Will Brunner be back?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Hudler is a significantly better player than Brunner. He can play the same shooter role Brunner does, or he can be the playmaker. Or he can play the "Holmstrom" role. He can play all three forward positions, and any spot on the PP. He forchecks well, and he's a capable though not stellar defender.

Brunner is a faster skater, but is significantly weaker than Hudler in EVERY other area except for having a comparable wrist shot.

Giving Brunner more than $3.5m is ridiculous.

Who would have guessed Eva would show up with a Hudler post :laugh:

You should write Hudlers website for him, you are able to make him seem better than his actually is in every area.

Hudler is possibly the worst skater in the entire league. Brunner is miles better than him when it comes to skating, but Hudler is a better playmaker.

Other than that the 2 are pretty much interchangable.

Neither has any ounce of physical play in them. Both can only do the tipping the puck half of Holmstrom's role, as neither are strong enough to retrieve pucks from the corners. Both were disasters on the point on the power play, neither can take face-offs or defend an opposing center but both have good shots and are able to contribute enough offensively to be productive players.

I don't think either are worth 16 million over 4 years, but I could live with Brunner receiving that much on a short term deal. I think he has more offensive potential considering he's still learning the NHL game.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Yes...he'll be back. Datsyuk signing for 7.5aav means filppula is out, brunner is in, and tatar/nyquist will occupy filppula's spot

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Hudler is possibly the worst skater in the entire league. Brunner is miles better than him when it comes to skating, but Hudler is a better playmaker.

Hudler is a good skater, he's just not a FAST skater. He's plenty agile. And I believe that I acknowledged Brunner has the advantage in skating, didn't I?

Other than that the 2 are pretty much interchangable.

Hudler put up better numbers than Brunner this year despite the fact that Brunner played much of the year with a hot Zetterberg (and started with both Z and Dats) and played all year on the 1st PP with Z, Dats, etc. Hudler was playing with guys like Cervenka, Stajan, and Comeau as his linemates.

Even after earning it several times over, Hudler was never given the opportunity that was spoon-fed to Brunner this season.

Neither has any ounce of physical play in them. Both can only do the tipping the puck half of Holmstrom's role, as neither are strong enough to retrieve pucks from the corners. Both were disasters on the point on the power play, neither can take face-offs or defend an opposing center but both have good shots and are able to contribute enough offensively to be productive players.

Hudler centered the top line for the Czechs at the WCs, led the team in goals, and was two points behind Voracek (who played on his wing). The only Canadian with more goals was Stamkos. Stamkos, Giroux and Ladd had more points.

I don't think either are worth 16 million over 4 years, but I could live with Brunner receiving that much on a short term deal. I think he has more offensive potential considering he's still learning the NHL game.

Brunner could explode into a regular 30-goal guy or more. Or that slump we saw him experience midseason, likely based on fatigue, could be an indication that he can't handle a full NHL season. He certainly isn't worth $4m if he's going to disappear after 50 games.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The longer this drags on, the less likely I'm thinking it is that Brunner will be back.

crashman

The longer this drags on, the less likely I'm thinking it is that Brunner will be back.

Brunner will be back if they want him back. He's not in a position to demand a high salary like a lot of you are saying. There may be some dumb GMs in this league, but all of them are going to be skeptical of a 27 year old player that played all of his career in a Swiss league, and only has one 48 game season on his NHL resume.

I hope Holland doesn't panic and waits until free-agency opens to sign Brunner, I want to see who else might be available there before they commit to Brunner.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think they get a deal done. Brunner's agent is just being a good advocate and maximizing his leverage at this point.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Hopefully Brunner will be back.

Comparing Brunner to Hudler ... in my view makes no sense.

1) Having seen Hudler from time to time and in the WC ... he is not bad ! Not perfect but not bad. A good goal scorer. .... like Brunner.

2) Hudler has 5 full season of NHL practice ! Brunner 1/2 ... and we saw him changing and improving. Give him time !

Hudler, during his years ended up aroung 5th in goal scoring ... Brunner, in his first year ended up 3rd in regular season and 1st in playoffs.
Give the poor Brunner time if comparing them.

And remember that Brunner finished 3 goal scorer in reg.season and 1st in playoffs for a price under 1 mio !

++

Not to resign him would be a mistake ... that won't be done in my view.
now for 1/3/5/7 years and for 2/3/4 mio a year is another discussion. This is the part that is actually taking time.

Zetteryuk

May 15, 2013
Brunner will be back for a fair price. Almost guarantee it. Can almost guarantee he ends up in our top 3 goal scorers next season... Cant believe people are comparing him to hudler lol.. There are not many guys on the DRW's id trust to finish their scoring chances but brunner is one i def trust to make his count more often then not. After babcock scratched him because of his defensive play he really stepped it up defensively. Babcock seen this as well, and for a guy who's never played a season in the NHL he out produced almost everyone. It would be a really stupid move not to re sign brunner for a fair deal.. He's 27 and in his prime and still has a few years to improve his weaknesses that i can guarantee do improve. plus the guy loved playing here more than anyone on the team from the looks of it. Signing him is a good move and it will be done.

EDIT: If holland is skeptical sign him for one year at 3.5 mil (wich is pretty fair for his output this last season) if he doesnt like his game next season move on. But im pretty confident what we seen this season scoring wise from brunner is going to pretty much be his normal production, if not better. Id have no problem with a 3 year + deal for brunner at a good price.

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Any news? Surprised he hasn't been resigned yet, I thought both parties would have gotten a deal done rather quickly.

Do you think he wants to test the waters a bit and see what he gets?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I sure hope not, His offense can be replaced by Nyquist or Tatar at a fraction of the cost.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Last I heard Detroit thinks: 3 years and 2.5 per. Difficult to ascertain what Brunner actually thinks but word is "more on both fronts".

I've been pretty sure we're gonna lose him the whole time; would love to be wrong but if all these washed up forwards are worth 5+, I can't see how Brunner isn't worth 3 for 3 (or rather, how can can't command that since I'm terrified his defense will suck forever).

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Damien Brunner wants to remain in Detroit, and he wants to be around for several years.

That’s about how far the Red Wings have gotten in their negotiations with Brunner, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent July 5.

Brunner’s agent, Neil Sheehy, told the Free Press on Tuesday that Brunner “will sign longer than one year.”

Sheehy also emphasized that Brunner “loves Detroit.”

http://www.freep.com/article/201306...ports05?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

RedWingsNow*

Last I heard Detroit thinks: 3 years and 2.5 per. Difficult to ascertain what Brunner actually thinks but word is "more on both fronts".

I've been pretty sure we're gonna lose him the whole time; would love to be wrong but if all these washed up forwards are worth 5+, I can't see how Brunner isn't worth 3 for 3 (or rather, how can can't command that since I'm terrified his defense will suck forever).

In the last 10-11 years of Red Wings hockey I've watched the following guys at wing:

Criippled Yzerman
Brokeback Shanny
Old Brett Hull.
Fart Luc Robitaille
Can't Skate Tomas Holmstrom
No D Ray Whitney
Slow Rehab Darren McCarty
Goon Aaron Downey
40-year-old Steve Thomas
Clueless Jason Williams
Useless Kyle Calder
Busted Down Todd Bertuzzi
Stationary Bike Jiri Hudler
Try When I Want to Johan Franzen
Nearly Done Dan Cleary

The emphasis people put on the defensive requirements of these guys is ridiculous.
The Red Wings have never required scoring line wingers to be all that good defensively.

We saw a couple brutal giveaways by Brunner. And yes, he's soft on the boards. But he also used his speed and smarts to break up plays. He's better defensively than 2/3rds of the guys I listed above.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
In the last 10-11 years of Red Wings hockey I've watched the following guys at wing:

Criippled Yzerman
Brokeback Shanny
Old Brett Hull.
Fart Luc Robitaille
Can't Skate Tomas Holmstrom
No D Ray Whitney
Slow Rehab Darren McCarty
Goon Aaron Downey
40-year-old Steve Thomas
Clueless Jason Williams
Useless Kyle Calder
Busted Down Todd Bertuzzi
Stationary Bike Jiri Hudler
Try When I Want to Johan Franzen
Nearly Done Dan Cleary

The emphasis people put on the defensive requirements of these guys is ridiculous.
The Red Wings have never required scoring line wingers to be all that good defensively.

We saw a couple brutal giveaways by Brunner. And yes, he's soft on the boards. But he also used his speed and smarts to break up plays. He's better defensively than 2/3rds of the guys I listed above.

Let me put it nicely okay?

He had a good first 10 games, he had a great playoff.

All the games inbetween? Basically sucked. Both by numbers and by the eye. I think the kid floats; actually check that, I KNOW he floats.

If you promise me we get the kid we had in the playoffs, I sign for 3+ a year for 5 years and I ignore coughing up the puck.

Yeap, I know that's not a popular opinion but that's definitely mine after watching this season.

Also: sorry, that sounds 100% worse than I meant it to sound but it's basically how I feel about the guy and I've been watching the news all night so my tolerance for BS is very low atm. Not trying to antagonize you.

Edit: Basically, score more, try more, don't wear down "or" play damn good defense so I don't notice when you're on a 30 game scoring slump.

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

Brunner could score 35 goals with Datsyuk. I don't really care what he does defensively. I think I'd sign this guy to a 3-4 year deal at 3M a year knowing full well he could be a huge bargain.
My god, we just signed an old and busted Mikael Samuelsson to a 3M a year deal. We resigned a useless Kyle Quincey to nearly $4M a year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
See no problem with Brunner's effort. As RWN says his speed at least makes it so he bothers the guy more than Hudler used to, even if his positioning can be pretty terrible at times. It also means when he backchecks and he does do that he at least applies enough pressure that it slows the other team down.

Float isn't how I would describe his play. What he seemed to struggle with is after the first ten games they do this thing at the NHL level. They study tape, those slick moves go away, they read tendencies and I bet he never had as many guys deflect his shot in Switzerland over the course of his career there as he did in February and March.

He was learning though, he stopped making the same series of three moves, he started hiding his shot better. He started to see that a board battle where you are knocked on your butt isn't possession over. You can in fact create a scramble off of it.

Brunner is never going to be perfect, but I don't question his compete level or desire to get better. What he learned this season more than likely is NHL hockey is a week to week adjustment. The opponents know what you do well and they can take it away. He needs to get stronger and he needs to be in the right place more often. You could see him adjusting, trying to learn, listening to the guys around him. He should build off of it and I think it will help to have a similar guy in Tatar to bounce ideas off of. Not a perfect match but similar desires on how they want to play and a hunger to score goals.

You can carry an offense first guy on a line as long as he shows some willingness to backcheck and try defensively. It just dictates what else is on the line. Brunner is fine there, actually so is Franzen despite the many rally cries the other direction. Not perfect, but an effort and an accountability to their teammates and coaches.

One last thing, for the Love of God Babs, get him of the PP point!:shakehead

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Brunner could score 35 goals with Datsyuk. I don't really care what he does defensively. I think I'd sign this guy to a 3-4 year deal at 3M a year knowing full well he could be a huge bargain.
My god, we just signed an old and busted Mikael Samuelsson to a 3M a year deal. We resigned a useless Kyle Quincey to nearly $4M a year.

I would happily pay 3 million a year for 35 goals. Of course, he'd have to skate hard for more than 24 games to do that no?

"I concede the defensive issue is overblown if he's really a dynamite scorer. But if he's going to float for more than half the games, he won't score enough to justify that. 35 goal guys can suck on defense. 20 goal guys who only put together 25 good games certainly can't"

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
See no problem with Brunner's effort. As RWN says his speed at least makes it so he bothers the guy more than Hudler used to, even if his positioning can be pretty terrible at times. It also means when he backchecks and he does do that he at least applies enough pressure that it slows the other team down.

Float isn't how I would describe his play. What he seemed to struggle with is after the first ten games they do this thing at the NHL level. They study tape, those slick moves go away, they read tendencies and I bet he never had as many guys deflect his shot in Switzerland over the course of his career there as he did in February and March.

He was learning though, he stopped making the same series of three moves, he started hiding his shot better. He started to see that a board battle where you are knocked on your butt isn't possession over. You can in fact create a scramble off of it.

Brunner is never going to be perfect, but I don't question his compete level or desire to get better. What he learned this season more than likely is NHL hockey is a week to week adjustment. The opponents know what you do well and they can take it away. He needs to get stronger and he needs to be in the right place more often. You could see him adjusting, trying to learn, listening to the guys around him. He should build off of it and I think it will help to have a similar guy in Tatar to bounce ideas off of. Not a perfect match but similar desires on how they want to play and a hunger to score goals.

You can carry an offense first guy on a line as long as he shows some willingness to backcheck and try defensively. It just dictates what else is on the line. Brunner is fine there, actually so is Franzen despite the many rally cries the other direction. Not perfect, but an effort and an accountability to their teammates and coaches.

One last thing, for the Love of God Babs, get him of the PP point!:shakehead

Gonna respectfully disagree that he wasn't floating at times. Dunno if it's because his fitness/strength level wasn't there; definitely seemed like a factor.

He stopped moving his legs for a very long time there and that isn't acceptable for more than 3 million.

Again, I accept that isn't a popular opinion but in I assure you it's not from lack of watching this time; I have no trouble finding Red Wings games here in Toronto. Grand Rapids can be a bit harder.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
He wants more than one year, well why not give it to him and if it doesn't work out use the compliance buyout you saved on him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
"Stopped moving his legs", and then there was reports about groin injury. 1+1=2.

Too often health problems are turned to "being lazy" speculation, that is just totally wrong direction of speculation.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Who do you want on the team?
Let's see your optimal lineup for next year, Mindfly

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67432389&postcount=33

Obviously now Miller is re-signed, so some further tweaking must be done.

But basically, use both buy-outs, waive/trade scrubs, get rid of dead weight and RFA's who got no future with the wings, also get rid of some smaller players who can't play D.

If there are any money left, try to get a defensive defenseman who blocks alot of shots and isn't a lieability.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67432389&postcount=33

Obviously now Miller is re-signed, so some further tweaking must be done.

But basically, use both buy-outs, waive/trade scrubs, get rid of dead weight and RFA's who got no future with the wings, also get rid of some smaller players who can't play D.

If there are any money left, try to get a defensive defenseman who blocks alot of shots and isn't a lieability.

I've got to hand it to you for making a lineup that still has Abdelkader playing with Datsyuk.

You're a brave man, mindfly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad