Will Brunner be back?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
It looks like the Brunner-process will be a special case. Something like, he will hit the free agency, gets offers, and that decides his market value.

Still, if Holland matches the highest outside offer, he will sign with the Wings. He likes it here.

In a large UFA market with a dropping cap, his price very probably won't skyrocket anywhere.

We will get him for that ~3 million, I think. Term is hard to predict. 4 years would be ideal.

This is what I'm thinking will happen too. But once a guy goes on the market you never know.

Ideally I'd want a two year deal and see where things stand then with our wingers(Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Mantha, Frk etc.) but I'd go longer to keep him if needed.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This is what I'm thinking will happen too. But once a guy goes on the market you never know.

Ideally I'd want a two year deal and see where things stand then with our wingers(Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Mantha, Frk etc.) but I'd go longer to keep him if needed.

If Brunner is not re-signed by Friday, he's gone. I'd be willing to bet anything on that, Holland doesn't mess around.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
If Brunner is not re-signed by Friday, he's gone. I'd be willing to bet anything on that, Holland doesn't mess around.

On Friday yes, but he can start collecting offers tomorrow.

It might be a blessing in disguise to not have Brunner locked up yet though. If they can get their hands on Weiss or Horton that might be a better fit for our top six. Not a ton of wiggle room even with some buyouts, so that money could be needed. I think this 48 hour period is great to weigh your own FA's with the market.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
On Friday yes, but he can start collecting offers tomorrow.

It might be a blessing in disguise to not have Brunner locked up yet though. If they can get their hands on Weiss or Horton that might be a better fit for our top six. Not a ton of wiggle room even with some buyouts, so that money could be needed. I think this 48 hour period is great to weigh your own FA's with the market.

What's strange is that we really haven't heard anything concrete on what Brunner wants or what Detroit wants...just that they aren't on the same page (shock).

He's either gone or a deal comes out of left field without warning.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
What's strange is that we really haven't heard anything concrete on what Brunner wants or what Detroit wants...just that they aren't on the same page (shock).

I thought i read some where that Brunners agent said that they would like at least $2.5mil over 3-4 years, And that Holland was more like around $2.0mil for 2 years I think i saw it in the Detroit News. The article did say that Brunner loves Detroit and wants to sign long term.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Yeah.. I think it's a combination.

If I would speculate Kenny has probably given an offer on the lower spectrum while Brunner/agent want to know what the highest offer available is. In the meanwhile they've been pretty much on hold.

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
I thought i read some where that Brunners agent said that they would like at least $2.5mil over 3-4 years, And that Holland was more like around $2.0mil for 2 years I think i saw it in the Detroit News. The article did say that Brunner loves Detroit and wants to sign long term.

Really? I thought the Wings were ok with $2.5M from previous reports?

Helene St James recently said "Somewhere in the $2.5-million-per-season range should work for both sides". I doubt she would be that specific unless she got it from the DRW front office (like almost everything else she prints).

Bottom line, the FA market will far outbid anything KH is willing to match. I guarantee it. If Brunner top priority is money, he's leaving unfortunately. The only chance is that Brunner is trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Holland, so he's going to the market for a "price check". Not sure that will fly with Holland either, since he's so far out of touch with other GMs; it might just piss him off.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Gifted hands and a great shot and good offensive awareness. A bit weak, I think he prefer space over traffic quite a lot. Not exactly defensive minded.

Is he good at distributing the puck with speed? Looking for a RW to play with E. Kane.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Helene St James recently said "Somewhere in the $2.5-million-per-season range should work for both sides". I doubt she would be that specific unless she got it from the DRW front office (like almost everything else she prints).

Bottom line, the FA market will far outbid anything KH is willing to match. I guarantee it. If Brunner top priority is money, he's leaving unfortunately. The only chance is that Brunner is trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of Holland, so he's going to the market for a "price check". Not sure that will fly with Holland either, since he's so far out of touch with other GMs; it might just piss him off.

Actually the last thing i read is that the money issued was solved but they could'nt come to an agreement on the length of contract Brunner and his agent want i think 3 to 4 years and Holland does'nt want more then 1 or 2 at the most that's the hold up.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Actually the last thing i read is that the money issued was solved but they could'nt come to an agreement on the length of contract Brunner and his agent want i think 3 to 4 years and Holland does'nt want more then 1 or 2 at the most that's the hold up.

I can't believe Holland wouldn't go for 3 years, $8MM (based on the numbers from this thread) for a potential 25-30 goals, 60 points guy.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus

Which part?

And this:

12 G x (82/48) = 21 goals
14 A x (82/48) = 24 assists

Considering all the factors at play, I think he could easily get 25-30 goals and 25-30 assists in the next couple of seasons.

$8MM/3 years = $2.66MM

Unless you meant my faith in Holland to not let Brunner go over so little...in which case, what can I say?

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

If you could pot in between 20-30 goals with 20-30 assists would you sign for 2.5 million? Thats a ******** lowball offer. Can't blame him if he goes but we need him so that we can roll 3 scoring lines.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Nevermind, I thought alConn was talking about $8million per year. My bad.

Yeah, 2.5 million for a potential 30 goalscorer, I'm ok with that. :D

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
he doesn't play D , we can't use him for ppk, Tatar should grab his spot

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
he doesn't play D , we can't use him for ppk, Tatar should grab his spot

You don't replace Filppula, Cleary, Brunner just by adding Tatar. The two former aren't that desirable though so give me Brunner.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You don't replace Filppula, Cleary, Brunner just by adding Tatar. The two former aren't that desirable though so give me Brunner.

Filppula => Nyquist
Cleary => Tatar
Brunner => Healthy Sammy! :yo: (Sammy fits perfect for that Brunner's point play position, what a shot he has)

You can let all of them walk!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With the news Vinny isn't coming to Detroit, I now think we'll end up with Brunner still on the team. Not sure what else the money would be used for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->