Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I dont care what he did in his era the 50s was a garbage league compared to today. If you wanna rank a player by how well he did in their era then sure. Mcdavid is just better at the sport of hockey bar none, not debatable.
That's the only way to compare players from different generations. Howe played in a time when the equipment was junk, training was junk, everyone smoke and drank beer all the time, most players had to have a job in the off season. So no, you can't compare guys from that generation to guys who have been training to be pros since they could count their age on one hand, and are using top tier training techniques and equipment. I can't even imagine what some of those old timers would have been able to do with a composite stick instead of the logs they used to use.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He might now be a favorite to do it.

This is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. If he does anything remotely close to this next year, he probably enters a higher tier of ranking, historically. This is one of those things that's not supposed to happen.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG.

It was 12 games ago.

And it was a 15 point difference.
McDavid had 64 points to Kane's 49 (who also played more games).

And Kane wasn't top 3. He was consensus #1 for the Hart Trophy according to NHL.com

And it was f***ing laughable then, and an even worse take now.
McDavid best choice for Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, Kane says

So yeah, it was a horrible take by a bunch of edgy journalists then, and an equally bad revisionist take by you.
You sound mad as hell over a guy who will never know your name. It’s not that serious. I can read your rage through the post. It’s just different opinions for better or worse. Not worth getting this fired up over something like this. Just take it as advice not criticism. Getting help makes a huge difference. Good luck.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I mean he'll be McDavid, but I don't think he'll score on a 150 point pace in the regular normal season. He was on a 120 point pace last year, which is impressive too, but this year he gets to score bit more because like I said, it's easier to play the same teams over and over without much travel and he gets to play the bottom teams bunch of times
Last season McDavid was still recovering from a major knee injury. I'm not saying this season is the norm, but 2019-20 wasn't a normal one either.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
It's funny how people say 'if he can repeat it next year' without really taking into account what he did last year.

Having suffered a major injury at the end of the previous season, McDavid wasn't playing at 100% for quite a stretch last season (as most who watched him can attest to) yet he still put up 97 points in 64 games.

Edit: Didn't see @Frank the Tank brought up his injury as well. Kudos

Last edited:

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
The question of all time greatness depends on how long he can heavily outwheel the opposition. IMO his speed needs to last years and years in order to put up all time great points numbers.

Reactions: Sentinel

Example

Dec 5, 2010
That's the only way to compare players from different generations. Howe played in a time when the equipment was junk, training was junk, everyone smoke and drank beer all the time, most players had to have a job in the off season. So no, you can't compare guys from that generation to guys who have been training to be pros since they could count their age on one hand, and are using top tier training techniques and equipment. I can't even imagine what some of those old timers would have been able to do with a composite stick instead of the logs they used to use.

Wouldn't all of their competition have the same benefit?

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I don't want to jinx the kid, but he only needs 9 points in 6 games to get 100. And he plays Vancouver a bunch, I'd say he's a lock.

Simply amazing. Historic season. One that will be talked about and brought up in debates for YEARS to come.

And we are all lucky enough to witness it.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I think he does it. And even if he doesnt, it doesnt really matter, it is still one of, if not the, best season in the past 25 years or so. Been so fun watching him this season.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
I dont care what he did in his era the 50s was a garbage league compared to today. If you wanna rank a player by how well he did in their era then sure. Mcdavid is just better at the sport of hockey bar none, not debatable.

You said that Howe is ranked top-5 because of longevity. Perfect_Drug gives you the real reason why by showing Howe's domination and your answer is : ''I don't care what he did''? Way to admit you're talking out of your a**. :laugh:

No league consisting of the majority of the best hockey players in the world is garbage, whatever the era. It's a rather uninformed stance.

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
McDavid is reaching Jagr/Yzerman levels of production. This season is going to go down as one of the best. Its only downside is that McDavid didn't get the full 82.

Without irony, 150 seems within reach if he had a full season.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
You said that Howe is ranked top-5 because of longevity. Perfect_Drug gives you the real reason why by showing Howe's domination and your answer is : ''I don't care what he did''? Way to admit you're talking out of your a**. :laugh:

No league consisting of the majority of the best hockey players in the world is garbage, whatever the era. It's a rather uninformed stance.
90-95% of the league back when Howe played was Canadian. Mcdavid is dominating in a vastly higher skilled, better coached, better goal tended and faster league. Yeah of course I'll take stats from the 50s with a grain of salt cause 90% of the players back then aren't even cracking AHL rosters today. Mcdavid is just objectively a better player than Howe. Howe objectively dominated his peers more than Mcdavid. Mcdavid's peers objectively are better hockey players than Howes.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I mean if he does this next year when things are probably back to normal with regular divisions and travel, and he scores at this same rate, I'll truly be impressed. Right now it's McDavid is being McDavid and taking advantage of weak divisions, no travel where he gets to play a team like Ottawa 9 times in one season etc...
Replace some Ottawa games with teams you see down at the standings now. lol. How about them Cali teams he rips apart, who are now worse and in his division?

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The question of all time greatness depends on how long he can heavily outwheel the opposition. IMO his speed needs to last years and years in order to put up all time great points numbers.

Speed is just one facet to his game... the kid's mind is two steps ahead of everyone elses at all times

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Speed is just one facet to his game... the kid's mind is two steps ahead of everyone elses at all times

Yeah but without his speed he'd only be a 100 pts pleb instead of an average 150 pts player

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
90-95% of the league back when Howe played was Canadian. Mcdavid is dominating in a vastly higher skilled, better coached, better goal tended and faster league. Yeah of course I'll take stats from the 50s with a grain of salt cause 90% of the players back then aren't even cracking AHL rosters today. Mcdavid is just objectively a better player than Howe. Howe objectively dominated his peers more than Mcdavid. Mcdavid's peers objectively are better hockey players than Howes.

There were 6 teams in the 1950s. The skill level from top to bottom of the lineups was actually very high.

The low point of average skill level in the nhl was in the mid to late 70s when there were 30+ NHL and WHA teams in North America with half their rosters made up of no-talent goons.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
"Pfft, McDavid? That's second page news. Did you hear that Cole Caufield score another OT winner? It's so important we posted it twice." says nhl.com

Oh and we clinched a playoff spot too. But who cares, we aren't Montreal or Toronto fans.

TSN literally ran a segment including video of Caufield scoring in practice.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Replace some Ottawa games with teams you see down at the standings now. lol. How about them Cali teams he rips apart, who are now worse and in his division?
This right here. Do people just ignore the fact that he has torn the league a new asshole multiple times since he entered the league? It’s because of the division is just a slap in the face to his accomplishments this year. He didn’t play any American teams so it doesn’t count? Ok so what if had been able to feast on Buffalo, Jersey,Anaheim or LA? The fact is he is so far above anyone else right now it’s crazy.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
TSN literally ran a segment including video of Caufield scoring in practice.
Woof. Dude scores a few goals in a gimmicky pond hockey period with a stupid amount of open ice and suddenly ppl think he’s the next Gretzky or something. Lol. But hey. The media and fans thought Montreal was going to win the division heading into this season also. No idea what their fascination is with that sub par team. Lol.

anyways. Another game tonight for McDavid. Hoping he can get a few more points to inch closer to that century mark.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I mean if he does this next year when things are probably back to normal with regular divisions and travel, and he scores at this same rate, I'll truly be impressed. Right now it's McDavid is being McDavid and taking advantage of weak divisions, no travel where he gets to play a team like Ottawa 9 times in one season etc...

What a horrible, horrible take.

The North division has the MOST travel out of any of the divisions and is the only one that actually has to go over timezones. Most people would think playing 16 games in 30 days is hard but I guess it's actually easier because people like you on HF say so lmao.

Ottawa has the same Pts% as ALL 3 cali teams in the West. Literally every single division has 2-3 garbage teams. Ottawa would probably not even be a bottom 10 team in the NHL if this was a true season.

I think McDavid was the most motivated to dominate than he's ever been this year given he knew how much attention would be on the North division but I don't think his rates are as inflated as people are making them out to be with a drawn out narrative that has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad