Will Patrick Marleau break Gordie Howe's record?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Yeah this came after Toronto approached him to say they wanted to move on from him. This is pretty well known.

“The family is going to move back to San Jose. Patrick Marleau has made it clear to the Toronto Maple Leafs that he’d like to get closer to his family once again, which means moving to the west coast area.”

He requested a trade to SJ. SJ didn’t want him at 6.25. At all actually until a week before the season when they needed a warm body and took him 700K

Reactions: Fixxer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
“The family is going to move back to San Jose. Patrick Marleau has made it clear to the Toronto Maple Leafs that he’d like to get closer to his family once again, which means moving to the west coast area.”

He requested a trade to SJ. SJ didn’t want him at 6.25. At all actually until a week before the season when they needed a warm body and took him 700K

Yes, after the team already came to him soon after their elimination stating their intentions.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So they said they were moving on and he seemed it was necessary to request a trade when he’s already going to be trade ....?

He didn't request a trade. He requested to be dealt closer to home after they already made their intentions known.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I don't get some comments here. For some people it seems that Mr. Hockey is entitled to his records, that his Career GPs played would be someway untouchable, and any guy even thinking about reaching the same ball parks, guilty to sacrilegious pissing onto a grave. Ridiculous.

Mr. Howe himself probably think its awesome someone making so long, healthy and successful career to even make close to his numbers.

I'd say that anyone who have a real chance and possibility to break ANY of all time records including longevity records should consider it their responsibility.

Hopefully Marleau still plays NHL when he is 50+ years old, without leaving to other leagues. Hopefully he'll end up to break the record with several hundreds games gap to Howe's achievement.

I simply don't get it how it can be anyhow bad thing if some record is broken, Gordie's or anyone else's.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Patrick Marleau wants to go home

He moved away. Told leafs he wants to go back. Look yourself in google if you want. He said he won’t come back to Toronto. So they’d be stuck with that albatross of a contract since it’s 35+

LOL You have an interesting and if I say so myself a rather disengenuous manner of paraphrasing. I doubt anyone is buying your bridge.

Marleau is probably the exact type of player Howe would like to see break his record. A fellow Saskatchewan boy who plays a humble complete 2-way game all done with the decency and respect that so many posters on this forum would't comprehend if their lives depended on it.

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Yes he will, but that shouldn’t qualify him for the HHOF. Don’t think he deserves to be in there.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Wow I had no idea. Yes, it is plausible and I hope he does. That record will be beaten for sure at some point. What won't be is the age at which Howe played. Also, Howe played in the WHA and in shorter seasons in the NHL. Takes nothing away from Howe. Would just be a great honor for Marleau.
How many games did Marleau miss during lockouts/strikes? I’d look it up but am too lazy.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Yeah. Im sick and tired of "mister hockey". Yeah he played until he was 50. Big deal. He wasnt anything special otherwise. Just s plain and simple superstar. There are dozen of players like him every decade maybe more.

He was special BEFORE he played until the age of 50. So every decade, a dozen or more players are called the greatest ever? I don't think so but to each his own.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Howe's record would be untouchable if the NHL counted his WHA games.

So even if Marleau beats his NHL GP record, he's still behind in professional hockey games.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

So even if Marleau beats his NHL GP record, he's still behind in professional hockey games.

Why would the NHL count his WHA games? Sure he's behind in "professional" hockey games but what does that have to do with the NHL and its record for NHL games?

Why would or should the NHL care about games played in a different league having any impact on records within its own league?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
You are not kidding about the lazy as this can be found on the first page of the thread :D

128 games missed.
Thanks. I drove 12 hours yesterday, worked another 8 and was barely conscious but was still curious as I was reading before finally going to sleep.

Reactions: mattihp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why would the NHL count his WHA games? Sure he's behind in "professional" hockey games but what does that have to do with the NHL and its record for NHL games?

Why would or should the NHL care about games played in a different league having any impact on records within its own league?

I never said they should.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005

Slightly off topic, but I'll share anyway - the interesting thing is Gretzky just barely broke Howe's record for total professional goals (NHL plus WHA, regular season plus playoffs). Howe scored 1,071 - Gretzky scored 1,072. I remember reading somewhere (but don't have a source) that this (unofficial) record was one of Gretzky's proudest accomplishments.

Of course, a perfectly valid argument is Howe's WHA goals are worth less than those scored in the NHL. On the other hand, Gretzky benefitted by playing in a much higher-scoring era, with more games on the schedule and more playoff rounds.

Reactions: Eisen

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I find it hard to imagine a more unremarkable player approaching that record.

He is no where near the level of Howe and some of the other greats on the list but since when did almost 1200 career points become unremarkable? In any sport, one of the best qualities is availability. Like him or not, he has had an impressive career.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don't get some comments here. For some people it seems that Mr. Hockey is entitled to his records, that his Career GPs played would be someway untouchable, and any guy even thinking about reaching the same ball parks, guilty to sacrilegious pissing onto a grave. Ridiculous.

Mr. Howe himself probably think its awesome someone making so long, healthy and successful career to even make close to his numbers.

I'd say that anyone who have a real chance and possibility to break ANY of all time records including longevity records should consider it their responsibility.

Hopefully Marleau still plays NHL when he is 50+ years old, without leaving to other leagues. Hopefully he'll end up to break the record with several hundreds games gap to Howe's achievement.

I simply don't get it how it can be anyhow bad thing if some record is broken, Gordie's or anyone else's.

Only record I was disappointed to see broken was Sawchuk's shutout record. Mainly because the guy had such a hard life and was such a fighter. Kind of wanted that one untouched.

Reactions: Iapyi

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Naaaah. I used to think Gordie was great then I did my research. Glorified Jagr. Even though Jagr is the greater player.
Imagine if Jagr was a shining role model for kids off the ice and an incredible ambassador for the game. Now also imagine Jagr was less selfish with the puck and extend Jagr's peak seasons by 1.5, and double or triple the amount of post-peak but still useful seasons Jagr had.
If you did all of that, you would be somewhat close to the player Gordie was. I suspect you're just some disingenuous Rocket fan who didn't live anywhere near the time period in which to judge these players.

I digress.

No doubt in my mind that, were Gordie alive and with us today, he would already have called Marleau and encouraged him to play another season. He would have been excited about the potential. Mark Howe is alive and can confirm for us, but absolutely 0 chance that Gordie would have been anything but supportive and excited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad