Prospect Info: Will Borgen (2015, 92nd) – '17-18: Signed ELC, Reporting To Rochester

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
And anchor a pair where the other defender can roam.

It's nice to be able to get this kid signed...I always thought of him as a big future piece to the blueline but never really counted on him signing here. Him and Guhle are two guys who should help the back end for years, same draft too.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Very nice returning home to this news. In the on-going quest to shore up our very shallow defensive prospect pool, this is a great signing. There is no magic cure-all short of that one Swedish dude, but several incremental moves like this will make a big difference. Previous posters nailed his skill set, so I'll just say he's a solid prospect who should fill a nice role, and maybe sooner than expected.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Yikes, who knew my mike Weber comparison could engender such hate
At least we're a season away from finally settling the captain debate.

(Say one thing about Mike Weber and people will never let it go. You now share the Jame curse.)

Reactions: Buffaloed

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Weber was a decent player until he wasn't. This guy is probably another Scandella, but more physical.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I love all the positive things you guys are saying about him, but if he’s so likely to be a top 4 defenceman then why was he not voted higher on our prospect polls?

Like below Asplund, a guy projecting to be a 3C?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I love all the positive things you guys are saying about him, but if he’s so likely to be a top 4 defenceman then why was he not voted higher on our prospect polls?

We aren't impartial to the Sabres on HFBoards, we rate by favoritism.

Reactions: ende

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo

Personally I wasn’t counting on him remaining a Sabre so I wasn’t getting too excited

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wish we'd never brought Weber into the conversation. :biglaugh:

Immediacy always plays a factor in those polls. It's a bit Sysiphean - try to get people to notice a player and then try to keep the boulder of expectation from crushing viewpoints on the guy. :biglaugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He has the potential to be a mobile physical 2nd pairing dman.

As for where he falls in the prospect rankings. There a bunch of factors posters use to evaluate prospects. Posters may value the all around game Asplund can bring and the likelihood he gets to his potential more. Borgen’s upside doesn’t come with much offense. So he may be looked at as a lesser prospect in comparison. Even though he has top 4 potential

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
This thread needs some pumped breaks. He's a defensive defensemen at the college level.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

.... :badidea: because you want your defensive defenseman NOT talked about...;)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just to point out that the scout who turned him up is also one of the guys they sent backing last year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Just to point out that the scout who turned him up is also one of the guys they sent backing last year.

I'll always remember being at the draft that year.... I was sitting ~30 feet from the Sabres table. Chicago had the 91st pick (last pick of the 3rd round). They selected Dennis Gilbert. As the selection was announced, Murray and 2-3 other guys at the table through their arms up in the air, totally exasperated. That was their guy.... Dennis Gilbert. As the shock wore off, the scramble began. The table was the most active it would be at any point during the 2 days I was there.... finally, they had their pick.... Will Borgen.

Thanks Chicago!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll always remember being at the draft that year.... I was sitting ~30 feet from the Sabres table. Chicago had the 91st pick (last pick of the 3rd round). They selected Dennis Gilbert. As the selection was announced, Murray and 2-3 other guys at the table through their arms up in the air, totally exasperated. That was their guy.... Dennis Gilbert. As the shock wore off, the scramble began. The table was the most active it would be at any point during the 2 days I was there.... finally, they had their pick.... Will Borgen.

Thanks Chicago!

I remember one of the first drafts I went to, right after Muckler came on. They all gathered around, pointed at a list they had bound of old dot-matrix looking paper. Meehan was smiling and nodding. Luce was smiling and nodding. Ramsay, Carriere... all of them pointing at this name in a book. And Muckler looks at the four of them and shakes his head emphatically no. I think it was Jason Young but I may be mistaken... it's been a while.

I wonder if Gilbert was because of the local connection and the ease in observation.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He played them HERE. Where there hasn’t been 4 nhl quality d men at the same time let alone 6 in so long it isn’t funny.

There’s a reason he’s out of the league at 30.

He was a terrible player and the whole league figured it out.

You could have played at least 200 games as a Sabres defenseman during Mike Weber’s career here.

If he was drafted anywhere else he’s an AHL Lifer. He hit the jackpot of the one organization that couldn’t find a decent D to save it’s life for years.

Not a great post. WE can do better!

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I was voting for this guy ever since the fourth round of the last prospect poll. I was the line vote for a while

Show me wrong Borgen!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad