Wild Stadium Series & Alumni Games Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
The Blackhawks are a perfectly logical opponent for an outdoor game in Minnesota. Closest geographical rival, historical rivalry dating back to the 60s, and we've played them in the playoffs the last two years.

Only seems like a bad choice because pitting them against the Caps this year was unfathomably stupid.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
The Blackhawks are a perfectly logical opponent for an outdoor game in Minnesota. Closest geographical rival, historical rivalry dating back to the 60s, and we've played them in the playoffs the last two years.

Only seems like a bad choice because pitting them against the Caps this year was unfathomably stupid.

The wild declined to be the visiting team against the caps.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Glad it was Chicago and not Dallas.

Now of course this means once we finally get a WC, it will probably be against Dallas.

Winnipeg would be a lot of fun.
Nhl wanted Dallas owner wanted the blackhawks.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I'm not too mad about the Hawks getting another outdoor game (3rd in 3 years) because at least they're up against a rival in us. I actually want to go to this game whenever it is.

Dec 29, 2011
Southern Minnesota

Jets.

That is all.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
What the hell? Doesn't being a visitor basically mean you get a home one very shortly?

From the article:

As has been reported many times, Craig Leipold’s ultimate goal is to host the actual Winter Classic. As has been reported many times, the NHL has thus far told the Wild owner that he needs to be patient. Leipold has been so adamant about his desire to host, he declined the chance for the Wild to be the visitor against Washington.

A few years ago, Leipold also declined the stadium series games because he wanted the main event. However, Leipold has since changed his mind and informed Commissioner Gary Bettman awhile ago that he would be willing to host a stadium series game as long as it helps his eventual objective – to host a Winter Classic.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
As a STH, I don't ask for much. But this time, the Wild better not #@$! this up. Yes, I understand that the game won't be included in the season ticket package. It's put on by the NHL in a different venue, so the Wild don't have that control. However, when looking at how the Sharks went about it, the club should have a little flexibility. Sharks, Kings, and 49ers STHer's were given a special presale. I'm guessing the Wild will do the same. Although it still makes me nervous, because if they allow both the Wild and Hawks STHer's a presale, the home town fans will get the shaft due to all the Hawks' fans. And then there are some season ticket holders who buy up more tickets just to sell for a profit.

Again, I haven't asked for much in the past 12-13 years, but if the Wild (who are on thin ice enough with STHer's) want to save face, they better not mess this up.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
As a STH, I don't ask for much. But this time, the Wild better not #@$! this up. Yes, I understand that the game won't be included in the season ticket package. It's put on by the NHL in a different venue, so the Wild don't have that control. However, when looking at how the Sharks went about it, the club should have a little flexibility. Sharks, Kings, and 49ers STHer's were given a special presale. I'm guessing the Wild will do the same. Although it still makes me nervous, because if they allow both the Wild and Hawks STHer's a presale, the home town fans will get the shaft due to all the Hawks' fans. And then there are some season ticket holders who buy up more tickets just to sell for a profit.

Again, I haven't asked for much in the past 12-13 years, but if the Wild (who are on thin ice enough with STHer's) want to save face, they better not mess this up.

It won't be that bad. They will only limit the amount (as they do with any playoff game) given to the away team. It would be too much of a ****storm to the franchise if they allow it to be any different. And if they do not limit the tickets, I would hope it means they do what Nashville does and restricts ticket sales from Chicago zipcodes lol.

The bigger issue is going to be how they do the ticket presale as you said. How do you prioritize it? Do you go by seat price? Lottery based on number of years you've been a STH? If you sit in upper level, do you even get a chance to buy tickets on lower level or club level? How many tickets do you allow people to buy? You can't limit it to 2 if you own 12 seats, no? But you can't limit it to 2 just because you have 2 seats.

I'll be interested to see what they do. When they officially announce it, I'll most likely reach out to my rep and see what they can dig up now as opposed to waiting for an email this summer about it.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It won't be that bad. They will only limit the amount (as they do with any playoff game) given to the away team. It would be too much of a ****storm to the franchise if they allow it to be any different. And if they do not limit the tickets, I would hope it means they do what Nashville does and restricts ticket sales from Chicago zipcodes lol.

The bigger issue is going to be how they do the ticket presale as you said. How do you prioritize it? Do you go by seat price? Lottery based on number of years you've been a STH? If you sit in upper level, do you even get a chance to buy tickets on lower level or club level? How many tickets do you allow people to buy? You can't limit it to 2 if you own 12 seats, no? But you can't limit it to 2 just because you have 2 seats.

I'll be interested to see what they do. When they officially announce it, I'll most likely reach out to my rep and see what they can dig up now as opposed to waiting for an email this summer about it.
Yep. That's a good idea to contact the rep. For something like this, you have to be proactive in order to get all the information and have a plan for when they go on sale. This is the FAQ's for the Sharks' game regarding STHer's and the presale. I can't imagine the Wild going too far off the page of what San Jose is doing. Another thing to consider is if they do give out passwords, they'd be smart to find a way to have a personalized one for each ticket account. Because when it comes to the presale for regular season games, those passwords get leaked EVERY year in record time. It looks like the Sharks did make unique passwords, however they allowed 12 tickets for each account. Again, that could be a concern since I've seen people scoop up extra season tickets just to sell and make a profit. Imagine if lots of people bought up to the max with the intent to sell. There wouldn't be enough to go around.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, the NHL was willing to give the Wild the visitor's spot in this year's Winter Classic, but not host the game? Why were they so dead set on this being in Washington? Weather? Just seems like the NHL may have passed on a very unique venue in having it in Minnesota with the Caps visiting. You get Ovechkin coming to play in Minnesota where the NHL/NBC can go crazy about all the outdoor hockey being played that weekend (I'm assuming) and the history of outdoor hockey in Minnesota. Just kind of seems to make a hell of a lot more sense than giving the Wild or Blackhawks the visiting spot for a game in Washington.

Stadium Series should be cool, but I'm guessing tickets are going to be insane for non-STH's or anyone who doesn't get them at the Xcel before they sell out. I would have preferred playing Colorado or Winnipeg as opposed to Chicago, but I'm sure the NHL wanted at least one "premier" team in the game.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
So, the NHL was willing to give the Wild the visitor's spot in this year's Winter Classic, but not host the game? Why were they so dead set on this being in Washington?

Because Washington was the visitor in 2011. It's pretty much a rule that visitors in the classic host one within 5 years.

The fact that the visitor was Chicago was just NBC being NBC.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Ryan Lambert sends his regards

"Whining about the Winter Classic

To the surprise of no one, it came out this week that the Boston Bruins will be awarded next year's Winter Classic, probably against Montreal, and almost certainly at Gillette Stadium.

In the wake of this scoop, there was, to the surprise of no one, a lot of complaining out of Minnesota about, “Why don't we get a Winter Classic?” It's becoming as big an NHL tradition as the Winter Classic itself.

Here's why the Wild don't get a Winter Classic, and it's really simple: They did a Blackhawks/Capitals Winter Classic this year. That game had Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, two of the most recognizable stars in the sport. It had Alex Ovechkin, one the game's biggest talents. It had two teams that had already been in Winter Classics and driven ratings. It had two teams that are playing really well this year, and which are generally fun to watch. And nobody tuned in.

Maybe you say it's the lack of a real rivalry between the teams, or maybe you say the NHL burned everyone out on outdoor games by having 500 of them last season. Maybe you say that the national audience just doesn't care about the Capitals in the way it does, say, the Penguins.

Now let's think long and hard about including the Wild in such a game:

The Wild boring to watch.
The Wild's biggest stars are Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, who aren't exactly bring-you-out-of-your-seat guys.
The Wild aren't anyone's primary rival.
The Wild have no national following.
The Wild are awful this year.
Pretty strong combination of “reasons to never let that team host a Winter Classic.” Sure you're the State of Hockey, but there are 49 other ones for the league to think about, guys"

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/puck-daddy-power-rankings--dan-carcillo--winter-classic-whining--and-blowing-up-leafs-214100500.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad