Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Again this speaks incredibly well of Borgen to not demand to burn the year. He gets a better development path for the rest of this season and the Sabres have him on a full ELC starting next season. He held too many cards for me to believe he couldn’t have gotten the year burned if he wanted it more than the better development.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
In all seriousness, how good of a prospect is WB? His label of defensive defenseman scares me a bit. Thanks Gorges.

Is he a solid skater, first pass, etc? What is realistic upside? 3rd pairing + PK?

Excited to have another young D on a contract.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
In all seriousness, how good of a prospect is WB? His label of defensive defenseman scares me a bit. Thanks Gorges.

Is he a solid skater, first pass, etc? What is realistic upside? 3rd pairing + PK?

I think if all goes well you could be looking at a Josh Manson type player.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

i'm not saying he's going to be this good because nobody knows, but think Hjalmarsson/Tanev type of defensive defenseman not Gorges/Russell. He's a good to great skater. Doesn't have high end skills but he's smart and nasty and can make a good outlet pass.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Have a hard time see MacWilliam coming out of the lineup
MacWilliam is the 7 on a healthy defense. Taylor seems to like Tennyson. It’s infuriating. He’s been awful. Borgen over Tennyson is what I’d do for the defense, provided he transitions to the AHL smoothly.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He eats minutes and plays in all the difficult situations. He can be a good one.

Reactions: Chainshot

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The 50 contract limit - do AHL only deals count against that? Like if we were to decide Eric Cornel is a good AHL player can we sign him to an AHL contract that doesn't count against the 50 contract limit? And let's say a player like that makes big progress, since he's on an AHL only deal can he still be called up to the Sabres?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The 50 contract limit - do AHL only deals count against that? Like if we were to decide Eric Cornel is a good AHL player can we sign him to an AHL contract that doesn't count against the 50 contract limit? And let's say a player like that makes big progress, since he's on an AHL only deal can he still be called up to the Sabres?

ATOs and AHL deals don't count.

I believe they need to sign a NHL contract to get called up.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
ATOs and AHL deals don't count

But like I said, if you have a player on an AHL deal and the guy is playing really well is there a way to call him up to the NHL club? if u have contract room can you convert the AHL deal into a 2 way NHL contract?

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
See my edit above. They would need to sign a NHL deal to get called up.

Best of both worlds scenario either way. He fizzles out in the AHL, no harm done.

He earns an NHL callup with his play, then you give him the NHL deal without the risk of potentially wasting one of the 50 contracts before he’s shown anything at the pro level.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
wow, he actually signed. I didn't think there was a chance in hell he would sign here seeing as what a dumpster fire the team is. That said we are desperate for defensemen, so he obviously sees an opportunity. Good job by Botterill getting this done.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
My understanding is, the ELC kicks in at the beginning of next season, so that would count toward the 50 at that point and he would be eligible for Call ups to Buffalo. But he can't play in Buffalo for the remainder of this season.

Plus, the Sabres won't have to protect him in the Seattle draft.

Now Botts needs to head down 94 and stop in and have a chat with Casey, it's right along the way to the airport after all...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My understanding is, the ELC kicks in at the beginning of next season, so that would count toward the 50 at that point and he would be eligible for Call ups to Buffalo. But he can't play in Buffalo for the remainder of this season.

Plus, the Sabres won't have to protect him in the Seattle draft.

Now Botts needs to head down 94 and stop in and have a chat with Casey, it's right along the way to the airport after all...

If he's coming up from Sioux Falls, maybe take 60 up to Mankato on the way to UM, get Brickley under contract too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad