Dreger: Will Duchene move if the Sens go full rebuild?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I dont know if its true in round one, but I know for a FACT THAT TEAMS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO TRADE FOR A PICK IN A PARTICULAR ROUND TO TO FULFILL A CONDITIONAL PICK REQUIREMENT

It has nothing to do with the round of the pick. If the conditions of the trade dictate that the other team can trade any pick within that round or there's a condition along the lines of 'Ottawa Senators will trade the lowest 2018 1st round pick they have' then it's valid. But that isn't what was negotiated, it was their 2018 or 2019 1st with top 10 protection.

You also can't retroactively change the conditions without the other team accepting the amendment. I don't know if this has happened but I imagine an example would be if a team conditionally traded their 3rd but wanted to offersheet someone, the team they traded with could potentially agree to defer a year or accept another 3rd or some other similar value. My guess is it would be treated like another trade.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think he will stay. It legitimately sounds like he wants to be part of the solution and I could see him having a letter without question.

One of the top 3 forwards we've ever had in Ottawa. Heatley was awesome, but really one dimensional, so I'd say duchene is right up there with the best.

Incredible...I was very timid on what we paid to get him, but I FULLY understand now.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
but I know for a FACT THAT TEAMS HAVE BEEN ALLOWED TO TRADE FOR A PICK IN A PARTICULAR ROUND TO TO FULFILL A CONDITIONAL PICK REQUIREMENT
Except it wasn't a conditional 1st round pick. It was just a top-10 protected pick. There was no condition involved. A top-10 protection is not the same as a conditional pick that changes rounds or anything else

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think he will stay. It legitimately sounds like he wants to be part of the solution and I could see him having a letter without question.

One of the top 3 forwards we've ever had in Ottawa. Heatley was awesome, but really one dimensional, so I'd say duchene is right up there with the best.

Incredible...I was very timid on what we paid to get him, but I FULLY understand now.

...Alfredsson? Spezza? Hossa? Yashin? Heatley? Stone? Hell even Turris.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Isn't OTT in the midst of a scorched earth (including a franchise jetison)?

I think the answer to the Duchene question is an emphatic "YES!".

There will be more pain coming than you'll ever know. I believe the bleeding will stop when the Sens move out of town and they bring in an AHL team.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It'll be an interesting story to follow anyway. The Sens situation doesn't seem to be trending all that well. Let's see how a Karlsson trade goes and what else transpires in the spiral. Duchesne has them over a barrel, he can ask for a lot.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He might better longevity than Heatley but he's never shown the offensive game or goal scoring ability that he had.
His overall game is better imo, drives lanes better, creates great space.

Heatley was our best sniper in history.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It has nothing to do with the round of the pick. If the conditions of the trade dictate that the other team can trade any pick within that round or there's a condition along the lines of 'Ottawa Senators will trade the lowest 2018 1st round pick they have' then it's valid. But that isn't what was negotiated, it was their 2018 or 2019 1st with top 10 protection.

You also can't retroactively change the conditions without the other team accepting the amendment. I don't know if this has happened but I imagine an example would be if a team conditionally traded their 3rd but wanted to offersheet someone, the team they traded with could potentially agree to defer a year or accept another 3rd or some other similar value. My guess is it would be treated like another trade.
Like I said I just remember it was a big clusterf**k at the time and I only remembered because as an islander fan my team was involved. I remember thinking don't teams know what picks they have. I know also for offersheets it had to be exact picks. so when Newsday reported that the league had to check the original paperwork it stood out to me. It wasn't an instantaneous thing either it took them 2 or 3 days before they announced the resolution. It wasn't something fans of other teams would think about only those of teams involved.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Isn't OTT in the midst of a scorched earth (including a franchise jetison)?

I think the answer to the Duchene question is an emphatic "YES!".

There will be more pain coming than you'll ever know. I believe the bleeding will stop when the Sens move out of town and they bring in an AHL team.

Except that we’re in the process of building a billion dollar arena.

The Sens aren’t going anywhere.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Like I said I just remember it was a big clusterf**k at the time and I only remembered because as an islander fan my team was involved. I remember thinking don't teams know what picks they have. I know also for offersheets it had to be exact picks. so when Newsday reported that the league had to check the original paperwork it stood out to me. It wasn't an instantaneous thing either it took them 2 or 3 days before they announced the resolution. It wasn't something fans of other teams would think about only those of teams involved.

Well, if someone found a loophole before, you better believe the lawyers are aware of it and closed it. It’s going to be Ottawa’s pick. They aren’t going to be able to sub it out for the worst pick in the first round.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Ottawa traded an essentially resigned Kyle Turris, their 2017 first round pick, either their 2018 or 2019 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick for Matt Duchene. Trading Duchene and not recouping that value will basically be a public acknowledgement of how taken advantage of PD was in that negotiation. I can't see him getting that kind of value back again, so I really can't see him trading Duchene before the deadline next year.

This season has really messed Ottawa up. Needing Duchene to immediately replace Turris made them way too desperate. A few more weeks and Sakic would have more than likely accepted a package of a 1st, Girard, and Bowers and at least Ottawa would have still had an extra 2nd, 3rd, and a forward prospect.

I still can't believe how good Colorado came out of that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad