Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
he sure is one of the best. I think he's better than Crosby prime.
Offensively he is, he's way more dangerous if anything because of style. Crosby should not be slighted though, his playstyle just transformed more into a less flashy two-way player.

Mcdavid plays the game at Bures speed with Crosbys vision.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
McDavid is an absolute madman. I can't believe he might hit 100. I thought for sure the scoring leader this year would be in the high 70's-80 point range.

I'm a Leafs fan and also a big Crosby guy, but I think as long as nothing catestrophic happens, McDavid is easily going to end up as the 5th best of all-time at worst...If he extends this years play into a few years of peak dominance, he might even have us reconsidering the notion of the big 4.

If he keeps this level for 3-4 years and then does a still impressive burndown of 85-90 point seasons into his mid 30's, can we really say Howe or the injury shortned career of Orr is more impressive? (For the record, I have Mario as #2 rather than the consensus view of #4).
Howe had 6 Hart and 6 Art Ross trophies, 4 Cups, and was top 5 in scoring for twenty straight seasons.

Good luck to McD. :sarcasm:

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Is Mario at 4 consensus? I know more that have him at 1 than 4.

Anyways, this is McDavids 3rd Ross. How many times did Gordie lead?

I think at some point maybe Gordie and Orr slide down but it's incredibly hard for fans to let go of things. I mean why is Jagr never mentioned as potential top 5? People have slid Crosby past him. I think Ovechkin could be top 5. I don't know. I think people are lazy on their rankings.
Yes, Lemieux is a consensus #4. In fact, it took a lot of peer pressure for me to start ranking him above Hasek.

Gordie had 6 Harts and 6 Art Rosses. Jagr only had one Hart and 5 Art Rosses.

"People are lazy"? Sounds like you can't even be bothered to look things up. :skeptic:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Dude, stop making stuff up. Lemieux missed 23 games in January and February, which is the middle of the season and then came back in March to win the scoring title. He also missed 1 game in December.
Same difference... he was getting cancer treatment that year... he missed almost a third of the season for radiation treatments and played right after finishing up...

Part 1: Lemieux's cancer comeback great sports story

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Howe had 6 Hart and 6 Art Ross trophies, 4 Cups, and was top 5 in scoring for twenty straight seasons.

Good luck to McD. :sarcasm:

For what it's worth, I'm not "predicting" McDavid to displace any of the top 4. I predict he finishes as the 5th best player of all-time.

However, if he continues to do what he's doing right now for 3-4 more years, he will find himself in that 5-6 Hart/Art Ross range. At that point, it's fair to start to question our conceptualization of an impenetrable "big 4."

Most have Mario as the first one who would be knocked off that list, but I have it as Howe.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Offensively he is, he's way more dangerous if anything because of style. Crosby should not be slighted though, his playstyle just transformed more into a less flashy two-way player.

crosby is a super talented grinder... McDavid is more a traditional scoring forward... like you say, different playstyles... also Crosby dropped a bit in scoring after the broken neck... he plays a lot less netfront now... McDavid is the best pure scorer tge league has seen in a while....

man with no two line offsides Bure would be unstoppable in this nhl... lol

Reactions: Sentinel

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
And McDavid was still destroying him in the scoring race by a sizable margin.

It was a horrible take back then, and even more laughable in hindsight.

It was click-bait journalists trying being edgy and contrarian.
It wasn't a horrible take. At the end of February, same amount of games played, McDavid had 6 more points than Kane and less even strength points (not that PP points don't matter). What Kane was doing on a team that was picked to finished low in their division was at least Hart conversation worthy for a top 3 nomination. That didn't last for Kane. That was almost 30 games ago and McDavid is McDavid...

We use early season success in a sample size to predict trophy winners and leaders. Because what else is there to do?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Don't sell him short. Bures speed with Gretzkys vision.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It wasn't a horrible take. At the end of February, same amount of games played, McDavid had 6 more points than Kane and less even strength points (not that PP points don't matter). What Kane was doing on a team that was picked to finished low in their division was at least Hart conversation worthy for a top 3 nomination. That didn't last for Kane. That was almost 30 games ago and McDavid is McDavid...

We use early season success in a sample size to predict trophy winners and leaders. Because what else is there to do?

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

It was 12 games ago.

And it was a 15 point difference.
McDavid had 64 points to Kane's 49 (who also played more games).

And Kane wasn't top 3. He was consensus #1 for the Hart Trophy according to NHL.com

And it was f***ing laughable then, and an even worse take now.
McDavid best choice for Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, Kane says

So yeah, it was a horrible take by a bunch of edgy journalists then, and an equally bad revisionist take by you.

Reactions: Coffey

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Realistically Howe is ranked top 5 cause of longevity and he probably deserves to be there cause of the career he had. But can you really say that Howe was a better hockey player in a vacuum than Mcdavid or Crosby?

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He might say he doesn't care about 100 points... but he WANTS 100 points. And so does his team. You can see Draisaitl just looking for McDavid on that empty net goal last night.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
So yeah, it was a horrible take by a bunch of edgy journalists then, and an equally bad revisionist take by you.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Realistically Howe is ranked top 5 cause of longevity and he probably deserves to be there cause of the career he had. But can you really say that Howe was a better hockey player in a vacuum than Mcdavid or Crosby?

Uhhhh...

I'm a huge McDavid homer, but yikes. Gordie is in the Big-4 for a VERY good reason.
He had an absolutely DOMINANT peak.

Look how similar these point spreads actually are:
(His own linemate was the only other PPG player in the league).

upload_2021-5-4_10-51-8.png

upload_2021-5-4_10-50-35.png

Most of Gordie's peak had that kind of insane point-spread that McDavid is enjoying this season.
He was posting up DOUBLE the points of other top-10 scorers.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is true, but still, really impressive nevertheless.
I mean if he does this next year when things are probably back to normal with regular divisions and travel, and he scores at this same rate, I'll truly be impressed. Right now it's McDavid is being McDavid and taking advantage of weak divisions, no travel where he gets to play a team like Ottawa 9 times in one season etc...

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
"Pfft, McDavid? That's second page news. Did you hear that Cole Caufield score another OT winner? It's so important we posted it twice." says nhl.com

Oh and we clinched a playoff spot too. But who cares, we aren't Montreal or Toronto fans.

Reactions: Dieseloil

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I mean if he does this next year when things are probably back to normal with regular divisions and travel, and he scores at this same rate, I'll truly be impressed. Right now it's McDavid is being McDavid and taking advantage of weak divisions, no travel where he gets to play a team like Ottawa 9 times in one season etc...
Literally every team either is one of those teams or plays a bad team. He will torch the league next year.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Uhhhh...

I'm a huge McDavid homer, but yikes. Gordie is in the Big-4 for a VERY good reason.
He had an absolutely DOMINANT peak.

Look how similar these point spreads actually are:
(His own linemate was the only other PPG player in the league).

View attachment 429607

View attachment 429606

Most of Gordie's peak had that kind of insane point-spread that McDavid is enjoying this season.
He was posting up DOUBLE the points of other top-10 scorers.
I dont care what he did in his era the 50s was a garbage league compared to today. If you wanna rank a player by how well he did in their era then sure. Mcdavid is just better at the sport of hockey bar none, not debatable.

Reactions: Homesick

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

It was 12 games ago.

And it was a 15 point difference.
McDavid had 64 points to Kane's 49 (who also played more games).

And Kane wasn't top 3. He was consensus #1 for the Hart Trophy according to NHL.com

And it was f***ing laughable then, and an even worse take now.
McDavid best choice for Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, Kane says

The Hart trophy talk started way before 12 games ago. Just because NHL was late to the party and posted an article with Kane doesn't mean that a lot of people had him consensus #1. The conversation with Kane started way before that and died down by most way before 12 games ago. Mid March, 17 writers voted for Kane #1 with McDavid #2. This was all based on early success that started dying down by most.

For the record I didn't have Kane leading, ever. But I can acknowledge it wasn't such a horrible take before McDavid broke the race.

If your response is going to be Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Don't bother.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Literally every team either is one of those teams or plays a bad team. He will torch the league next year.
I mean he'll be McDavid, but I don't think he'll score on a 150 point pace in the regular normal season. He was on a 120 point pace last year, which is impressive too, but this year he gets to score bit more because like I said, it's easier to play the same teams over and over without much travel and he gets to play the bottom teams bunch of times

Reactions: Sentinel

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I've watched Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby in their primes and none of them are as explosive as McDavid. They're all amazing players that were/are the best of their eras.

I vote he gets 105+ points

Reactions: Frosty415

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
"Pfft, McDavid? That's second page news. Did you hear that Cole Caufield score another OT winner? It's so important we posted it twice." says nhl.com

Oh and we clinched a playoff spot too. But who cares, we aren't Montreal or Toronto fans.
You say this like McDavid isn't the front page story after almost every game lol
Caufield just did something that's never been done before, he can have a moment I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad