Dreger: Will Duchene move if the Sens go full rebuild?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I can't imagine why he would stay after making such a stink about leaving Colorado. If Ottawa moves Karlsson for a less than stellar return, they're in a worse position than Colorado was when Duchene wanted out so bad imo. They might not have the historically bad record but they'll have less talent.

Reactions: Ola

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I'm not sure I've seen anything like this. And I live through the Ballard years.

Eugene Melnyk is the modern day version of Harold Ballard. What a f***ing cheapskate. If he has any dignity, he would give back that kidney to that poor Sens fan that was promised a Stanley Cup by him.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Except it wasn't a conditional 1st round pick. It was just a top-10 protected pick. There was no condition involved. A top-10 protection is not the same as a conditional pick that changes rounds or anything else

So you're saying it is a 1st round pick with conditions? I mean top 10 protected is a condition, you can try to change the definition if you'd like, but the pick is a conditional first rounder.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Easy answer is yes. Assuming a full rebuild, he should not be a part of it. Trade him at this or the next deadline for whatever you can get.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
So you're saying it is a 1st round pick with conditions?
Sure, which is somewhat different from a conditional pick. I feel like that's usually reserved for things like where the team giving the pick finishes in terms of playoff rounds, or how many games the player going the other way plays for the team, or if they re-sign with the team sending the pick. And in those cases the conditions are spelled out quite clearly. A lottery protection is a little different from those things (imo). It's all semantics though. We're getting Ottawa's original pick, not Pittsburgh's or any other team.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets lost out on Bassard as our 3C, I would take Duchene as our 3C.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Eugene Melnyk is the modern day version of Harold Ballard. What a ****ing cheapskate. If he has any dignity, he would give back that kidney to that poor Sens fan that was promised a Stanley Cup by him.

The old save me, give me a liver and I will make sure that you get a great team here in Ottawa. We will get a cup I promise trick. I guess that's like thanks for saving my life suckers

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Jets lost out on Bassard as our 3C, I would take Duchene as our 3C.

I have no clue how we manage to pull that off given the pieces we’ve deemed expendable. Chevys not going to trade Ehlers, Connor, or Roslovic, and likely not Vesalainen either. Ottawa won’t value our other prospects even close to as much as we do.

I don’t see a world where our 1st + a mix of Petan, Appleton, Stanley, Samberg, Niku, Foley, Green would pull it off.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
I think at this point we might as well just have a Ottawa Senators 2018 "Yard Sale" Edition thread. Since it seems like everyone one of our players on the roster has a thread.

Reactions: jayhabs

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
this is like modern day Pocklington level mis-management unless the Sens know something about EK's physical condition after surgery that everyone else doesn't

I haven't been watching but it seems like his performance dip this year was more a product of the team also dipping

Why even get Duchene if you're blowing the team up

Reactions: jayhabs

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Why did they trade for Duchene if the owner can't afford to give EK $350? I don't understand this.

Even if that story is false, which I assume it is, the point remains.

Because we are not making the playoffs. Melnyk has been so bad with his money that despite cutting everything, if we don't make the playoffs it's a financial disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad