Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Ok. I’ll take a different angle. I also believe this group is far more likely to trade the pick for a recently drafted player they like that can help now then they are to trading it for more picks.
If the player is proven and has upside yes. They aren't trading 11 for a Kravstov.

This isn't Jim Benning dude

No they would want another asset. Myers sucks. We know. They know it. Everyone knows it.

You think Arizona will give us a roster spot, 6M CAP for a potential 5th rd pick?
sucks sucks sucks

that's all you have

We'll see. I'll remind you in September when we don't have cap issues.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
If the player is proven and has upside yes. They aren't trading 11 for a Kravstov.

sucks sucks sucks

that's all you have

Would you mind showing me anywhere in my three or four posts where I suggested they were anything like Benning? You won’t be able to and it’s not because I’m changing a single word in any of them.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Please do not trade the pick, if you do anything right Ruth-Allvin-org. please at least do this.

Reactions: bossram

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Myers has $5 mil due on Sept 1. That makes his actual cash salary $1 mil but cap hit $6 mil. cap floor teams are happy to take that on for 2 reasons.

1. Cap floor means they have cheap owners so don't want to spend much cash. Myers' high cap hit and low cash amount, helps them above the floor while not spending that same amount in actual cash.

2. Myers is a 6'6" RD who can skate and is physical and is on an expiring contract. The same cap floor team probably sucks, and can use a big RD AND, by the trade deadline Myers is a valuable asset. Again, few big RD who can skate in the league, is now a UFA rental at the deadline so you will get picks and prospects back from a playoff team. Win Win

Beuvillier is also an easy move and redundant. He put up .62 ppg with the Canucks, is on an expiring deal, and has performed well in the playoffs.

Garland is also a potential move given his 5 on 5 numbers but it seems in season there wasn't much interest. Perhaps now that teams have cap space and want to make changes he also can be moved.
Money is not easy to move in flat cap NHL.

This is a lesson our management learned the hard way this season. Sort of. They still kept adding money in trades... I found that really odd.

sucks sucks sucks

that's all you have

There is 0% chance we dont have cap issues in September.

Unless your definition of not having cap issues is being cap compliant.:laugh:

Reactions: Nick Lang

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I hope not and I've changed my mind instead of Reinbacher I want ASP and hopefully they can then trade back into the 1st round to get Willander. That would go a long way in us finally having some RHD prospects.
Did not expect that from you

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Did not expect that from you
Why is that? I'm just thinking guy like Reinbacher should be had later on and he's getting drafted higher because lack of RHD. ASP on other hand is more highly skilled and his skating is much better. Just my opinion but from what I've read and seen clips Reinbacher isn't much better than Willander who will be available most likely still around 25 or so.

Reactions: Play

Nuckster

May 3, 2023

This is a lesson our management learned the hard way this season. Sort of. They still kept adding money in trades... I found that really odd.

My definition is being cap compliant

Our 'cap issues' are an inability to improve the team this year. If we stand pat for a year we will be clear of those issues.

While its not optimal running it back, we can do it, and be fine going forward after this coming season.

As such, rather than recreating Benning's failures by not waiting a year (Erickson, Beagle, Rousell), and giving up futures, wait a year and next year improve the team.

We aren't winning a cup in 2023/2024 regardless. I am sure this management group is not as stupid as Benning

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Should the Canucks trade the 11th overall pick? Why not?

Think about it......the Canucks have a chance to be the first lottery team in NHL history to trade two first rounders and their second rounder in the same draft. And the fact 2023 is rated as one of the deepest drafts in the last decade, is just 'icing on the cake'.

My gawd it's getting harder and harder to be a Canucks fan.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yep. Cap space has been a woefully undervalued asset. Still is.

I don't get the people who think it will be easy to hand-waive away Myers' contract. The bonus isn't paid until Sept. 15, so even most cap floor teams will already have their rosters set and have hit the cap floor. Myers himself also has an NTC, and we can probably guess which teams will be on it.

The bar is so low now. Apparently icing a legally cap compliant team is satisfactory performance for a GM.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012

Think about it......the Canucks have a chance to be the first lottery team in NHL history to trade two first rounders and their second rounder in the same draft. And the fact 2023 is rated as one of the deepest drafts in the last decade, is just 'icing on the cake'.

Are we counting every team outside of the playoffs as 'lottery' now?

Byfield

Jan 15, 2021
Would you guys be interesting in trading the pick for a package centered around Quinton Byfield?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Are we counting every team outside of the playoffs as 'lottery' now?
Not sure what to make of this......every team that fails to make the Stanley Cup playoffs is automatically in the draft lottery......so that makes the Canucks, along with 14 other also-rans, officially 'lottery teams'.

Reactions: 4th line culture

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Do it Allvin. Make history. Put the Canucks in the record books.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I've said this before. The problem with trading 1st round picks really is the potential of picking a star player with the pick and getting him for 7+ prime years. If you simply go with odds, it's not a bad deal to trade the pick for an established player every year.

Take a look at the last ten #11 picks: Askarov, Soderstrom, Wahlstrom, Vilardi, Brown, Course, Fiala, Morin, Forsberg, Siemens.

How many players would you trade say Hronek for? If you can get a Hronek calibre Dman in a trade it will probably work out well most of the time with the other times missing out on a young star player that the team was better off drafting.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
The 11th pick would be enough to add an established NHLer, but we don't have the cap room for that.
The 11th pick would also be enough of a sweetener to dump a bad contract.
The 11th pick is not enough to do both of those things.

We're going to make the pick and run the same roster back next year.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Even you have to admit the timing was really bizzare.
I think reasons for the timing was 2 fold

1. They knew they weren't re-signing Horvat for the money he wanted, he's not worth it, so check mark to management.

2. Waiting for the offseason to get a high quality young RD like Hronek could easily have cost them more than a couple of picks. 40-50 pt RD who play physical and can skate are valuable commodities in the NHL. You wait till the offseason when more teams have cap space and more flexibility you could end up paying more.

I find it odd people are haters on the trade yet if we had given up a first and second for Schneider who's not as effective offensively nor defensively, people wouldn't have batted an eye...

Judge the trade after you've seen Hronek play in our lineup and how much he improves it. Right now, having barely played we're ahead simply by not paying Horvat 8.5 mil x 8 for 50 pts a season.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

1. They knew they weren't re-signing Horvat for the money he wanted, he's not worth it, so check mark to management.

2. Waiting for the offseason to get a high quality young RD like Hronek could easily have cost them more than a couple of picks. 40-50 pt RD who play physical and can skate are valuable commodities in the NHL. You wait till the offseason when more teams have cap space and more flexibility you could end up paying more.

I find it odd people are haters on the trade yet if we had given up a first and second for Schneider who's not as effective offensively nor defensively, people wouldn't have batted an eye...

Judge the trade after you've seen Hronek play in our lineup and how much he improves it. Right now, having barely played we're ahead simply by not paying Horvat 8.5 mil x 8 for 50 pts a season.
Trading for a player that was damaged goods wasn't a good start to be fair.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

He is not physical.

I also dont know if he is scoring 40-50 without PP time with our roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad