Will Auston Matthews break Rick Vaive's record this season?

Will Auston Matthews break Rick Vaive's record this season?

• Total voters

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I don't really consider it a "record" and I don't think Matthews will get past that number this year, or ever, should come somewhat close though.

I think it will be close but I think he will do it. Keefe called them out, so we'll see if they tuck tail or start battling in some games.

If he plays the rest of season, I think he's too explosive not to get 21g in 32 games. The next ten games will probably make or break his chances, because if hes close by year end, his teammates will probably feed him the puck like Jamie Benn's Art Ross win. I'm assuming they lock up a playoff spot by game 77. He's streaky, but we'll see.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It still surprises me a bit, but maybe I figured more who post on here are interested not just in the present, but the history of hockey as well. I mean, Steve Shutt was before my time, and while I couldn't really describe to you how he played or what his best strengths and weaknesses as a player are, I've at least heard of him and have a vague idea of the kind of totals he put up. I figured that would be the same for hockey fans who weren't born yet when Vaive played.

I just looked at the list of multiple 50+ goal scorers and there were a few names I'd never really looked at and I look at quite a bit of hockey history. Guys like Blaine Stoughton, Dennis Maruk, Charlie Simmer, Peirre Larouche, Danny Gare, Mickey Redmond, Stephan Richer. There's a pretty lengthy list of guys that did it 2 or 3 times that a lot of people have probably never heard of I mean I've looked at that list countless times and I just don't remember them because they aren't all that memorable to me.

50 goals for a short period of time really wasn't seen as such a massive hill to climb. Not like it was when guys first started doing it, or like it is today when there might be one or two guys doing it and 1 of them is pretty much always named Alex Ovechkin. Hard to gain prominence when you are among 8+ guys doing it in a given season and not doing it every season for an extended period of time.

For comparisons sake 50 goals then is pretty comparable to 35-40 in todays game. I bet in 40 years when people are glancing over the stats they'll go right past Cam Atkinson, Jeff Skinner, William Karlsson, Joe Pavelski, JVR, Sharp, Monahan and many more pretty easily without much thought about it. Especially if they aren't a part of their team or cities history or win any major awards.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Wouldn't it have just been more beneficial to all if you put in a little effort yourself, or stayed out of a topic that you were uninformed in? You said yourself that you don't care about the Leafs.

He's a fairly well-known historically relevant player that holds one of the most recognized records for the most followed and one of the longest standing franchises in the league. There doesn't always have to be a history lesson attached to discussions about significant hockey players on a hockey forum. It was answered on the first page anyway.
Wouldn’t it have been beneficial to all to not have you come into yet another thread talking about leaf hate immediately and detailing the thread again?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Wouldn’t it have been beneficial to all to not have you come into yet another thread talking about leaf hate immediately and detailing the thread again?
I did not come into the thread talking about Leaf hate immediately, and I have not derailed the thread. The discussion, that you were not a part of, is over. There is no reason for you to derail it again.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I just looked at the list of multiple 50+ goal scorers and there were a few names I'd never really looked at and I look at quite a bit of hockey history. Guys like Blaine Stoughton, Dennis Maruk, Charlie Simmer, Peirre Larouche, Danny Gare, Mickey Redmond, Stephan Richer. There's a pretty lengthy list of guys that did it 2 or 3 times that a lot of people have probably never heard of I mean I've looked at that list countless times and I just don't remember them because they aren't all that memorable to me.

50 goals for a short period of time really wasn't seen as such a massive hill to climb. Not like it was when guys first started doing it, or like it is today when there might be one or two guys doing it and 1 of them is pretty much always named Alex Ovechkin. Hard to gain prominence when you are among 8+ guys doing it in a given season and not doing it every season for an extended period of time.

For comparisons sake 50 goals then is pretty comparable to 35-40 in todays game. I bet in 40 years when people are glancing over the stats they'll go right past Cam Atkinson, Jeff Skinner, William Karlsson, Joe Pavelski, JVR, Sharp, Monahan and many more pretty easily without much thought about it. Especially if they aren't a part of their team or cities history or win any major awards.

There's actually only 14 players in league history with more 50 goal seasons than Vaive (not one of them you listed):

Gretzky
Bossy
Ovechkin
Lemieux
Lafleur
Dionne
Hull
Hull
Bure
Esposito
Yzerman
Kurri
Goulet
Kerr
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Kelly

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
OMG.

If I recall (because I was a kid) Rick played his best hockey in the early 80s. He was our Captain right after Sittler or there abouts. He was also our first 50 goal man.

It's not a shocker that a youngish forum like this is not familiar with him.

I also think it would have been far more constructive to observe this from people's comments and use it as an opportunity to share some Leaf History rather than insult them.

So I am sorry for the insults and snide comments. For those curious about him his Wiki link is below.

Rick Vaive - Wikipedia

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
OMG.

If I recall (because I was a kid) Rick played his best hockey in the early 80s. He was our Captain right after Sittler or there abouts. He was also our first 50 goal man.

It's not a shocker that a youngish forum like this is not familiar with him.

I also think it would have been far more constructive to observe this from people's comments and use it as an opportunity to share some Leaf History rather than insult them.

So I am sorry for the insults and snide comments. For those curious about him his Wiki link is below.

Rick Vaive - Wikipedia
Thank you for the reasonable reply.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

not knowing who this guy is is essentially tied #1 answer. None of this is derailing anything. OP knew Vaive was a nobody.

Reactions: Dache

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I’m an old fart, and have watched a lot of hockey. Maybe this guy is just a pretty fringe name outside of Toronto?
I think hockey fans know of him, it's more an age thing. I'm 36 and although he was a bit before my time I still know who he is. But then you have to remember a decent portion of this board is college aged and born after the year 2000.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I met Vaive in Owen Sound once, nice guy.

Never ceases to amaze me how little star offensive talent the Leafs have had for literally a century.

Leafs have been pretty well garbage my entire life time outside of the past four years, and early 00's - late 90's.... Even then it'd be hard to call them anything else other than 'above average'.

There has been really good players like Sittler, Sundin, Gilmour, Clark, Vaive etc... but no world beaters -- hence why they've been pretty well irrelevant since the '60's.

I say that as a huge supporter of the Leafs, and it seems like they finally have found themselves some elite talent, and I think Matthews, this year, proves he easily belongs in the aforementioned group.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I’m also 36 but don’t know the 20th greatest leaf of all time.
You are trying really hard to disparage a 50 goal scoring Maple Leaf captain. Calling him "a nobody" when he had multiple all stars and 50 goal seasons is a bit over the top. I guess that makes pretty much every Sen ever a nobody huh?

Reactions: Iapyi

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You are trying really hard to disparage a 50 goal scoring Maple Leaf captain. Calling him "a nobody" when he had multiple all stars and 50 goal seasons is a bit over the top. I guess that makes pretty much every Sen ever a nobody huh?

He's the Shawn Mceachern of the leafs

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
On a related note there was an interview with Vaive in the paper today and he claimed that anyone who hit the 50 goal mark multiple times could do so in any era, the insinuation being he would hit 50 goals today, barring in mind he set the Leaf record at 54 the year 99 scored 92. I think it's unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad