Will Auston Matthews break Rick Vaive's record this season?

Will Auston Matthews break Rick Vaive's record this season?

• Total voters

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don’t know who Rick Vaive is but voted no.

Never heard of Rick Vaive and not sure what the record is. Guessing is born in Arizona record or something what an unclear thread OP :shakehead

Jesus tap dancing christ! Learn your hockey history guys! Rick Vaive is one of only 3 players to score 50 goals with the Toronto Maple Leafs! Only 5 times has someone been able to score 50 goals with the Toronto Maple Leafs in their 100 year history and Rick Vaive was the guy to do it 3 of those 5 times! The only other players to do it was Dave Andreychuk in the early high scoring 90s and Gary Leeman. Gary Leeman was only able to do it because he had a mullet during te season he scored 51 goals.

Rick Vaive could've been one of the all time greats but he eventually cracked under the pressure from the Toronto media and fans. Legend has it he was a Mike Bossy level talent and should've had at least 7 50 goal seasons in a row. Instead he only had 3 straight 50 goal seasons during his peak. But once he left Toronto, a old broken down Rick Vaive, way past his prime, was still able to put up 43 goals playing for Chicago in 1987-88.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Jesus tap dancing christ! Learn your hockey history guys! Rick Vaive is one of only 3 players to score 50 goals with the Toronto Maple Leafs! Only 5 times has someone been able to score 50 goals with the Toronto Maple Leafs in their 100 year history and Rick Vaive was the guy to do it 3 of those 5 times! The only other players to do it was Dave Andreychuk in the early high scoring 90s and Gary Leeman. Gary Leeman was only able to do it because he had a mullet during te season he scored 51 goals.

Rick Vaive could've been one of the all time greats but he eventually cracked under the pressure from the Toronto media and fans. Legend has it he was a Mike Bossy level talent and should've had at least 7 50 goal seasons in a row. Instead he only had 3 straight 50 goal seasons during his peak. But once he left Toronto, a old broken down Rick Vaive, way past his prime, was still able to put up 43 goals playing for Chicago in 1987-88.

Sounds like Leafs Lunch radio trivia. This guy warrants no attention.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How dare people not know about a guy who scored 50 goals back when 10-15 guys did it every year and never finished within 20 goals of the league leader!

I bet they don’t know who scored 50 goals for the Hartford Whalers for the first time either!

Not even hockey fans!
Blaine Stoughton?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The fact almost 25% of voters don't know which Rick Vaive is, is shocking that's a guy every hockey fan should know

As for the question if Matthews plays 82 games he does it

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The fact almost 25% of voters don't know which Rick Vaive is, is shocking that's a guy every hockey fan should know

In his three best seasons he finished 6th amongst RWing in the All Star voting. Asking folks to remember who the 6th best RW from 40 years ago seems aggressive. I understand he is important in Leafs lore... but he isn't important.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

And 25, and 29 for Buffalo after that

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In his three best seasons he finished 6th amongst RWing in the All Star voting. Asking folks to remember who the 6th best RW from 40 years ago seems aggressive. I understand he is important in Leafs lore... but he isn't important.

He hit multiple times that's a guy people should know.

I get that you disagree because you are known to be anti Leaf

But if you crack 50 multiple times you should be known.

Do you know who Gary Leeman is?

I bet you do, he did it once.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

yup never heard of him unfortunately. More of a forum for people that follow the Leafs and their history imo.

that being said I do hope he breaks the record. It is always nice to see a young player doing big things.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
What is with Oilers fans wishing an injury on Toronto players. There has been a lot of posts like that of late. As much as I dislike certain teams, I would never wish an injury on anyone. Not cool.

As much as you wish and hope and dream, I didn't wish injury on anyone. You gotta admit though, he has a bad history of being made of glass.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm going to assume these were sarcasm, right?

....right?

why would they be sarcasm?

why would non Leafs fans know about some guy that scored 50 goals a few times for the Leafs in the 80s? I had to google it too to find out who he was

He hit multiple times that's a guy people should know.

I get that you disagree because you are known to be anti Leaf

But if you crack 50 multiple times you should be known.

Do you know who Gary Leeman is?

I bet you do, he did it once.

you know who else scored 50 multiple times in the 80s? literally 15 other guys

and no people don't know who Gary Leeman is either

....none of these guys are even in the hall of fame why the hell do you expect people outside of Toronto to know who they are 40 years later?

Last edited:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
HMMM... Its remarkable that the defence know that just this player has to be stopped. He scores a alot of goals, but even then they fall short, the goalscorer scores his goals, even if the defence know how to stop him.

I voted no. 55 goals on less than 82 games takes that you are on a hot run every game, no low games. Thats close to impossible in todays high speed hockey. I think he has a chance to tie ANdreychuk, becuase he has someone to chase. I looked up now that Andreychuk scored 53 goals.
It just 2 goals less.
So the real question is, can Matthews score over 50 goals? That would be a crazy good accomplishment. He has 50/50 to do it. I think beating Andreychuk would be 35/65, and beating out The Record is 25/75.

It takes 20 more goals to beat it, on 35 more games.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
As much as you wish and hope and dream, I didn't wish injury on anyone. You gotta admit though, he has a bad history of being made of glass.

Do you think McDavid is made of glass? He missed more games in his first 3 seasons than Matthews. I dont think missing 34 games in your first 3 seasons qualifies as "made of glass".

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I can’t believe people (hockey fans) haven’t heard of Rick Vaive. The guy was a 50 goal scorer. Multiple times. His being stripped of the Captaincy, and the circumstances surrounding it are a part of NHL lore.
Toronto was very unmemorable during his tenure.

Mar 26, 2010
Not really. He has had a few freak injuries. No different than McDavid fracturing his Clavicle and missing half the season.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
What is with Oilers fans wishing an injury on Toronto players. There has been a lot of posts like that of late. As much as I dislike certain teams, I would never wish an injury on anyone. Not cool.
So strange considering McDavid has missed more games to injury than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad