Speculation: Will the 11th Overall Pick be traded ?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
What about this franchise ever suggests this?

Allvin made his big move getting Hronek , We have no cap space and He has stated he wants to win now but also build this organization Brick by Brick and part of those bricks is through the draft .

I believe we stay at 11 and draft BPA hopefully A forward

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's all about the playoffs now, so don't be surprised :popcorn:
The Canucks are embedded in the worst of two worlds. They have arguably the worst salary cap situation in the league. So they're virtually locked out of any hockey deals which could actually improve the team.

Yet the owner is undoubtedly tired of the fact that the Canucks have only had three home playoffs games since the 2014 season. The mandate is to make the playoffs now, with a lineup that at this juncture just has too many holes.

So trading the 11th overall pick for a player who can play right now, plus some badly needed cap relief, can't the ruled out. It's pathetic. But that's reality the Canucks find themselves in.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
We will trade it and the tone deaf leadership will let us know how happy we should be, and the national media will portray us as a difficult fan base. We will fall just short of the playoffs and be hamstrung by the cap because we traded next years first at the deadline to make a push. And they cycle continues!

Reactions: Bubbles

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Allvin made his big move getting Hronek , We have no cap space and He has stated he wants to win now but also build this organization Brick by Brick and part of those bricks is through the draft .

I believe we stay at 11 and draft BPA hopefully A forward
To be fair he's pretty much ahead of Benning already as while the teams 2nd was traded they're still going into the draft (for the moment) with 7 picks in 7 rounds, with 5 picks in the 3rd & 4th round. When Benning did manage to keep this many picks it was usually slanted with extra picks in the 5-7th rounds.

Things can change but that's a pretty even balance straddling the line between drafting/competing.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I hope not and I've changed my mind instead of Reinbacher I want ASP and hopefully they can then trade back into the 1st round to get Willander. That would go a long way in us finally having some RHD prospects.

• Wow
Reactions: Play

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
To be fair he's pretty much ahead of Benning already as while the teams 2nd was traded they're still going into the draft (for the moment) with 7 picks in 7 rounds, with 5 picks in the 3rd & 4th round. When Benning did manage to keep this many picks it was usually slanted with extra picks in the 5-7th rounds.

Things can change but that's a pretty even balance straddling the line between drafting/competing.

It’s. very fair point , But with Aquaman running the show we will never see a proper rebuild and there will always be a desire to win and not wait 3-5 years and get playoff revenue etc

So yes Allvin is trading picks to try too win now , but at least he actually knows how to acquire earlier picks like the 3rd for Harmonic and Schenn and getting Bloom for Stillman , a 4th for Lazar etc

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
I thought I would create a new thread since the last one was who would you trade the pick for but I wanna ask the question will the Canucks Actually trade it ?

I do not think it gets traded under any circumstances and we don’t have any cap space to bring in a player like Alexis Lafreniere etc who will command over 6m.

I am 99.99% sure the pick is staying and the Canucks build up there farm system because we know it needs more work and with 6 picks in the first 4 rounds we will absolutely have a great shot to rebuild it
1. Lafrenierre won't command over 6m, what has he done to command that? 30 pts?

2. They will always consider moving the pick if it improves the team and the player coming back is young and has a high ceiling. Its better to get a 22 year old proven NHL player with significant upside than a player who you draft and never know.

I trust this group enough to know they are not Benning and know what they are doing

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

2. They will always consider moving the pick if it improves the team and the player coming back is young and has a high ceiling. Its better to get a 22 year old proven NHL player with significant upside than a player who you draft and never know.

I trust this group enough to know they are not Benning and know what they are doing

You’re right maybe not 6.3 million I read an article that predicted that but no way he can justify that .

But ok let’s say we do trade that pick , how do you get him under the salary cap ? Who are you trading ?

And what will his contract look like

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
You’re right maybe not 6.3 million I read an article that predicted that but no way he can justify that .

But ok let’s say we do trade that pick , how do you get him under the salary cap ? Who are you trading ?

And what will his contract look like
Myers has $5 mil due on Sept 1. That makes his actual cash salary $1 mil but cap hit $6 mil. cap floor teams are happy to take that on for 2 reasons.

1. Cap floor means they have cheap owners so don't want to spend much cash. Myers' high cap hit and low cash amount, helps them above the floor while not spending that same amount in actual cash.

2. Myers is a 6'6" RD who can skate and is physical and is on an expiring contract. The same cap floor team probably sucks, and can use a big RD AND, by the trade deadline Myers is a valuable asset. Again, few big RD who can skate in the league, is now a UFA rental at the deadline so you will get picks and prospects back from a playoff team. Win Win

Beuvillier is also an easy move and redundant. He put up .62 ppg with the Canucks, is on an expiring deal, and has performed well in the playoffs.

Garland is also a potential move given his 5 on 5 numbers but it seems in season there wasn't much interest. Perhaps now that teams have cap space and want to make changes he also can be moved.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Why is the idea that they could trade 11OA for a later first round pick and a second a "LMAO"

It's very plausible if some team below us is horny for a player that's available at 11 and think he will be gone before they pick
The idea that this franchise would think that way is the lmao. The concept is fine.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
The idea that this franchise would think that way is the lmao. The concept is fine.
Why is that LMAO

You think the 11th pick is materially better than someone they may get at 16/17 plus a mid second rounder?

They don't have 1-5 over all dude and this isn't EA NHL 23. By your logic Virtanen should be better than Ehlers and Nylander and Juolevi better than Tkachuk, Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun.

You kind of have to trust our new scouting group to assess and if they think the group at 11 that;s there for us is no better than a few players that they expect to take with the new pick, they make the move because it gets them a second in a very good draft.

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Why is that LMAO

You think the 11th pick is materially better than someone they may get at 16/17 plus a mid second rounder?

They don't have 1-5 over all dude and this isn't EA NHL 23. By your logic Virtanen should be better than Ehlers and Nylander and Juolevi better than Tkachuk, Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun.

You kind of have to trust our new scouting group to assess and if they think the group at 11 that;s there for us is no better than a few players that they expect to take with the new pick, they make the move because it gets them a second in a very good draft.
I think this group is much more likely to trade the pick in service of immediate cap relief than to trade it for more picks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think this group is much more likely to trade the pick in service of immediate cap relief than to trade it for more picks.
Exactly.....would you trade the 11th overall pick and OEL's contract for cap relief?

Is there a rebuilding team out there that's near the cap floor, but wants first round draft picks and is willing to eat OEL's contract?

Nuckster

May 3, 2023

What do they need immediate cap relief for? We have 22 players signed to the roster next year and are 600k over the cap. We can stand pat and be fine assuming Poolman doesn't come back, and given he's tried to come back from concussions 3 times in the last 2 years, its highly probable he's back on LTIR, and that ignores Pearson.

At worst, we move Myers after Sept 1 when his bonus of 5 mil is paid and his cash is only 1 mil. A cap floor team will happily take him.

Yes we won't be able to improve but we don't need to move 11th over all just to create cap we can easily manage. Next year we have alot of money coming off the books

Alot of people make this cap statement and don't even know the issues and assume we have no cap and need to sign multiple players, we don't. The only problem we have is without cap we can't get better for 2023/2024. After that we can.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
Exactly.....would you trade the 11th overall pick and OEL's contract for cap relief?

Is there a rebuilding team out there that's near the cap floor, but wants first round draft picks and is willing to eat OEL's contract?
Why would you trade 11 overall for cap you don't need when next year you're fine.

1. We have 22 players signed, we are 600k over the cap. If we stand pat we are fine, we aren't in a situation where we need cap to fill out a roster.

2. Poolman is on LTIR, so is Pearson. Poolman has tried to come back from concussions 3 times in 2 years and failed. He's likely done. Pearson at the end of year said he 'hopes to just live a normal life with his kids'. He doesn't sound confident that he's playing.

3. Regardless, even if you assume those 2 players come back, Myers is owed a $5 mil bonus on Sept 1. Once that is paid his cash salary is $1 mil. His cap is $6 mil. A cap floor team will happily take a low cash cost 6'6" RD who is on an expiring contract, that can skate, is physical, and can be flipped at the deadline for picks and prospects as a rental.

4. Beuvillier put up .62 ppg with the Canucks. he's known as a solid playoff performer and makes 4.75 mil. He's on an expiring contract. Moving him is not hard for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

This ignores potential of moving Garland.

Again, the Canucks don't NEED cap to field a team. They WANT cap to improve. You don't trade 11th overall when you don't NEED cap.

This whole conversation suggests people are not aware of facts. Go visit cap friendly.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Myers has $5 mil due on Sept 1. That makes his actual cash salary $1 mil but cap hit $6 mil. cap floor teams are happy to take that on for 2 reasons.

1. Cap floor means they have cheap owners so don't want to spend much cash. Myers' high cap hit and low cash amount, helps them above the floor while not spending that same amount in actual cash.

2. Myers is a 6'6" RD who can skate and is physical and is on an expiring contract. The same cap floor team probably sucks, and can use a big RD AND, by the trade deadline Myers is a valuable asset. Again, few big RD who can skate in the league, is now a UFA rental at the deadline so you will get picks and prospects back from a playoff team.

This CAP floor talk for trading Myers is some denial from our fanbase. Some rebuilding team is not going to take Myers from us to hit a CAP floor.

We would have to add a significant asset on top of that. Arizona isnt going to gift us 6M in CAP and a roster spot for this 'salary floor' fantasy our fans have conjured up.

I don't think we have the prospects or picks for this move - Unfortunately I think it's more likely we see Myers play out the year with us or potentially get moved at the trade deadline.

Nuckster

May 3, 2023
This CAP floor talk for trading Myers is some denial from our fanbase. Some rebuilding team is not going to take Myers from us to hit a CAP floor.

We would have to add a significant asset on top of that. Arizona isnt going to gift us 6M in CAP and a roster spot for this 'salary floor' fantasy our fans have conjured up.

I don't think we have the prospects or picks for this move - Unfortunately I think it's more likely we see Myers play out the year with us or potentially get moved at the trade deadline.
So you think Tyler Myers for 1 mil in CASH, and 6 mil in Cap to reach the floor

AND

who can be traded at the deadline as a rental / UFA expiring contract isn't attractive to a rebuilding team hey?

Weird how you admit we can move him at the deadline but those picks wouldn't be valuable to a rebuilding team huh?

You're also ignoring the fact we're only 600k over the cap and we have 2 players on LTIR who are unlikely to return

Go look at Chicago's cap, go look at their roster. You think they don't need cap? You think they don't want some actual NHL players to play and protect Bedard?

ok

McDavid is too whiny

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Why would you trade 11 overall for cap you don't need when next year you're fine.

1. We have 22 players signed, we are 600k over the cap. If we stand pat we are fine, we aren't in a situation where we need cap to fill out a roster.

2. Poolman is on LTIR, so is Pearson. Poolman has tried to come back from concussions 3 times in 2 years and failed. He's likely done. Pearson at the end of year said he 'hopes to just live a normal life with his kids'. He doesn't sound confident that he's playing.

3. Regardless, even if you assume those 2 players come back, Myers is owed a $5 mil bonus on Sept 1. Once that is paid his cash salary is $1 mil. His cap is $6 mil. A cap floor team will happily take a low cash cost 6'6" RD who is on an expiring contract, that can skate, is physical, and can be flipped at the deadline for picks and prospects as a rental.

4. Beuvillier put up .62 ppg with the Canucks. he's known as a solid playoff performer and makes 4.75 mil. He's on an expiring contract. Moving him is not hard for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

This ignores potential of moving Garland.

Again, the Canucks don't NEED cap to field a team. They WANT cap to improve. You don't trade 11th overall when you don't NEED cap.

This whole conversation suggests people are not aware of facts. Go visit cap friendly.
Ok. I’ll take a different angle. I also believe this group is far more likely to trade the pick for a recently drafted player they like that can help now then they are to trading it for more picks.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
So you think Tyler Myers for 1 mil in CASH, and 6 mil in Cap to reach the floor

AND

who can be traded at the deadline as a rental / UFA expiring contract isn't attractive to a rebuilding team hey?

lol

No they would want another asset. Myers sucks. We know. They know it. Everyone knows it.

You think Arizona will give us a roster spot, 6M CAP for a potential 5th rd pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad