Wild Stadium Series & Alumni Games Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
Most of my disappointment about not getting the Classic is because if it was on New Year's I could probably go.

Fair enough. The opposite for me. I'm usually out of town for NYE and new years day. Last year I watched the classic at a LaGuardia airport bar.

And I don't like attention or recognition from the media.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My thoughts exactly.

At least if this game with the avs is accurate at least we get a team we have some recent history with instead of the league trying to milk the North Stars leaving Minnesota wound for money.

It's not a game WITH the Avs... the Wild and the Avs are each getting to host their own games.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
My thoughts exactly.

At least if this game with the avs is accurate at least we get a team we have some recent history with instead of the league trying to milk the North Stars leaving Minnesota wound for money.

Not a game WITH the Avs. The Wild AND Avs are getting Stadium Series games. I'm guessing we'll play Dallas or Chicago.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
It's not a game WITH the Avs... the Wild and the Avs are each getting to host their own games.

Not a game WITH the Avs. The Wild AND Avs are getting Stadium Series games. I'm guessing we'll play Dallas or Chicago.

Oh.

I need to read better.

It damn well better not be Dallas. Chicago would be great but personally I'd like that to be held until we can get a proper Winter Classic.

How cool would if be if we could home and home it with the Av's? Play one game at Target Field and then a couple nights later play the next one at....whatever outdoor dumpster they've got in Denver.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Wouldn't putting it at TCF necessitate the Vikings playing road games several weeks in a row?

Hm.

Depends on when they want to have it I guess.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Really sad that it isn't a Winter Classic game. I'm not sure about anyone else but I really feel like the league would do better to let other teams that could possibly host or play in it do it. Wouldn't it be better to get more exposure for more teams in the league? I know Boston hasn't hosted one yet but they have played in one right? I'm pretty sure they have anyway. Outdoor game will be kind of cool no matter what though I suppose.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Wouldn't putting it at TCF necessitate the Vikings playing road games several weeks in a row?

Hm.

Depends on when they want to have it I guess.

Vikings regular season ends before the end of the year. Stadium series was the end of January last year (and March for Chicago).

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I will definitely be bummed if it's at Target Field. TCF is actually set up in a way that will not make the viewing experience completely crappy.

Depends on when the game is, would it be around New Years, or earlier? Later?

I mean, when the Gophers played there, I think they had it up for 3 weeks total, IIRC. A 3 week road trip wouldn't be a big deal for the Vikes, especially if you throw a bye week in there.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I know Boston hasn't hosted one yet but they have played in one right? I'm pretty sure they have anyway. Outdoor game will be kind of cool no matter what though I suppose.

No, Boston hosted the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway, against the Flyers.

Bridgestone+Winter+Classic+Philadelphia+Flyers+LiwcYL9eYY2l.jpg

Pretty much with this announcement, the league is saying that Minnesota is not important.

We're not important guys, better get used to it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm gonna be really bummed when it turns out to be at Target field. I'd totally go if it was at TCF.

I'm guessing the Pro-caliber facility that Target Field is, will win out over the better sight lines of TCF.

Pretty much with this announcement, the league is saying that Minnesota is not important.

I'm surprised you're just NOW figuring that out...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
No, Boston hosted the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway, against the Flyers.

Bridgestone+Winter+Classic+Philadelphia+Flyers+LiwcYL9eYY2l.jpg

To be fair, we have yet to win a Cup, make a finals appearance, or win the President's Cup any time recently.

You have to imagine if we had managed to take down Chicago and made it to the WCF we'd be getting a lot more legitimate attention.

Still stupid that Boston gets another one tho.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I ain't even mad. Just deeply, deeply sad and broken.

Edit: Jk. That was the beer talking. Now I'm sober, and mad.

Last edited:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
To be fair, we have yet to win a Cup, make a finals appearance, or win the President's Cup any time recently.

You have to imagine if we had managed to take down Chicago and made it to the WCF we'd be getting a lot more legitimate attention.

Still stupid that Boston gets another one tho.

That's why I am not all that bummed that we don't get to host a Winter Classic. We haven't "earned" it yet. We're all proud to be from The State of Hockey and we all know that Minnesota has a history and hockey legacy like no other state.. But that doesn't mean much to fans of other teams and what the average NHL fan would be interested in watching.

Say we put the Wild in Maryland. Same team and history just located in a different state. Do we still "deserve" one? No. We need to start winning on bigger and better stages then bask in all the perks that it brings.

But yes, would prefer if they spread it around a little more and didn't have the same cities and teams hosting stuff year over year. Whatever though, I'm kind of getting sick of all the outdoor games anyways. Was cool when they had one or two a year.

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Like EVERYONE here, I wanted a WC.

But just like Avder said, we still have much to prove to the league.

That being said,

Ill see you guys at the SS game..

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Winter Classics:

Pittsburgh @ Buffalo
Detroit @ Chicago
Philadelphia @ Boston
Washington @ Pittsburgh
New York @ Philadelphia
Toronto @ Detroit
Chicago @ Washington
?????? @ Boston

My guess is Pittsburgh plays Boston, and then New York hosts Philadelphia the following year. And then you might get say Detroit in Washington or something.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm giving the NHL the benefit of the doubt that they'll at least be smart enough to do Habs @ Bruins if they're going back to Boston. The only real justification for double-dipping in Boston is that they still haven't showcased the league's marquee/longest-running rivalry in an outdoor game. Plus, look how successful the Leafs-Wings cross-border Classic was for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad