Will Brunner be back?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
See...this **** is insane.

56 total NHL games played and a little over .6 pts per game along side some of the best players in the world. There's no way in hell this guy deserves anything in the ballpark of 4.5 million and 4 years.

I'd honestly side with eva unit zero on keeping Hudler for whatever ridiculous amount he said Hudler deserved than pay anything near that for Brunner. The dude could still completely fail as an NHL player.

edit: excuse me if you mean $4.5m OVER 4 years, that's not realistic but I wouldn't complain. ;)

Why are you acting like .6 ppg is bad? That's about what Franzen's career average is and he gets paid 4 million a year. Have to remember that people that score more goals than assists (Franzen, Brunner) typically are worth more money.

.6 ppg over an entire 82 game season is 50 pts. Only 100 players did that during the last full season. Guys who scored between 50-55 pts that season equivalent to .6 ppg that season were:

50- Hudler, Doan, Ladd
51- Grabovski, Fisher
52- Plekanec, Burrows
53- Statsny, Heatley
^^^^
Those guys all currently make 4 million or more and put up .6 ppg, so it's not like it is far-fetched.

Also Brunner only spent like the first chunk of the season with Dats and Z then he went down the 3rd line.

The guy produced pretty well this year and while I don't feel comfortable giving him 4 million or something like that, he definitely deserves between 2.75-3.5 million IMO.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I really hope he would be cool with a 2 year 7 million deal. I don't think it is too much and if he continues listening and improving on his game like he did this year he will be a bargain deal at the end of it.

Then he would be 29 (at the deals end) and be able to command a 4-7 yr 5+million deal.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yeah I'm fine with fil walking but not with brunner going as well. Also the "top fa forwards" of this year would not suprise me in the least to get minimum 5.5 million+ and way too long terms for their body types.

Horton is the only one I would be interested in but I believe unless he resigns with Boston he will command 6+ mil per year and no way in hell would I want to pay him that much.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah I'm fine with fil walking but not with brunner going as well. Also the "top fa forwards" of this year would not suprise me in the least to get minimum 5.5 million+ and way too long terms for their body types.

Horton is the only one I would be interested in but I believe unless he resigns with Boston he will command 6+ mil per year and no way in hell would I want to pay him that much.

Yep i agree if Horton does hit the market he will easilly command $6+million especially if Boston should win the cup.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
Brunner has some soft hands, not afraid to get into the nitty areas. His glaring weakness is his defense, but that's something that can be improved. He has a lot of natural talent. Would love to have him back.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
His glaring weakness is his weakness. Good player but incredibly soft.

What is your definition of soft? I think Brunner was surprisingly resilient, I don't really care if he ever has a hit in a game, he seemed to track the puck, go to the hard areas and play through injuries. I think he had a pretty banged up shoulder or leg all through the Chicago series where he still was the Wings point leader.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What is your definition of soft? I think Brunner was surprisingly resilient, I don't really care if he ever has a hit in a game, he seemed to track the puck, go to the hard areas and play through injuries. I think he had a pretty banged up shoulder or leg all through the Chicago series where he still was the Wings point leader.

to be fair, saying you dont want an NHL player to hit is the same as saying you dont want an NHL player to shoot or to pass or to skate or to backcheck as hitting is as much a part and is as important to the game of hockey as all those other aspects are

brunner DOSENT have to be lucic but he HAS to not be afraid of him and be willing to bump him to get the puck,

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
My thing is, while he went to the hard areas, he wasn't very useful there. If the puck went to the corner and there was already a defenseman there, there was nothing Brunner could do. He couldn't win the physical battle and he couldn't lift sticks/poke it away. If Brunner didn't have the speed advantage, there was no play. I found it a little frustrating compared to Nyquist, who had more success along the boards (but still needs a ton of work as well).

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
His glaring weakness is his weakness. Good player but incredibly soft.

correct. Yes, he put up stats. But in this case, stats are deceptive. How many turnovers wasted shots into dmens shin pads did this guy make. In Europe he skated with the puck more, here he never found the confidence, looked a little scared. If you need a reminder go back to the Ducks series when Getzlaf picked him clean shorthanded and made him pay dearly. Near the end it was if they told him - just shoot everything or dump in, no skating the puck for you... Loses almost all battles in the corners ect...

That being said, he wasn't completely useless, he surprised with some random goals but I wouldn't give him more than 2mill a year. Comparing to Grabo is laughable. Grabo is versatile in any role (this year shutdown center, past years 20-30 goal scorer) and a warrior tough as nails (guy said he enjoys getting hit by Chara and 2 seasons ago scored one of goals of year after he got belted by Chara twice and was later said to be concussed in that game). So the other guys that keep bringing up numbers, throw them out the window - they mean nothing here.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
correct. Yes, he put up stats. But in this case, stats are deceptive. How many turnovers wasted shots into dmens shin pads did this guy make. In Europe he skated with the puck more, here he never found the confidence, looked a little scared. If you need a reminder go back to the Ducks series when Getzlaf picked him clean shorthanded and made him pay dearly. Near the end it was if they told him - just shoot everything or dump in, no skating the puck for you... Loses almost all battles in the corners ect...

That being said, he wasn't completely useless, he surprised with some random goals but I wouldn't give him more than 2mill a year. Comparing to Grabo is laughable. Grabo is versatile in any role (this year shutdown center, past years 20-30 goal scorer) and a warrior tough as nails (guy said he enjoys getting hit by Chara and 2 seasons ago scored one of goals of year after he got belted by Chara twice and was later said to be concussed in that game). So the other guys that keep bringing up numbers, throw them out the window - they mean nothing here.

If Holland was set at your limit at 2m for Brunner, this team will never get any FAs to come here. The market for young(ish) producers like Brunner is the 3m range.

crashman

Why are you acting like .6 ppg is bad? That's about what Franzen's career average is and he gets paid 4 million a year. Have to remember that people that score more goals than assists (Franzen, Brunner) typically are worth more money.

.6 ppg over an entire 82 game season is 50 pts. Only 100 players did that during the last full season. Guys who scored between 50-55 pts that season equivalent to .6 ppg that season were:

50- Hudler, Doan, Ladd
51- Grabovski, Fisher
52- Plekanec, Burrows
53- Statsny, Heatley
^^^^
Those guys all currently make 4 million or more and put up .6 ppg, so it's not like it is far-fetched.

Also Brunner only spent like the first chunk of the season with Dats and Z then he went down the 3rd line.

The guy produced pretty well this year and while I don't feel comfortable giving him 4 million or something like that, he definitely deserves between 2.75-3.5 million IMO.

It's not bad, but it was a shortened season and my concerns are if he cut out for the grind of a full season in the NHL. Everyone of those guy you mentioned have a track record that extends at least a few years back.

He also had a head start beginning the season with Zetterberg in the Swiss league.

My concern with Brunner is that he's exactly the type of player that could disappear completely. He has 1 dimension to his game, scoring. If he's not doing that, he's useless. It's the same reason I was happy to see Holland let Hudler go. I don't want to see Brunner make Hudler money when he's less proven than Huds was.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
3.25 mil a year for 2 or 3 years....anything more, let him walk...anything less, well thank you #24

Carry on...

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Hoenstly, now that Datsyuk is signed. Don't really care if Brunner stays or goes. In my mind, he has yet to show or earn the contract he will probably demand.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Would rather keep him than Filppula. I wouldnt be pissed about Brunner for a couple years at 4 million or 3 at 10. Hes a trigger guy and one of only 2 (Franzen) the wings have that is shoot first. He also gives speed that the lineup lacks

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Might as well have kept Hudler if they are gonna offer Brunner more than $3m, and I was happy to see Huds go.

Hudler is a significantly better player than Brunner. He can play the same shooter role Brunner does, or he can be the playmaker. Or he can play the "Holmstrom" role. He can play all three forward positions, and any spot on the PP. He forchecks well, and he's a capable though not stellar defender.

Brunner is a faster skater, but is significantly weaker than Hudler in EVERY other area except for having a comparable wrist shot.

Giving Brunner more than $3.5m is ridiculous.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's not bad, but it was a shortened season and my concerns are if he cut out for the grind of a full season in the NHL. Everyone of those guy you mentioned have a track record that extends at least a few years back.

He also had a head start beginning the season with Zetterberg in the Swiss league.

My concern with Brunner is that he's exactly the type of player that could disappear completely. He has 1 dimension to his game, scoring. If he's not doing that, he's useless. It's the same reason I was happy to see Holland let Hudler go. I don't want to see Brunner make Hudler money when he's less proven than Huds was.

I agree that it is absolutely a small sample size, and the players I listed are more proven commodities. But there's also a chance that you can get him for 3 to 3.5 and then he will outproduce that contract. He is still pretty much an unknown in terms of how he will produce over 82 games, they are just going to have to make a judgement call. I think he could put up 25-25 pretty consistently if his conditioning improves.

crashman

Hudler is a significantly better player than Brunner. He can play the same shooter role Brunner does, or he can be the playmaker. Or he can play the "Holmstrom" role. He can play all three forward positions, and any spot on the PP. He forchecks well, and he's a capable though not stellar defender.

Brunner is a faster skater, but is significantly weaker than Hudler in EVERY other area except for having a comparable wrist shot.

Giving Brunner more than $3.5m is ridiculous.

:laugh:

If everyone suddenly admitted that Holland made a huge mistake by not re-signing Hudler, would you still have any interest in posting here? Or would your job be complete?

I agree that it is absolutely a small sample size, and the players I listed are more proven commodities. But there's also a chance that you can get him for 3 to 3.5 and then he will outproduce that contract. He is still pretty much an unknown in terms of how he will produce over 82 games, they are just going to have to make a judgement call. I think he could put up 25-25 pretty consistently if his conditioning improves.

I agree, but I'd like to see Holland explore other options before making a multi-year commitment to Brunner. Ideally, Brunner would sign another 1 year deal, but I doubt he has any interest in that...and I don't blame him.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
They really can't afford to lose him, he could make a ton of money on the open market, and he is fully aware of both of these facts. This could get ugly.

crashman

They really can't afford to lose him, he could make a ton of money on the open market, and he is fully aware of both of these facts. This could get ugly.

I disagree. I think they could easily afford to lose him with both Tatar and Nyquist being in the line up full-time, the return of Helm, Bertuzzi or if they choose to acquire a top-6 forward.

...and that's not even taking the re-signing of Filppula into consideration.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I disagree. I think they could easily afford to lose him with both Tatar and Nyquist being in the line up full-time, the return of Helm, Bertuzzi or if they choose to acquire a top-6 forward.

...and that's not even taking the re-signing of Filppula into consideration.

Flip isn't worth re-signing and he's among the better free agents in this year's forward crop. There's no help coming from the UFA market. One more reason why it's crucial that they get Brunner signed to a reasonable deal before July 5th.

It's important for him as well - the worst thing for his NHL career is to sign a Leino deal and end up crapping out the same way Ville has. He likes it here, he fits in well, and there is enough talent in the organization to keep them competitive.

Hopefully the Wings don't try to lowball him and he doesn't get focused on the dollar signs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad