Wild Stadium Series & Alumni Games Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yeah, I've said as much multiple times in this thread. There is simply NO GOOD WAY IN OR OUT of that area in your own vehicle during game days. The light rail is a godsend in that regard. I highly recommend parking along the Green Line (or even Blue, depending where you live) and just riding to TCF that way. Otherwise you will absolutely be sitting in traffic for 2 hours after the game.

Man, the green line from us bank stadium was such a smooth way in/out it was crazy! I was dropping off my friend in inver grove long before I'd have even cleared the stadium village traffic had I parked there!

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Rivalries aside, I thought it was great how both alumni teams had fun with each other, and were able to be together in the same room. Apparently that won't be the case next weekend in Colorado.

Excerpt from Russo.

That’s it for me. Most the guys get out of town Sunday. For Ciccarelli, he plays in the Red Wings’ alumni game next weekend in Colorado. He said this weekend was incredible because they did everything with the Blackhawks. They took the same bus to events, etc. He and old foe Denis Savard even kiddingly got into a scrap seconds after the faceoff.

Ciccarelli may not be kidding next weekend. He said he’s already disgusted the way the Avs are treating the Red Wings, saying “Patrick Roy and Peter Forsberg have said they don’t want any interacting between the two teams. Next week’s game will be intense.â€

Keep it classy, Roy.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Lol, seriously? They don't want any contact between teams for an alumni game? That might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life :laugh:

Aren't these games supposed to be fun?

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I remember hearing that during the Alumni Game, something about not even riding on the same bus together like the Stars/Hawks did. Just another reason to despise Roy.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Man that looks sweet. Russo's article was great too. Sad that couldn't follow the event.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Man, the green line from us bank stadium was such a smooth way in/out it was crazy! I was dropping off my friend in inver grove long before I'd have even cleared the stadium village traffic had I parked there!

See! People complained a lot during Green Line construction, but once they use it for big events with lots of traffic, they become converts :D There is simply no better way through that part of town when there are that many other people around.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
See! People complained a lot during Green Line construction, but once they use it for big events with lots of traffic, they become converts :D There is simply no better way through that part of town when there are that many other people around.

Convert? I was never against it...

ewoksonhoth

Lolorado
Jul 4, 2012
One Great City!
Convert? I was never against it...

I think he was speaking in general about people who think the lightrail system was a waste of taxpayer dollars. I love it and can't wait until they get the new MLS stadium built with that stop right on Uni and Snelling. It'll be even better than it is now, and it's pretty great as is.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I think he was speaking in general about people who think the lightrail system was a waste of taxpayer dollars. I love it and can't wait until they get the new MLS stadium built with that stop right on Uni and Snelling. It'll be even better than it is now, and it's pretty great as is.

Bingo; didn't mean you, TaLon. Just speaking in general :)

I remember lots of people complaining when they tore up University Ave for the Green Line, naysaying all of us who "want[ed] to ride a little choo-choo train to St. Paul" or whatever.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I'm going with Uber.

3.5x's the amount of the normal price during this last weekend. First night we took a personal cab (off the books) that dropped us off right at Playoffs. Sunday we didn't have enough people to secure the cab so I just drove down there at noon (was tailgating anyway) and parked by the church on 10th St for $10. I was in and out of there before cars got out of the parking ramps nears the stadium. It wasn't a bad walk at all and most of the traffic was blocked off where we walked so you had free reign crossing the streets.

But as I harped on this for the last couple years when they were trying for a WC, Target Field would have been a god send for everyone. More hotels, more bars, more parking and easier accessibility for cabs and busses. But TCF was a great place to have the game :)

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Well we were worried about the NHL screwing up on their allotment of tickets as being a red flag and it seems like that fear has been justified: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14822756/nhl-morning-3-3-outdoor-games-becoming-too-routine Scroll down to Craig Custance's part and he calls it a huge red flag. Idiot. The NHL screwed up with their allotment, not the Wild or Hawks, both of those allotments sold the hell out.

The "red flag bit" to me seems like what they are going to point to in order to not give Minnesota a deserved Winter Classic. Bettman was out saying "it's like the same thing!" the day of too. There are 18,000 reports out there about how the NHL screwed it up and held in 4k tickets but apparently they skipped that part in their analysis.

Oh, also the fact this was the biggest alumni game so far, (for a team that hasn't existed for over 20 years) and 3k were down the street watching the U beat the Badgers in WOMENS HOCKEY at the same time. But yeah, huge failure. :laugh:

Also, we had the most gear ordered, most gear sold (because it sold out several times) of any of the teams in the Series or WC and they wouldn't make more for us (this is what I was told at the Lodge due to massive outages of gear).

As to Chicago --- their "real" fans seem to love it, and it gets the casuals out. Any team that has won a ton of cups recently is going to have random event/bandwagon fans everywhere and that's what this is except for the home team.

A mate of mine is in my STH group and he met a Chicago Firefighter and his Dad who go to EVERY outdoor game together. Dude (who was 40 or so) just finished a 2 day shift, drove the airport flew in to MSP with his dad and had been up for 36+ hours before puck drop and had a blast.

I'll take a heritage classic with Winnipeg, would be way more fun anyway. Do a Jets alum team and like Team Minnesota or something and people would lose their minds.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
If there is a kind soul out there that is willing to trade a Medium North Star Alumni Jersey to me for a Large North Star Alumni Jersey.. let me know pls..

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
A Heritage Classic with the Jets would be a ****ing blast! Do a North Stars/Wild vs Old Jets/New Jets Alumni game with the old North Stars and Jets jerseys and you've got the best looking outdoor game in terms of jerseys ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad