Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think at least one of them moves and will move for less than hronek moved for. one of the reasons i disliked the hronek deal so much

Carlo getting moved makes zero sense to me.

He's a pretty integral player in their top-4 signed long-term at a very good price at $4 million and they have Mike Reilly and Derek Forbort as spare parts on that blueline making $3 million.

When they make a move, it will be to pay to dump those guys, not to dump a prime-age near-core player.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Carlo getting moved makes zero sense to me.

He's a pretty integral player in their top-4 signed long-term at a very good price at $4 million and they have Mike Reilly and Derek Forbort as spare parts on that blueline making $3 million.

When they make a move, it will be to pay to dump those guys, not to dump a prime-age near-core player.
And to add, if they're forced to move Carlo is because they are in a cap crunch. You don't give them our 11th overall to help them out

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
And to add, if they're forced to move Carlo is because they are in a cap crunch. You don't give them our 11th overall to help them out

Yeah, I like Carlo as a player but you aren't trading #11 - which again, to me, is like a top-5 pick in most drafts - for 4 years of team control on a #4 defender.

That pick probably has about a 50% chance of being an impact top line/top pairing player. The value there is absolutely massive.

Carlo is the sort of asset you'd move, like, Hoglander or Podkolzin and a 2nd for or something like that.

But again, it makes no sense to me that they'd trade Carlo for cap space when they have two much worse defenders in Forbort/Reilly that they could pay a pick for someone to take, and who clear nearly as much cap space.

Reactions: Vector and Nuckster

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
It is completely unrealistic to expect it to have stayed at exactly 13th in any scenario. 13-15 was the ideal. 17 is close enough to the ideal that it absolutely did not motivate a trade to capture the ~2 spots advantage like someone else was trying to say.

Especially in this draft.

There's no way that the protection on the pick added value to it let alone enough value to motivate a trade. I would have been very unhappy if we had kept it and it bumped to next year. 17th in this draft is better than 10th next year so the Isles have to be a lot worse next year than this year, and it's far from guaranteed that the Isles are worse at all next year.

Not a huge difference but they had a real chance of staying where they were and even a chance that became a high lottery pick next year. The other teams also had 4 games on them at that point, the Isles went on a run, even with Barzal going down. Certainly 13 is better than 17 and we came out pretty good in terms of how it could have gone. I think that's the point.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's only cap dumps that nobody wants that the buyer has the option to play that hard. For useful players it is who you are negotiating against for the player, in that case you are giving up more than what those competitor othera tems offer. Cap issues or not won't change Carlo's value in a bidding war.

Last edited:

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It is completely unrealistic to expect it to have stayed at exactly 13th in any scenario. 13-15 was the ideal. 17 is close enough to the ideal that it absolutely did not motivate a trade to capture the ~2 spots advantage like someone else was trying to say.

Especially in this draft.

There's no way that the protection on the pick added value to it let alone enough value to motivate a trade. I would have been very unhappy if we had kept it and it bumped to next year. 17th in this draft is better than 10th next year so the Isles have to be a lot worse next year than this year, and it's far from guaranteed that the Isles are worse at all next year.
You're free to express your own feelings about it, but the possibility of an unprotected 2024 pick was very enticing.

Let's not forget that they finished with the 7th seed in the east WITH Sorokin having an almost historically strong season, their cap situation is pretty f***ed and they have some of the worst prospect depth/high-end in the entire league.

So if one or two injuries happened, or Sorokin had a year like Demko just did that pick could have been looking at Celebrini. You're free to have an opinion, but that definitely adds value to the pick at the time of the trade.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Massive rumours on Reddit circulating Blackhawk’s is trying to move the 19th pick up.

11th pick for 19th and 35th pick.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Maybe, but only if they'll take Myers and/or Boeser too.
Why do people keep talking about Myers? After Sept 1 after his $5 mil bonus is paid, alot of cap floor, lower cap teams would be happy to take him.

1. He's only paid 1 mil cash at that stage, owners are happy. But has a 6 mil cap hit. Its perfect for cheap owners. You pay very little cash but get a sizable cap hit to be above the floor.

2. He's a 6'6" RD who can skate, those are valuable assets. And he doesn't "suck". He is overused here and over paid for the role he fits. But given #1 clearly that's taking care of itself for a low cap team.

3. He's on an expiring contract, therefore he's a valuable asset for a rebuilding/cap floor team looking for futures at the trade deadline. RD's are valuable assets, he's big, and can skate, playoff teams would love him as a rental, so the buyer of him after Sept 1 gets some assets back later.

Myers is a player who will easily be moved after Sept. There's no need to pay someone to take him. Someone is willing to OEL off our hands for trading the 11 and moving down, then we talk. We don't need to move the 11th overall to move Myers on an expiring contract, that's just silly

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why do people keep talking about Myers? After Sept 1 after his $5 mil bonus is paid, alot of cap floor, lower cap teams would be happy to take him.

1. He's only paid 1 mil cash at that stage, owners are happy. But has a 6 mil cap hit. Its perfect for cheap owners. You pay very little cash but get a sizable cap hit to be above the floor.

2. He's a 6'6" RD who can skate, those are valuable assets. And he doesn't "suck". He is overused here and over paid for the role he fits. But given #1 clearly that's taking care of itself for a low cap team.

3. He's on an expiring contract, therefore he's a valuable asset for a rebuilding/cap floor team looking for futures at the trade deadline. RD's are valuable assets, he's big, and can skate, playoff teams would love him as a rental, so the buyer of him after Sept 1 gets some assets back later.

Myers is a player who will easily be moved after Sept. There's no need to pay someone to take him. Someone is willing to OEL off our hands for trading the 11 and moving down, then we talk. We don't need to move the 11th overall to move Myers on an expiring contract, that's just silly
Agreed..giving up a possible future impact player ( that we will have on an ELC) to alleviate yourself from Tyler Myers ( in the final year of his contract) is just so incredibly idiotic.

Reactions: Nuckster

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

Okay you give this PowerPoint presentation to all the GM's in the league and we should be happily rid of Myers. Excellent work.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Agreed..giving up a possible future impact player ( that we will have on an ELC) to alleviate yourself from Tyler Myers ( in the final year of his contract) is just so incredibly idiotic.
Its funny, because many of the same people (media and otherwise) who roasted benning for moving Errikson, Roussel and Beagle in the last year of their contract for a quick fix (that didn't work) now are suggesting the same with Myers, who actually has some value.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Its funny, because many of the same people (media and otherwise) who roasted benning for moving Errikson, Roussel and Beagle in the last year of their contract for a quick fix (that didn't work) now are suggesting the same with Myers, who actually has some value.
This misses the entire point of what people are saying.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Trading the pick to move out cap is too short sighted. Thinking this 11th pick is the asset to solve our problems is pure desperation. Realistically it won't move the needle. Next year is a total success if we make the playoffs, expectations are pretty low. Even hypothectically, replacing OEL next season with a $7.5M FA d-man doesn't project us as a contender, not even close.

This past season was such a mess it is hard to evaluate what we even have. Unless a hockey trade presents itself to move a winger, we should really bet on the team performing better out of the gate instead of the historically bad first half they put together last year. If they repeat that again, keeping the pick will have been even more justified.

In any case, the 11th pick coming in on an ELC in 2-3 years will be much more valuable then moving it for cap in years we have given no reason to project as a playoff team. We should sit and suffer through the bed we made while unsavory contracts become more tradable or expire. The most we can hope for next year is that they put together a consistent year how they played under Tochett and that maybe a market develops for some of these players through the course of the season.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Okay you give this PowerPoint presentation to all the GM's in the league and we should be happily rid of Myers. Excellent work.
lets wait and see what happens, and when I'm right you can pretend you're not wrong and not respond when I call you out on it.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
lets wait and see what happens, and when I'm right you can pretend you're not wrong and not respond when I call you out on it.

I'm happy to be wrong on this one. It would mean no more Tyler Myers.

Let's not confuse the argument though:
-You think Myers will be moved free of charge this summer because his bonus will be paid and a team will be looking to hit the CAP floor.
-I think if Myers were to be moved we would have to add an asset. Myers has to waive his NMC as well.

Your odds aren't good my dude, but I admire your optimism.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023

-You think Myers will be moved free of charge this summer because his bonus will be paid and a team will be looking to hit the CAP floor.
-I think if Myers were to be moved we would have to add an asset. Myers has to waive his NMC as well.

Your Canuck's fan bias is showing. Myers does not "suck". Yes he didn't have a good year, but all the years prior he has played pretty well for us.

He played alot better with the new coaching staff, he has played very well at the worlds, and the issue with him is not skating or age.

I don't think you, and many are recognizing that strong skating RD are at a premium. Mid year, this year, not many teams had cap room. In fact most of the trades in prior to the deadline involved the Canucks for that reason.

When a season is over, teams have turnover, they have contracts that expire, they gain cap space. Add in cap floor teams and the issue I mentioned, well we aren't giving away Myers for Free. We're giving someone else the asset that will return something pretty decent at the deadline as a rental which is the 'extra asset'. That is value to a team, particularly a rebuilding one.

If you think 6'6" RD who can skate and are physical and are on expiring contracts are not of value at the trade deadline to playoff teams, I am not sure how much hockey you watch. Because defensive depth is one of the most important aspects of winning a cup.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Your Canuck's fan bias is showing. Myers does not "suck". Yes he didn't have a good year, but all the years prior he has played pretty well for us.

He played alot better with the new coaching staff, he has played very well at the worlds, and the issue with him is not skating or age.

I don't think you, and many are recognizing that strong skating RD are at a premium. Mid year, this year, not many teams had cap room. In fact most of the trades in prior to the deadline involved the Canucks for that reason.

When a season is over, teams have turnover, they have contracts that expire, they gain cap space. Add in cap floor teams and the issue I mentioned, well we aren't giving away Myers for Free. We're giving someone else the asset that will return something pretty decent at the deadline as a rental which is the 'extra asset'. That is value to a team, particularly a rebuilding one.

If you think 6'6" RD who can skate and are physical and are on expiring contracts are not of value at the trade deadline to playoff teams, I am not sure how much hockey you watch. Because defensive depth is one of the most important aspects of winning a cup.

I am not talking about next trade deadline. His value will have changed dramatically and there's a chance a team will take on an expiring contract in return for a draft pick - agreed.

But we were talking about this summer/off-season. Or to be more precise, shortly after Myers' bonus is paid. Is this not what you have been arguing about? The two timelines change everything.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Yeah,no..

There was even strong interest in Myers at last seasons TDL

When his $5M bonus is paid,he will be very tradeable indeed…appealing to teams with tighter budgets.

Reactions: Nuckster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad