Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What a horrible, horrible take.

The North division has the MOST travel out of any of the divisions and is the only one that actually has to go over timezones. Ottawa has the same Pts% as ALL 3 cali teams in the West. Literally every single division has 2-3 garbage teams. Most people would think playing 16 games in 30 days is hard but I guess it's actually easier because people like you on HF say so lmao. I think McDavid was the most motivated to dominate than he's ever been this year given he knew how much attention would be on the North division but I don't think his rates are as inflated as people are making them out to be with a drawn out narrative that has looked worse and worse as the season has gone on. Ottawa would probably not even be a bottom 10 team in the NHL if this was a true season.
I'm not saying he couldn't do it, but if McDavid scores 150 points in 82 games when things are back to normal, I'll be impressed. Right now I'm seeing the same McDavid taking advantage of an abnormal season, that's all I'm saying

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm not saying he couldn't do it, but if McDavid scores 150 points in 82 games when things are back to normal, I'll be impressed. Right now I'm seeing the same McDavid taking advantage of an abnormal season, that's all I'm saying

How is a season where he's this far ahead of everyone else not impressive? It's literally the best any player could do with the situation at hand.

Reactions: King K Rool

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Replace some Ottawa games with teams you see down at the standings now. lol. How about them Cali teams he rips apart, who are now worse and in his division?
It's not only the divisions, there is not much travel, not much wear and tear, and for McDavid keep playing this same teams over and over makes it easier for him to rack up points

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
How is a season where he's this far ahead of everyone else not impressive? It's literally the best any player could do with the situation at hand.
Again, McDavid is a special player, I'm just not sure he's capable of putting up 150 points in a normal 82 game season, that's the pace he's currently on in this covid season

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Again, McDavid is a special player, I'm just not sure he's capable of putting up 150 points in a normal 82 game season, that's the pace he's currently on in this covid season

I don't think he will either, but the division he's playing in is still lower scoring than the NHL in 1995-96 even (when Jagr scored 149 with Lemieux to help), so he's still having one of the best offensive seasons regardless. Look how much further ahead he is than Draisaitl who plays with him obviously against the exact same teams, and he's the reigning Art Ross winner who just paced for 128 points last season. It just seems odd to not be able to recognize this season for how great it truly is even if he wouldn't score 150 in a normal season.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
It's not only the divisions, there is not much travel, not much wear and tear, and for McDavid keep playing this same teams over and over makes it easier for him to rack up points
The Oilers and McDavid have dealt with more schedule changes and back to backs/3 in 4 than any team not named Montreal or Vancouver. They may not have had much travel except they have way more than most teams in the states this year. But ever since the Habs games were postponed they have had a very difficult schedule none of which was caused by actions of their own. What is the next excuse?

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Un-booked
He passed 91???

With how many games left?

This f***in guy is insane! In a shortened season at that... He's the best player right now... And probably will be for his whole career. Hands down. I think he will edge out Crosby... But he will have to win atleast 1 cup or it will be such a huge disappointment.

I say if he doesn't win a cup in the next 6-7years he should opt out of Edmonton.. sadly it seems like the organization is holding him back... And I will definitely be glad to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Reactions: GreeningOil

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think he will either, but the division he's playing in is still lower scoring than the NHL in 1995-96 even (when Jagr scored 149 with Lemieux to help), so he's still having one of the best offensive seasons regardless. Look how much further ahead he is than Draisaitl who plays with him against obviously against the exact same teams, and he's the reigning Art Ross winner who just paced for 128 points last season. It just seems odd to not be able to recognize this season for how great it truly is even if he wouldn't score 150 in a normal season.
I'm one of the few who doesn't take this season seriously. My team is even doing very well but I'm not too impressed. It's a weird season with weird divisional games constantly interrupted by covid. I can't wait for things to get back to normal, and again, if McDavid scores 150 points in 82 games, I'll post how impressed I am

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He passed 91???

With how many games left?

This f***in guy is insane! In a shortened season at that... He's the best player right now... And probably will be for his whole career. Hands down. I think he will edge out Crosby... But he will have to win atleast 1 cup or it will be such a huge disappointment.

I say if he doesn't win a cup in the next 6-7years he should opt out of Edmonton.. sadly it seems like the organization is holding him back... And I will definitely be glad to eat crow if I'm wrong.
He's at 91 with 6 games left.
4 against Canucks.
2 against Habs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is still travel but they go and stay at one place instead of traveling all over Canada and US, playing back to backs, going back home, playing a game or two, then traveling again etc...

Again, a lot less wear and tear on players.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'm one of the few who doesn't take this season seriously. My team is even doing very well but I'm not too impressed. It's a weird season with weird divisional games constantly interrupted by covid. I can't wait for things to get back to normal, and again, if McDavid scores 150 points in 82 games, I'll post how impressed I am

Lol okay, which team are you a fan of?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
There is still travel but they go and stay at one place instead of traveling all over Canada and US, playing back to backs, going back home, playing a game or two, then traveling again etc...

Again, a lot less wear and tear on players.

Then how come no other player besides McDavid and Matthews are having standout seasons from their previous ones?

Reactions: CN8

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Again, all these excuses as to why McDavid is having a super human season also applies to Draisatl who absolutely torched the league last year.

it’s not just a COVID season, McDavid is nuts.

Reactions: 780il

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I dont care what he did in his era the 50s was a garbage league compared to today. If you wanna rank a player by how well he did in their era then sure. Mcdavid is just better at the sport of hockey bar none, not debatable.

Here's a good example of comparing different eras. It's like saying Genghis Khan's army from the 1200s was not as great because they stand no chance against the modern armies of the US, Russia, China, etc. Point being is always compare the greats by what they did in their eras.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
needs 9 more points in 6 more games now with 4 of those games being against Vancouver

9 points in 6 games is still a decent amount but if I were handicapping betting odds for this he would definitely be favored to hit it at this point

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Wait, now that McDavid is closing in on the century mark we start hearing that ‘they didn’t have to travel much this season’? How does that make any sense? The Oilers have had to play opponents in 4 different time zones. Do people not realize how big Canada is??

The best part is the Oilers are top 3-5 in travel every year, and no one makes excuses for other divisions stars putting up points traveling less in the normal divisions.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Then how come no other player besides McDavid and Matthews are having standout seasons from their previous ones?
Mackinnon is on a 115 point pace in 82 games. Don't think he can do that in a regular normal season.

Makar is at PPG, not sure if he can do that in a normal season.

That's just couple of the guys on my team I follow that are taking advantage of the covid season.

Draisaitl on 120 point pace also, not sure he can do it in a normal season.

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Mackinnon is on a 115 point pace in 82 games. Don't think he can do that in a regular normal season.

That's just couple of the guys on my team I follow that are taking advantage of the covid season.

Mack has previously paced 110 and 107 points, playing 69 and 74 games, very close to a full season and very close to 115 point pace, twice. Makar had 50 in 57 as a rookie, you don't think he can improve from his rookie year?

Draisaitl scored 105 the other year and last year he paced 127, which is better than his pace this year.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
90-95% of the league back when Howe played was Canadian. Mcdavid is dominating in a vastly higher skilled, better coached, better goal tended and faster league. Yeah of course I'll take stats from the 50s with a grain of salt cause 90% of the players back then aren't even cracking AHL rosters today. Mcdavid is just objectively a better player than Howe. Howe objectively dominated his peers more than Mcdavid. Mcdavid's peers objectively are better hockey players than Howes.

Any athlete from the 50's would be higher skilled, better coached, a better goaltender and faster now. On the opposite McDavid wouldn't to be the player we're seeing right now if he was in the 50's. So saying 50's players wouldn't crack the AHL is basically saying capable NHL athletes were suddenly born in the 80's and 90's. How implausible does that sound? In 1955, the 19th best Canadian forward was a second line player. There's no reason to believe that guy wouldn't still be the 19th best Canadian forward today.

McDavid is only objectively better if he you put him face to face with vintage Howe. So shouldn't half the actual NHL be ranked ahead of him in all time lists? Isn't it a silly way to look at this? Unfortunately they won't ever face so we should avoid using hypothetical time travel to compare the greatness of two players.

Last edited:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

Draisaitl had 110 points in 71 games last season. Was that not a normal 71 games? Do you think he wouldn't have gotten any points if the final 11 games were played? 120 points+ was all but guaranteed.

Reactions: RattsSSV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->