44, I think Ovechkin could easily do 95 between 37 and 40.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's a myth TV that Ovechkin wants to play in the khl. As far as I can see he will take a management job with the capitals upon retiring. For signals on Ov see what Backstrom does

I wasnt so much talking about KHL as much as return to live home in Russia. Dont know much about his personal life, but many European athletes go back to live home after their career. By age ~38 thats likely to be an important dynamic in his decision to keep playing or not

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the numbers are pretty straight forward. If Ovechkin scores only 50 this year, that sets him 186 goals from the record. He is on pace for 57 this season. That leaves him 179 short. If he has just one more near 50 goal season, that drops him into the 130ish range as his new contract starts. That's 4 seasons averaging around 32 per season. Frankly, at that point I would say its pretty likely.

Curious in history, how many players have scored 30+ as a 37, 38, 39 year old...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wasnt so much talking about KHL as much as return to live home in Russia. Dont know much about his personal life, but many European athletes go back to live home after their career. By age ~38 thats likely to be an important dynamic in his decision to keep playing or not

Honestly, you cant suggest future behavior on the part of Ovechkin unless you have an idea of what he is like. He is an NHL player first and foremost. That was his dream and desire and that remains the case. He has an usually close relationship with the owner of the team as does Backstrom. I am not sure that Ov plays until they rip the uniform off of him but that's more likely than him quitting early.

He wants his son to watch him play. Just like people thought the Caps would recruit top Russian players around they league and didn't, Ovechkin loves to play for his country but that is not the same as playing IN his country.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Curious in history, how many players have scored 30+ as a 37, 38, 39 year old...

You can manipulate the age. I don't think it's an accumulative number and only players that specific age but it happens a lot more than I though it would have. The base problem though is still, who can you compare Ovechkin to? He's not normal in a group of abnormal players.
36-Year Old NHL Players - Regular Season Stats

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You can manipulate the age. I don't think it's an accumulative number and only players that specific age but it happens a lot more than I though it would have. The base problem though is still, who can you compare Ovechkin to? He's not normal in a group of abnormal players.
36-Year Old NHL Players - Regular Season Stats

thanks, looks like 38 is where the road really gets tough....

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Out of curiosity, why a Gaussian (normal) distribution rather than the Poisson distribution?

So, the \lambda parameter in a poisson distribution would be the rate over a fixed period, whereas there's a latent random variable in this case being the number of games played. So, when you take a sample of the poisson distribution to get a positive integer being the number of goals he scored in a season, you would have to find some way to deal with the games played. I suppose you could do this with truncation or subsampling. This is not to say that a.) I even considered the poisson distribution at first, so thanks for making me think of it, and b.) that a gaussian is best. Just some thoughts.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
thanks, looks like 38 is where the road really gets tough....

Which makes all of the “if he plays to 41...” comments pretty comical. The “he only needs to average...” stuff is fine to discuss, but it’s disconnected from reality.

Gretzky was completely shot at 37. The idea of him continuing another 4 seasons is painful. If anything, I think he stayed 1 year too long.

Anything is possible (guy is coming off back-to-back hat tricks) but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he tops out at 35 goals next season and declines from there.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Which makes all of the “if he plays to 41...” comments pretty comical. The “he only needs to average...” stuff is fine to discuss, but it’s disconnected from reality.

Gretzky was completely shot at 37. The idea of him continuing another 4 seasons is painful. If anything, I think he stayed 1 year too long.

Anything is possible (guy is coming off back-to-back hat tricks) but I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he tops out at 35 goals next season and declines from there.

Agree with a lot here but the fact is that Ovechkin is 35 next year and it's becoming obvious that he isn't a force 5 on 5 anymore and at some point the caps putting him out there for almost 5 MPG on the PP and having only a 11-4-15 PPP for that time is actually hurting the team more than helping it.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Agree with a lot here but the fact is that Ovechkin is 35 next year and it's becoming obvious that he isn't a force 5 on 5 anymore and at some point the caps putting him out there for almost 5 MPG on the PP and having only a 11-4-15 PPP for that time is actually hurting the team more than helping it.

He’s 2nd in the league in ES goals. 16th in the league in ES points. What does he need to do to “be a force” in your view?

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007

Gretzky hadn’t been an especially productive goal scorer since he first arrived in LA (relative to era/previous production). Even by his last season in Edmonton he was firmly a pass-first player. His skillset was such that he didn’t have to be the trigger man. Then he had the injury issues in the early 90s.

Point being, he tailed off for reasons that are unique to him. With Ovechkin, everything is riding on health and desire to keep playing.

Reactions: Sentinel

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He’s 2nd in the league in ES goals. 16th in the league in ES points. What does he need to do to “be a force” in your view?

ESGF/ESGA ratio is just really lousy for a top team in the league plain and simple.

He is still an opportunistic scorer as we saw just before the break but he is hardly a guy who drives play anymore and not a guy that you build your team around, even in fantasy circles, unless +/- doesn't matter.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
ESGF/ESGA ratio is just really lousy for a top team in the league plain and simple.

He is still an opportunistic scorer as we saw just before the break but he is hardly a guy who drives play anymore and not a guy that you build your team around, even in fantasy circles, unless +/- doesn't matter.
.8947 on ice sv% where league average sits in the .91 range. Can't put that on him.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016

So youre basing your assessment of Ovi on his assumed performance in hypothetical fantasy leagues?

Neat.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad