Dreger: Will Duchene move if the Sens go full rebuild?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Hahaha. To top things off, they gave Colorado their first rounder next year meaning a good damn shot at Hughes. Sakic made out like a bandit which makes no ****ing sense. Dorian needs to go, same as Melnyk.

They have the choice to keep it this year if its top 10 or defer it to next year where it wont be protected. They can make it simple by finishing 11th this year but I dunno if that's happening.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Sens should be trying to keep Duchene I think. His trade value is down, but he can still be a good solid secondary piece on a contending team most likely.

Selling Karlsson + Brassard + a few other pieces, drafting presumably in the top 5 this upcoming summer, and a half-decent shot at a top 3 pick, and then a bit more restructuring next season (whcih will also be a rough year), and after that they could potentially start climbing as a good young team. Goaltending is definitely a major question mark though, and if that isn't fixed, they'll remain near the bottom longer.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Sens should be trying to keep Duchene I think. His trade value is down, but he can still be a good solid secondary piece on a contending team most likely.

Selling Karlsson + Brassard + a few other pieces, drafting presumably in the top 5 this upcoming summer, and a half-decent shot at a top 3 pick, and then a bit more restructuring next season (whcih will also be a rough year), and after that they could potentially start climbing as a good young team. Goaltending is definitely a major question mark though, and if that isn't fixed, they'll remain near the bottom longer.
Duchene had been the Sens best player for over a month. He's playing his best hockey of the season

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Duchene had been the Sens best player for over a month. He's playing his best hockey of the season

Players have good months. You shouldn't extrapolate the best stretches of their season just like you shouldn't extrapolate the worst stretches.

He has 38 points in 60 games (52 point pace), and had 41 points last season. Even historically, his career PPG pace over 82 games is 59 points, which unless you're a Selke candidate (he isn't), would put someone in the category of good solid secondary piece on a contending team (which is what I called him).

Really not sure what you're trying to contest here.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013

And next month he'll probably go back to being a ghost. This is what Duchene is. He's not a player you win with.

Watch, he's eventually going to state how he wants to win with Ottawa because he's content with playing so close to home and actually cares more about how he does individually rather than how the team does.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
And next month he'll probably go back to being a ghost. This is what Duchene is. He's not a player you win with.

Watch, he's eventually going to state how he wants to win with Ottawa because he's content with playing so close to home and actually cares more about how he does individually rather than how the team does.

We ain't winning with him or without him so it's something of a mute point.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
Can't see him staying, he want out here in CO because we weren't winning enough for him

Weast

May 16, 2011
Man you can't even blame the guy. He asked for a trade to a contender which I think he deserved because it looked like the Avs had to rebuild for another few years, and then the team he gets traded to is absolutely imploding. He never cried or bitched about his situation and while he may have given up on the team last year he still played to the best he could. I hope once he leaves Ottawa he goes to a playoff contender he deserves

Reactions: Iceman

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just trade Duchene. He doesn't want to do this again. You traded for him because he doesn't want to do this again.

Also amazing that since that trade they've gone from feeling like they are contenders to blowing the whole thing up.

I don't know if they'd want to do this and it would depend on the final standings, but could Ottawa have a top 10 pick, trade down, and then flip it to Colorado? Even if they can't, it might be worth it for them if someone offers you next year's 1st round pick to make a big move up.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Sens should gut the entire team for prospects and picks. The amount of assets they'll receive will ensure a quick rebuild.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just trade Duchene. He doesn't want to do this again. You traded for him because he doesn't want to do this again.

Also amazing that since that trade they've gone from feeling like they are contenders to blowing the whole thing up.

I don't know if they'd want to do this and it would depend on the final standings, but could Ottawa have a top 10 pick, trade down, and then flip it to Colorado? Even if they can't, it might be worth it for them if someone offers you next year's 1st round pick to make a big move up.

No. It's surprising how many people aren't getting this.

The Senators 2018 pick will belong to Ottawa IF it's in the top 10 unless they choose to give it to Colorado. If the pick is later than 10, it automatically belongs to the Avs.

They don't get to trade down and give a different pick that previously belonged to another team to the Avs...that's not part of what they traded.

If they choose to keep the Top-10 2018 pick, then the 2019 pick is automatically transferred to Colorado.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It was a post from a fellow Isles fan on HF Isles...
ifit would make sense if the trade was a first at Ottawa's option.

ive seen that several times where a team has acquired a pick in a certain round to fulfill a prior trade requirement. the first round may be different however since it is the first round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad