Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Guhle-Risto
Scandella-Borgen
Nelson-Antipin
McCabe

Is how I would run out the current group. Which is meh right now but should be a solid unit a couple years down the road

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
RD was a huge need organizationally. Even if Borgen doesn't pan out, it was important to get him signed.

Reactions: Djp

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I said to a friend a few weeks ago I thought signing Borgen was the biggest deal of the rest of the regular season for us.

Just because of how bad our NHL D is and how bad our D pipeline is. Any young defenseman with potential is a huge get.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Glad they got him signed. I like his odds to pan out as a Mike Weber type player.

So not pan out then?

Just because someone played defense in this organization in the last decade doesn’t make them a legit nhl player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How does Borgen compare to McCabe at the same age Just curious ..

Both played in the U20's the season after being selected. McCabe turned pro at the end of his D+2, this is the end of Borgen's D+3. McCabe was always toolsie but the inconsistency of his regular season play in Buffalo is akin to what he did in Wisconsin: there are those times one is left wanting more. Borgen I've never had that thought about. He may not have as well rounded a tool set as McCabe at the same age, but he gets more out of what he uses. He also seems much more sure of what he's doing, he doesn't seem to have many moments of being mesmerized by the puck. Drawing age parallels, McCabe's season at the same age was 57 AHL games and 2 in Buffalo compared to Borgen's junior season with St. Cloud.

I'm interested to see how Borgen adjusts to the pro game and if they give him the time next season to get in the reps to round into the player he could be.

Reactions: dasaybz

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So not pan out then?

Just because someone played defense in this organization in the last decade doesn’t make them a legit nhl player.
Mike Weber played 350 NHL games. That's being a "legit NHL player" by most definitions. Borgen was drafted in the 4th round. To get 350 games out of a 4th round pick is pretty exceptional. If Borgen has the career Weber had, steady but unspectacular 3rd pairing D for several seasons, I'll be thrilled. Anyone expecting more is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Mike Weber played 350 NHL games. That's being a "legit NHL player" by most definitions. Borgen was drafted in the 4th round. To get 350 games out of a 4th round pick is pretty exceptional. If Borgen has the career Weber had, steady but unspectacular 3rd pairing D for several seasons, I'll be thrilled. Anyone expecting more is just setting themselves up for disappointment.
Count Bakes as setting himself up then:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Borgen has been one of my faves since that first development camp. I think he’s legit.

Side note: I still kind of hate that dev camp is downtown. I miss bailing out of work, driving up to Niagara to watch Nathan Gerbe shred the cones.

Back to topic: Borgen is way more skilled than you expect him to be. I think he’s top 4 as early as next season.

Reactions: cybresabre

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

He played them HERE. Where there hasn’t been 4 nhl quality d men at the same time let alone 6 in so long it isn’t funny.

There’s a reason he’s out of the league at 30.

He was a terrible player and the whole league figured it out.

You could have played at least 200 games as a Sabres defenseman during Mike Weber’s career here.

If he was drafted anywhere else he’s an AHL Lifer. He hit the jackpot of the one organization that couldn’t find a decent D to save it’s life for years.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

You're right, but that was three years ago. Borgen's stock has risen quite a bit since he was drafted. I'm not ready to pencil him into our long term top four just yet, but it would be a little underwhelming at this point for him only to turn into a Mike Weber.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
You're right, but that was three years ago. Borgen's stock has risen quite a bit since he was drafted. I'm not ready to pencil him into our long term top four just yet, but it would be a little underwhelming at this point for him only to turn into a Mike Weber.
If he’s pushed to the bottom pair due to an addition to Risto, Scandella and Guhle I think we’ll all be happy

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Mike Weber should've never played 350 games.

A 'mobile Mike Weber' gave me nightmares last night. Thanks

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I said before, but I think if Buffalo develops him properly you have a chance to get a Josh Manson type of rock solid defender who can make a first pass and play physical.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad