Will McDavid reach 100 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Has he really put up 14 points in 5 games? Holy...

I was going to say, 2 points a game over 11 games would be hard to do, and he's had 3 points/game over the first 5! Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Can someone who doesn't have a smooth brain do era adjustment?
Mirtle sent out a tweet recently that showed McDavid’s current season being only behind two other players: 99 and 66. Those two had quite a few seasons that ranked ahead as you’d expect, but still. It’s crazy what he’s doing right now. Historic, really.

Reactions: OKR and TheNumber4

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Mirtle sent out a tweet recently that showed McDavid’s current season being only behind two other players: 99 and 66. Those two had quite a few seasons that ranked ahead as you’d expect, but still. It’s crazy what he’s doing right now. Historic, really.
Yep.. Lemieux once missed the first like 24 games of a season because he was getting treatment for cancer, came back and won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games... those were the days

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Has he really put up 14 points in 5 games? Holy...

I was going to say, 2 points a game over 11 games would be hard to do, and he's had 3 points/game over the first 5! Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh!

He has 22 in his last 8.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
McDavid is an absolute madman. I can't believe he might hit 100. I thought for sure the scoring leader this year would be in the high 70's-80 point range.

I'm a Leafs fan and also a big Crosby guy, but I think as long as nothing catestrophic happens, McDavid is easily going to end up as the 5th best of all-time at worst...If he extends this years play into a few years of peak dominance, he might even have us reconsidering the notion of the big 4.

If he keeps this level for 3-4 years and then does a still impressive burndown of 85-90 point seasons into his mid 30's, can we really say Howe or the injury shortned career of Orr is more impressive? (For the record, I have Mario as #2 rather than the consensus view of #4).

Reactions: K1900L

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
McDavid is an absolute madman. I can't believe he might hit 100. I thought for sure the scoring leader this year would be in the high 70's-80 point range.

I'm a Leafs fan and also a big Crosby guy, but I think as long as nothing catestrophic happens, McDavid is easily going to end up as the 5th best of all-time at worst...If he extends this years play into a few years of peak dominance, he might even have us reconsidering the notion of the big 4.

If he keeps this level for 3-4 years and then does a still impressive burndown of 85-90 point seasons into his mid 30's, can we really say Howe or the injury shortned career of Orr is more impressive? (For the record, I have Mario as #2 rather than the consensus view of #4).

Is Mario at 4 consensus? I know more that have him at 1 than 4.

Anyways, this is McDavids 3rd Ross. How many times did Gordie lead?

I think at some point maybe Gordie and Orr slide down but it's incredibly hard for fans to let go of things. I mean why is Jagr never mentioned as potential top 5? People have slid Crosby past him. I think Ovechkin could be top 5. I don't know. I think people are lazy on their rankings.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Yep.. Lemieux once missed the first like 24 games of a season because he was getting treatment for cancer, came back and won the scoring title with 160 points in 60 games... those were the days
Dude, stop making stuff up. Lemieux missed 23 games in January and February, which is the middle of the season and then came back in March to win the scoring title. He also missed 1 game in December.

Reactions: Sentinel

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Is Mario at 4 consensus? I know more that have him at 1 than 4.

Anyways, this is McDavids 3rd Ross. How many times did Gordie lead?

I think at some point maybe Gordie and Orr slide down but it's incredibly hard for fans to let go of things. I mean why is Jagr never mentioned as potential top 5? People have slid Crosby past him. I think Ovechkin could be top 5. I don't know. I think people are lazy on their rankings.

Maybe "consensus" isn't the right word, but vast majority of lists I've seen (Hockey News, NHL.com, History of Hockey board on this site), almost always have it as 1) Gretzky, 2) Orr, 3) Howe, 4) Mario

Howe has 6 Art Ross IIRC. I think McDavid can easily match that if not surpass. But even if he finishes with 5-6, let's not pretend that's not more impressive than Howe doing it in a 6 team league. This isn't to diminish Howe, his peak, longevity, and the physical presence he brought is an insane combo. But I think if McDavid peaks higher (which he is right now), and holds that peak for a while, it's worth debating McDavid vs Howe.

I do agree that people will be very apprehensive about sliding anyone into the top 4, but McDavid has a good of a chance as any.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Maybe "consensus" isn't the right word, but vast majority of lists I've seen (Hockey News, NHL.com, History of Hockey board on this site), almost always have it as 1) Gretzky, 2) Orr, 3) Howe, 4) Mario

Howe has 6 Art Ross IIRC. I think McDavid can easily match that if not surpass. But even if he finishes with 5-6, let's not pretend that's not more impressive than Howe doing it in a 6 team league. This isn't to diminish Howe, his peak, longevity, and the physical presence he brought is an insane combo. But I think if McDavid peaks higher (which he is right now), and holds that peak for a while, it's worth debating McDavid vs Howe.

I do agree that people will be very apprehensive about sliding anyone into the top 4, but McDavid has a good of a chance as any.

I almost think that at some point it will have to be split into eras. Maybe Gretzky rookie season as the cut off, because while I think Orr and Howe are all time greats, I don't really think they stand up to Gretz, Lemieux, Jagr, Ovechkin, Coffey, Lidstrom, Crosby, McDavid etc.

Do other sports have such a pool of players that everyone's list could be vastly different and spanning 6-7 decades? I don't follow anything other than LaCrosse and they have a very clear cut.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Canucks look totally gassed out. McDavid gets to 100 by the end of the week

91 Points, 6 games remaining (4 vs. Nucks)... yeah looking like it will be hard for him not to reach 100.

Will be interesting to see if Vancouver changes their strategy and really tries to grind out some wins or just roll over here.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I almost think that at some point it will have to be split into eras. Maybe Gretzky rookie season as the cut off, because while I think Orr and Howe are all time greats, I don't really think they stand up to Gretz, Lemieux, Jagr, Ovechkin, Coffey, Lidstrom, Crosby, McDavid etc.

Do other sports have such a pool of players that everyone's list could be vastly different and spanning 6-7 decades? I don't follow anything other than LaCrosse and they have a very clear cut.

Sports like basketball and soccer have all-time greats like Wilt Chamberlin and Pele from the 1960's/70's, and it's hard enough to compare those players to modern players like LeBron James and Messi. Nothing as insane as hockey trying to make a cohesive list of all-time greats ranging from the 1920's until today.

Furthermore, Soccer has always been an international sports, and basketball doesn't have any major structural changes. NHL meanwhile consisted almost entirely of Canadian talent for the first half of it's existance, and has things like goalie equipment size and general evolution of the goaltending position affecting offensive output. Plus massive expansion from 6-32 teams.

It's really a mess to compare across eras

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Remember when voters had Patrick Kane as consensus pick for the Hart?

It's like an army of Dick Beddoes runs the NHL media now:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
We are honestly witnessing one of the best hockey players that will ever play the game. Pretty unreal to see what he is doing.

I find it so impressive that he does so much with so little. It's not like he's playing on a Tampa or Boston where they have tons of talent and depth. Sometimes he plays with Draisaitl but most of the time he drives his own line with unknown players to many. lol

Reactions: Frosty415

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Remember when voters had Patrick Kane as consensus pick for the Hart?

It's like an army of Dick Beddoes runs the NHL media now:

That was like 30 games ago when Kane was looking as great as ever, carrying the Hawks.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
That was like 30 games ago when Kane was looking as great as ever, carrying the Hawks.
And McDavid was still destroying him in the scoring race by a sizable margin.

It was a horrible take back then, and even more laughable in hindsight.

It was click-bait journalists trying being edgy and contrarian. Just like Dick Beddoes with Gretzky.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
He’s for sure going to do it. If not for the season cancelling when it did last year, he could have had 5 seasons in a row of over 100 points. Who was the last player to do that?

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
He’s for sure going to do it. If not for the season cancelling when it did last year, he could have had 5 seasons in a row of over 100 points. Who was the last player to do that?

I think nobody would complain if you said McDavid has 4 straight 100 point seasons, and this season looking more likely and likely to be his 5th in a row. He had nearly 100 when the league was shut down, its a lock he wouldve made it.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
He's either gonna hit 100, or 97

I would never doubt that he could do it after being that close however. I've been on the 100 pt band wagon most the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->