Will Brunner be back?

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
The Swiss league will be offering Brunner back, If Detroit wants to match it then he will stay.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Where is this 4 year, $10MM coming from? Is this speculation or based on credible sources? I can't believe Detroit wouldn't do that deal.

Define credible? Hellen St James said (yesterday I think) that he could be had for $2.5 a year.

Prior to that EVERYTHING I'd read said that the Wings wanted 2-2.5 a year and Brunner wanted more.

I have to be honest; I trust Khan, I trust Malik, I do not trust Hellen St James.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130626/SPORTS05/306260029/1053/sports05?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
I have to be honest; I trust Khan, I trust Malik, I do not trust Hellen St James.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you there.

$2.5MM is a Wings number, ideally 2-3 years. I'm sure Brunner is starting out around $4MM, 4+ years. I'd give him the years if he took the $2.5MM.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I'm pretty much in agreement with you there.

$2.5MM is a Wings number, ideally 2-3 years. I'm sure Brunner is starting out around $4MM, 4+ years. I'd give him the years if he took the $2.5MM.

My thinking has always been that Detroit wouldn't go past 3.5 for 3; but it's pretty much entirely my best guess based on what I think I know about Holland.

The guy surprises at times. I do feel like SOMEONE out there might give Brunner 4 and 4; someone like the bloody Maple Leafs for example.

RedWingsNow*

Well this is a problem that must be fixed.
You trust Malik? A blogger with no access? A blind, drooling homer who admits he's a blind, drooling homer?

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Well this is a problem that must be fixed.
You trust Malik? A blogger with no access? A blind, drooling homer who admits he's a blind, drooling homer?

You know, what I really like about Malik is that he's very clear about when he's expressing his opinion and when he's talking about facts. He provides links to his sources and when he just doesn't know, he doesn't stand on the mountain top pontificating about what's "obvious." He just says I dunno.

Sorta like the exact opposite of when you and I talk no?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
All Malik does is quote/link something from Khan, St. James, etc and than add his personal opinions on it.

He's not someone to trust. He's not much more than a glorified homer HF poster. I don't think he has many, if any, sources.

RedWingsNow*

You know, what I really like about Malik is that he's very clear about when he's expressing his opinion and when he's talking about facts. He provides links to his sources and when he just doesn't know, he doesn't stand on the mountain top pontificating about what's "obvious." He just says I dunno.

Sorta like the exact opposite of when you and I talk no?

Right, like when he throws Riley Sheahan and Brendan Smith under the bus for underage drinking and them forever holds a grudge against them?

Or his ridiculous "scouting reports" from Traverse City where every single prospect is "amazing" -- except for the drunks, who need to work harder?

Malik is where you go if you want to see the same interview posted beyond any reasonable copyright standard, posted from 5 different beat reporters, or where you go if you want to get the latest installment Malik's Camelot tale, told through a Red Wings prism.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I know Brunners Agent was saying that he and Holland are going to talk some more during the draft and hopefully end this stalemate he says that Brunner loves Detroit and wants to play there for awhile looks like he wants at least a 2 or 3 year deal. We should'nt let him walk Holland needs to find some commom ground here.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The Swiss league will be offering Brunner back, If Detroit wants to match it then he will stay.

With all due respect to the NLA, I cannot imagine that any Swiss team will be involved in a bidding war by offering Brunner a salary in near to $ 2m per year. Even if you factor in the lower tax rates and stronger currency Switzerland has, Brunner will have to stay in the NHL in order to earn the most money. Since the Swiss national bank has already devalued the Swiss franc after it gained to much against the US dollar and Euro, Brunner can even more easily focus on his potential NHL offers - which I presume to be in excess of $ 3m AAV for at least three years, if he becomes an UFA.

Gruß,
BSHH

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Going to agree with the other people here. Malik has some serious problems. I still read his stuff occasionally, but he is rarely a guy I trust outright.

Some of his coverage of prospects is hilarious. Like here is a good one, he doesn't like the prospects that chew tobacco, he just doesn't. That is a stupid reason for me to hear something about Ferraro each year, why that insight, I don't care at all if he does or does not do that. First thing he wrote about McKee was about his size and this habit.

I also think his investment in them clouds the reports. I mean how else can you explain Coetzee's treatment in his blog. His Lashoff love used to floor me, really still does, his ceiling (and really for Malik it is where he is going to be) for the guy is still top 4.:laugh:

He is getting some traction where they at least talk to him a little now, but Malik isn't going to hit them with hard questions or huge insight. He knows his card and credentials are at stake. Unfortunately that is just how the Wings role, when St. James and Ansar don't want to be critical you know a guy like him is going to stay in the weeds.

To each their own, enjoy what you enjoy to read. But almost all the facts in his column are quoted from another media type and I have trouble following a ton of his logic and no problem seeing his bias.

Edit: As RWN pointed out the drinking thing is right up there with tobacco, just don't get why he cares so much.

It is hard to start your own blog and get to where he has got. I appreciate his dedication but he still has severe limitations. If we gave RWN his press passes for a day he would never get them back, but I would love to watch those questions just one time. And I know we disagree all the time around here, but it would be fun to see the responses.

Last edited:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Okay, approaching trainwreck now no? : When I graduate from rookie user you can petition someone to replace that title with "George Malik Slappy".

That doesn't change the important part of my original point; where the hell is St James getting 2.5 from? If Brunner was prepared to sign for that wouldn't we already be talking about how awesome the press conference was?

Also, re links from elsewhere: Actually, I appreciate that and as a writer don't understand the problem. I never said Malik broke stories, I said I trusted information I got from him. This may shock you but sometimes I prefer to get my news all in one lump/at one place rather than refreshing constantly to find the latest breaking snippet on MLive.

Either way, I don't think my personal opinion of George Malik's writing has any bearing on us resigning Brunner.

PS: I would also rather our prospects not drink, but as long as we keep drafting Canadians that's likely not gonna ever happen :)

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
That doesn't change the important part of my original point; where the hell is St James getting 2.5 from? If Brunner was prepared to sign for that wouldn't we already be talking about how awesome the press conference was?

This is really the only relevant point, not sure why we are getting diverted so far off topic. Is there anyone that wouldn't take Brunner for $2.5MM? That's why I don't believe that number is anything except what the Red Wings "want".

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
As a there is something wrong with me moment, not that you didn't all already know that. When I read Malik it comes in Art Regner's voice in my head for some reason.

It will be interesting to see some of the reports next year, Nill going out of that office is going to have some impact. In fact as much as I like Ansar, I have always thought that was one of his biggest ins in terms of a guy you could tell talked to him a lot.

I think Brunner's camp wants 3, Holland wants a lower number.

Give him 2.75 X 4. Would be a real steal contract.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I can't understand why it shouldn't be 1 year 3 mio or 2.5 ?

Brunner will have more value in the future. He knows it. He played very little in terms of games in the NHL. He already improved. But not enough to offer a guaranteed scorer to Holland.

He should give a 1 yr at lower price ...
he scores 35-45 next year, ends up best scorer or 2nd and in the top 5 in points ... the discussion is different. Then, Holland can also offer more knowing he is paying for sure value.

win win situation.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Brunner will have more value in the future. He knows it. He played very little in terms of games in the NHL. He already improved. But not enough to offer a guaranteed scorer to Holland.

he scores 35-45 next year, ends up best scorer or 2nd and in the top 5 in points ... the discussion is different. Then, Holland can also offer more knowing he is paying for sure value.

win win situation.

Same reason most players get signed to multi-year deals. The player wants stability while he can, the team wants to pay under market value as a tradeoff.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Same reason most players get signed to multi-year deals. The player wants stability while he can, the team wants to pay under market value as a tradeoff.

Sure.

But Brunner only played some games in NHL. His progression has been good.

But he doesn't get the credit he could have if he had a full year of reliable service at 35 goals. 2nd or 3rd best scorer and best post season scorer.
Instead, he had a shortened season ... where he played more than the others (NLA + NHL) ... was absent 1/3 of the time (no goals or physical absence). Was not used nor prepared to such a rythme (games/day)

Resulting into Holland not giving him a deal at 4 mio (which is what he should be earning when he will be fully NHL adjusted).

++

NLA will never compete with NHL salaries. Other NHL teams will, and this is probably what is presently creating the trouble. He may have offers on the table for 3.5/year X/yrs. He was highly chased by teams before coming to the Red Wings.

Again, i feel he should take a 1yr 2.75 with the Red Wings (that he obviously likes ... according to what you can read and what is being said) and then deal for a longer term according to a proven level.

My 2cts view.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Again, i feel he should take a 1yr 2.75 with the Red Wings (that he obviously likes ... according to what you can read and what is being said) and then deal for a longer term according to a proven level.

My 2cts view.

He'd also be one season away from a much smaller deal if he bombs a bit. A short term deal at that price level works really well for us, but I can understand entirely if he wants a longer term and more security. Where it hurts is him apparently wanting term and a higher salary.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg

win win situation.
If I were Brunner, I would seize the opportunity he has right now. He will certainly be offered a $ 9m, three-year contract, which will give him economical independence for the rest of his life. Even if he emerges into a top 30-scorer (which I doubt, by the way), he might have missed out on additonal net income of $ 3m - not too much in comparison.

Gruß,
BSHH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It looks like the Brunner-process will be a special case. Something like, he will hit the free agency, gets offers, and that decides his market value.

Still, if Holland matches the highest outside offer, he will sign with the Wings. He likes it here.

In a large UFA market with a dropping cap, his price very probably won't skyrocket anywhere.

We will get him for that ~3 million, I think. Term is hard to predict. 4 years would be ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->