Wild Stadium Series & Alumni Games Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I clicked on that link last night not knowing was a Lambert article (was in Wyshynski's Twitter feed). I immediately regretted that decision.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ryan Lambert sends his regards

"Whining about the Winter Classic

To the surprise of no one, it came out this week that the Boston Bruins will be awarded next year's Winter Classic, probably against Montreal, and almost certainly at Gillette Stadium.

In the wake of this scoop, there was, to the surprise of no one, a lot of complaining out of Minnesota about, “Why don't we get a Winter Classic?†It's becoming as big an NHL tradition as the Winter Classic itself.

Here's why the Wild don't get a Winter Classic, and it's really simple: They did a Blackhawks/Capitals Winter Classic this year. That game had Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, two of the most recognizable stars in the sport. It had Alex Ovechkin, one the game's biggest talents. It had two teams that had already been in Winter Classics and driven ratings. It had two teams that are playing really well this year, and which are generally fun to watch. And nobody tuned in.

Maybe you say it's the lack of a real rivalry between the teams, or maybe you say the NHL burned everyone out on outdoor games by having 500 of them last season. Maybe you say that the national audience just doesn't care about the Capitals in the way it does, say, the Penguins.

Now let's think long and hard about including the Wild in such a game:

The Wild boring to watch.
The Wild's biggest stars are Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, who aren't exactly bring-you-out-of-your-seat guys.
The Wild aren't anyone's primary rival.
The Wild have no national following.
The Wild are awful this year.
Pretty strong combination of “reasons to never let that team host a Winter Classic.†Sure you're the State of Hockey, but there are 49 other ones for the league to think about, guys"

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-power-rankings--dan-carcillo--winter-classic-whining--and-blowing-up-leafs-214100500.html

Jeez. Not even giving that guy a click...

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I really enjoy all the other Puck Daddy columnists, so I still read the site and I just make a game of it: see how long it takes me to realize I'm reading Lambert schlock. It's usually by paragraph two.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
It's official. Wild-Blackhawks, February 21st at TCF.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/289676681.html

Feb. 21 is Hockey Day in America (and I think it's probably a given that the Wild will schedule it for HDM as well). Should be a great day of hockey on national TV. Here's hoping they understand the spirit of the thing and broadcast some HS/college games that morning, and don't just do the typical NBC thing and show something like Washington-Pittsburgh and cut to MN at the last second.

Not gonna lie, I haven't cared much about the outdoor games for a few years now, but I'm really pretty excited for all three next year.

Billy Mays Here*

*Yawn*

Target Field would have been a much cooler venue. TCF is just another boring football stadium for one of these games.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I wonder when tickets will go on sale to the general public.

Really, really hoping I can go.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
Yeah I've pretty much decided I'm flying back for this ****er. If they announce some more events the same weekend it'll seal the deal for me.

First, your avatar just made me spit my drink out. Second, I'm sure there will be plenty of events the same weekend. Even talk of bringing the Iowa Wild up for a game.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I wonder when tickets will go on sale to the general public.

Really, really hoping I can go.

Hopefully they'll make an announcement when they'll be on sale. Definitely gotta try to go. I saw the gophers play there last year and I think it'll be much better for viewing than target field.

Billy Mays Here*

And Target Field is just another boring baseball stadium where closests seats to the rink are one mile away?

Target Field is far more unique than a typical horseshoe football stadium, as all MLB stadiums are. Would be a much cooler venue, and who cares about sight lines when the vast majority of people will be watching it on tv, not in person. The sight lines are going to be bad regardless of which stadium it is in.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Target Field is far more unique than a typical horseshoe football stadium, as all MLB stadiums are. Would be a much cooler venue, and who cares about sight lines when the vast majority of people will be watching it on tv, not in person. The sight lines are going to be bad regardless of which stadium it is in.

If that's your argument, who cares if it's a more unique venue when most people will be watching on tv anyway?

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I think that plays a role in tv feed too. There are lots of people, yet on baseball stadiums it looks like they're playing in the middle of nothing and it gives this weird feeling.

This photo is from Germany and it is a soccer stadium (with a roof). Is this not doable? Edit: I mean the extra seats on the field (not that they should find a soccer stadium). You'd think NHL would love all the extra seats so maybe there are technical reasons.

fKEU4Ax.jpg

Last edited:

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I think that plays a role in tv feed too. There are lots of people, yet on baseball stadiums it looks like they're playing in the middle of nothing and it gives this weird feeling.

This photo is from Germany and it is a soccer stadium (with a roof). Is this not doable?

fKEU4Ax.jpg

A hockey game drew that many people in Germany??? That surprises me.

Or is that just a rendering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad