Dreger: Will Duchene move if the Sens go full rebuild?

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I don't think they can with what they gave up, they'd look like idiots.

This is true. But they'd look like even bigger idiots if they just let him walk.

Honestly the entire "plan" of this year of going for it and when that didn't seem to be working out deciding to rebuild about 2 months later is amateur hour like I've never seen with this organization. If Dorion had any intrinsic pulse on the team he'd know last year they weren't as good as they ended up and this year they aren't as bad as they're currently playing. If the Sens kept their roster and ended up winning a top pick in the lottery they could be a contender within a couple years adding a Svechnikov lets say. But nope, we'll never know...cuz Melnyk.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Because we are not making the playoffs. Melnyk has been so bad with his money that despite cutting everything, if we don't make the playoffs it's a financial disaster.

No, I asked why they traded for Duchene. That's what I meant, anyways. If he's this cheap, it was a stupid move in the first place.

Sorry, Sens fans. :(

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No, I asked why they traded for Duchene. That's what I meant, anyways. If he's this cheap, it was a stupid move in the first place.

Sorry, Sens fans. :(

At the time we made the trade for Duchene things were looking quite good (not great) and the thought that it would give us the nudge to really turn it on.

It didn't work out. It was a gamble.

I am still happy we made the trade, better to at least try.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At the time we made the trade for Duchene things were looking quite good (not great) and the thought that it would give us the nudge to really turn it on.

It didn't work out. It was a gamble.

I am still happy we made the trade, better to at least try.

It was a gamble. Plus, if the Sens are back in the playoff mix, it should increase the chances that Karlsson re-signs in the summer.

Now, with the selling off of Brassard, it looks like there will be a rebuild.

Duchene is 27 in 2018. UFA in 2019 at 28. How long will it take for the Sens to return to the playoffs if they sell more guys? So, it really doesn't make sense to keep Duchene until he is 30/31 if that is how long it will take for the Sens to regroup and build the team around the likes of Gustofsson in net, Chabot on D (going to need more Dmen), Brown, White, etc.

Have to get good returns on Hoffman, Duchene, Karlsson. Going to be hard to recoup what they have given up for Duchene. I think, realistically, Duchene is a draft day trade, since the new team can extend him a week later. Know that they will have him for the long haul.

Karlsson is actually more a TDL move if the top level teams come knocking with their best offers. If they want him for the next 2 playoffs and are prepared to let him test UFA since he'll command $11 million plus on the open market. If he's moved at the draft, then it's to a team that can pay him that money and buy out the remaining years of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad