Will Brunner be back?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm starting to get a bad feeling that he won't be. We already know that the two sides aren't in agreement on money or years because of the season's sample size. The big concern I have is that some underachieving teams might be willing to shoot him 4 mil x 2 years to give him a chance.

I think if we see Cleary signed, it might be because Brunner won't be. The whole forward line jumble is only a vicious one if Brunner is coming back. If Brunner and Fil are gone, that puts the Miller signing in a lot clearer context and seems much more of a sensible thing. There would be plenty of room for Nyquist and Tatar.

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Franzen
Somebody-Zetterberg-Cleary
Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist
Miller-Helm-Eaves

Extra: Tootoo, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Emmerton.

Not nearly as much of a problem. Well, except on LW for Zetterberg's line...

But if Helm isn't healthy at the beginning of the season, you don't have to make any moves. If you make a move to address the LW situation, you only have to get rid of one forward. If Helm is healthy, it's two moves. If those two moves are buying out Samuelsson and Bertuzzi, it doesn't seem like there's much to complain about.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I think if Brunner leaves, it's because someone offers him stupid money (a la Buffalo and Ville Leino). Otherwise, I see him as being back and a couple of bottom six forwards like Emmerton being kicked to the curb.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think if Brunner leaves, it's because someone offers him stupid money (a la Buffalo and Ville Leino). Otherwise, I see him as being back and a couple of bottom six forwards like Emmerton being kicked to the curb.

Emmerton's situation depends on Helm (or a center UFA signing). Not Brunner.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
They've got organizational depth up front...if I can consider Filppula replaceable, I'd say the same for Brunnose. As much as he was a pleasant surprise, there's just too many guys in this organization. The extra veterans probably do him in moreso than the guys in the pipeline. Unless Kenny unloads Sammy and Bert as well as letting Cleary and Flip walk...there's no room for a guy like Brunner if they still want to keep Tatar open as an option.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
You can't let Filppula AND Brunner go. This team had trouble scoring goals at times as it is. Unless we're going to depend on Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson to pick up that slack and more :laugh:

I swear, this offseason is going to be more frustrating than last offseason... and for all the wrong reasons.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think Brunner will be back. For what it will likely take to sign him, we'd probably have to spend at least another million to replace him from the UFA market.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think Brunner will be back. For what it will likely take to sign him, we'd probably have to spend at least another million to replace him from the UFA market.

Yep. If we can't keep him for 3 million, we have to go after someone like Ryder for 4 million. And he's older, past his prime. Brunner is entering in his prime. Brunner is better deal even if you overpay for him believeing in his rising potential.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
if someone isnt bought out between june 22nd and july 4th i dont think we just decide in mid sept to waive "a couple of players"

i think if we dont do it when everyone else is likely to (2 days after the SC is won and before the draft) its because we dont want to and should everyone be back and healthy come mid-sept(helm, bert, sammy), a lousy desperation trade will take place to get in under the roster limits(sammy or bert for a late rd pick) and the best chances of improving our team from outside the organization will have evaporated(top ufas and buyout players will be scopped up by mid july)

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
Possibly, The Swiss league is offering him a good contract to come back. But im sure the wings will sign him.

If they don't they will be in the bottom 5 of last place next season.

Thats only if they lose flippula, cleary,White.

*If they re-sign brunner,Flippula, and couple of good 3rd/4th liners, like stalberg,Bickell,Clowe. They will be a top 5 team.

Aug 6, 2012
Don't understand why we're afraid of overpaying Brunner a little for a few years when it doesn't look like the cap will be a problem for us in the coming years.

crashman

I'm way more concerned with overpaying Brunner than losing him. I honestly think Nyquist or Tatar could step in and equal his production (or come close to), while also playing a more complete game overall. Not trying to knock Brunner, but I just don't view him as a crucial piece with the prospects we have in the pipeline. I love that he's not afraid to shoot, but he had the pleasure of being instantly inserted onto a top line with some pretty special players. If you do the same with Nyquist or Tatar, I think you get similar results.

I think the Wings need to focus on bringing in a big top-6 forward, or one that's capable of playing physical and potting around 30 goals. Brunner might be able to pot 30, but he's a very one dimensional forward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm way more concerned with overpaying Brunner than losing him. I honestly think Nyquist or Tatar could step in and equal his production (or come close to), while also playing a more complete game overall. Not trying to knock Brunner, but I just don't view him as a crucial piece with the prospects we have in the pipeline. I love that he's not afraid to shoot, but he had the pleasure of being instantly inserted onto a top line with some pretty special players. If you do the same with Nyquist or Tatar, I think you get similar results.

If Tatar steps in for Brunner then who steps in for Tatar? It's better to have all 3 of them (Brunner, Nyquist, Tatar) so that you have scoring depth and a better talent level. We should keep him, right-handed goal scorers that can skate aren't that easy to come by, and he's only 27.

If you bump Nyquist and Tatar into a top line you lose scoring on your 3rd line. Your reasoning is OK but overall scoring depth is important. When we were good and winning cups we were rolling 3 scoring lines and getting scoring from all over the lineup. So I don't really support your proposition.

I want as much talent in our top 9 as possible.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the Wings need to focus on bringing in a big top-6 forward, or one that's capable of playing physical and potting around 30 goals. Brunner might be able to pot 30, but he's a very one dimensional forward.

Who fits that bill?

Ryder is pretty much an older version of Brunner with a better shot I would say. But he's very much one dimensional.

Clarkson doesn't have a high skill level, but he scores some gritty goals and is physical. He's going to get overpaid for what he has produced to date though.

Horton is big and brings goal-scoring and size. But he has an injury history and is probably going to get overpaid by quite a bit.

So when you look at the big picture, bringing back Brunner seems like a pretty good option, even if you have to pay more than you would like. We have very good defensive centers so I don't think him being one dimensional is that much of an issue, and his defense improved pretty drastically over the course of the season. He likes to shoot, has a good shot, and can skate well. Plus he's a righty. Seems like a good fit, just needs to work on his conditioning for the course of the season and he should be fine and put up good numbers. Needs to shorten his shooting motion a little in my opinion as well, but that's just me nitpicking.

Aug 6, 2012

So why not keep them all and have three players who you can play up and down the lineup and be effective? Just last off season we would've killed for a 25 goal right-handed sniper, but now some don't want to pay $4M when he even has a good chance of being a 30 goalscorer.

Brunner was noticeably stronger on the puck and around the boards need the end of the year. No he wasn't phenomenal but it was serviceable. Why do you think our third line had so much offensive zone time? Because all three players had the ability to win board battles and Nose and Gus were shifty as hell. Not to mention Brunner is a smart kid who adapted to a lot over the crazy amount of games he played. He worked his ass off every shift and he back-checked harder than most of the Wings.

Last I would hate to have to change my username.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I may go insane if I have to watch a full season of both Cleary and Abdelkader in the top six, though if Cleary can play like he did in the playoffs then I would be fine, but I think it's pretty unlikely he plays like that over a full season.

If he will sign for 3-3.5m I think Brunner should be brought back, he should only get better as he adjusts to the NHL more, and we need people who can and will shoot the puck.

crashman

Who fits that bill?

Jerome Iginla or Dustin Penner...but I understand we can't expect Holland to go out and pick up the most talented UFA forward available (Iggy), but there is a few good players out there.

I really don't think the Wings are going to be a playoff team next year if we ice pretty much the same offense as this season. Brunner was a nice surprise and I do hope he comes back, but I'd rather see them go out and sign a top-6 forward with size and/or grit than watch Justin Abdelkader as a top 6 forward next season.

Paying Brunner anything near $3m limits their options going forward, and we already have a couple players similar to him but with more upside in Tatar and Nyquist.

Maybe I'm just paranoid that we'll be stuck with another Leino, he looked very promising at first then totally fell off a cliff.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Jerome Iginla or Dustin Penner...but I understand we can't expect Holland to go out and pick up the most talented UFA forward available (Iggy), but there is a few good players out there.

I really don't think the Wings are going to be a playoff team next year if we ice pretty much the same offense as this season. Brunner was a nice surprise and I do hope he comes back, but I'd rather see them go out and sign a top-6 forward with size and/or grit than watch Justin Abdelkader as a top 6 forward next season.

Paying Brunner anything near $3m limits their options going forward, and we already have a couple players similar to him but with more upside in Tatar and Nyquist.

Maybe I'm just paranoid that we'll be stuck with another Leino, he looked very promising at first then totally fell off a cliff.

untill he is more productive then everyone not named cleary and zetterberg when it mattered most?

crashman

So why not keep them all and have three players who you can play up and down the lineup and be effective? Just last off season we would've killed for a 25 goal right-handed sniper, but now some don't want to pay $4M when he even has a good chance of being a 30 goalscorer.

Sorry, but the idea of paying Brunner $4m is totally absurd. The sample size is WAY too small to make that kind of commitment. I don't care if he scored 30+ goals.

Because the reality is that he was a healthy scratch for game or 2 and was demoted to the 3rd line in this shortened season. Not to mention he had the benefit of being INSTANTLY inserted into the top 6 alongside Z, AFTER having the chance to form some chemistry in the Swiss league.

I really don't think my skepticism about Brunner is that unjustified.

crashman

untill he is more productive then everyone not named cleary and zetterberg when it mattered most?

Lets see him do it in a full NHL season then. Leino lit it up in the playoffs once too.

Brunner has never had to endure the punishment of the NHL night in-night out like most of these guys, it really might prove to be too much for him at some point. It's happened to MANY talented European players before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky
Sorry, but the idea of paying Brunner $4m is totally absurd. The sample size is WAY too small to make that kind of commitment. I don't care if he scored 30+ goals.

Because the reality is that he was a healthy scratch for game or 2 and was demoted to the 3rd line in this shortened season. Not to mention he had the benefit of being INSTANTLY inserted into the top 6 alongside Z, AFTER having the chance to form some chemistry in the Swiss league.

Totally agree, it would be absurd. They wouldn't pay Hudler that money last year but this year they're going to turn around and give it to a lesser player player with a half NHL season under his belt that they don't have a decade invested in? I don't see it happening.

I'd bet a lot of money Brunner is closer to 20 goals then 30 next year.

Aug 6, 2012

What about the fact that he was one of the leading scorers in the playoffs and helped fuel our most dominant line?

We have to take some chances if this team wants to get anywhere. The Wings need to overpay once in a while if it means we can ice a better roster. You aren't going to go anywhere relying on bargain deals, which seems to be KH's mentality since the Hossa signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad