Wild Stadium Series & Alumni Games Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Boston gets two Winter Classic's and the Wild don't even get a sniff of one for a long time? NBC can go to h***.

What does NBC have to do with this? We're not an elite team and that makes up a big part of it. NBC's desires probably count for maybe a quarter of the decision, a teams eliteleness more than half, and then if there's a suitable opponent probably counts for the rest.

We're not elite. We have yet to win a cup, make a finals or conference finals appearance, or win the presidents trophy during the Winter Classic era.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
What does NBC have to do with this? We're not an elite team and that makes up a big part of it. NBC's desires probably count for maybe a quarter of the decision, a teams eliteleness more than half, and then if there's a suitable opponent probably counts for the rest.

We're not elite. We have yet to win a cup, make a finals or conference finals appearance, or win the presidents trophy during the Winter Classic era.

NBC is real happy with the league right now. All the Cali teams are good, Boston, Chicago, and both New York teams are also good at the moment. They are all about money, and ratings make money. My opinion is that the Wild wouldn't be chosen to host a winter classic even if they had won the last 5 cups.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
NBC is real happy with the league right now. All the Cali teams are good, Boston, Chicago, and both New York teams are also good at the moment. They are all about money, and ratings make money. My opinion is that the Wild wouldn't be chosen to host a winter classic even if they had won the last 5 cups.

Correct. NBC wants ratings and they are going toe to toe with the college playoff games on Jan 1 and the only way you're going to pull ratings down is by putting teams that have a national audience. The whole reason I believe they designed this stadium series BS is because it keeps the owners/fanbases happy of teams that would never get the WC, to include the Canadian Heritage Classic game too. Teams like Tampa Bay, Dallas, Anaheim, and yes Minnesota are not a national draw. The only two players on this team that casual fans know about are Zach and Ryan, and that has more to do with the Olympics than them being on the Wild.

The WC started out as what it was supposed to be and then the execs realized how much money they'll make on advertising and the event itself and called it a day with the main teams always being in the Northeast where a massive amount of our countries population live along with the transplant of individuals who have left that area and are still fans.

PariseNation

I hope so
Apr 15, 2014
Twin Cities
I don't understand the buzz about a winter classic.

I could care less about getting national attention. I like that our team stays under the radar.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I am in the very very small minority of Wild fans that dont really want any outdoor games. ridiculous ticket prices for being a mile away from the ice. Plus now hardly any hockey fans care about any outdoor games anymore because there have been so many over the years. Just my opinion like I said probably 1% of Wild fans agree

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib · 46m46 minutes ago
@MarkLazerus #mnwild had a chance to be the road game for this game but declined. I think they regretted it in hindsight

Is bad for me to be upset about this only because I think the wild win one lose one record would make for good tv?

Willie Plett

Cold Lampin'
Oct 18, 2008
the NHL needs to do something with Hockey Day Minnesota. anything that could take attention away from that i can't support. i do like the pairing with the Av's though.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

I don't think "eliteness" has as much to do with it as television viewing markets. NBC doesn't care about showcasing the "best" teams more than they do the teams that can draw the most eyeballs. How else do you explain the Flyers and Leafs getting an opportunity before a team like St Louis?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Alright, over in the Colorado forum I said that their opponent should be St. Louis, given the whole brewing rivalry between Denver-based Coors and STL-based Busch (hence the rivalry nickname Suds Series).

As for you guys, I think you should host Chicago in your Stadium Series game. This rivalry was officially reborn last year after 20 years of dormancy following the departure of the North Stars, so the Norris Division throwback would be good. Maybe the Wild can get permission to wear old North Stars uniforms if Chicago is the opponent. I wasn't around for much of the Norris era, but from what I know, the Norris rivalries were very intense.

I read that the Wild would get to host a WC after their Stadium Series game, and I think Winnipeg would be the best opponent for that one, to showcase a new division rivalry created in last year's realignment (the next few WC's starting with next year's should feature recently-created division rivalries, Tampa Bay at Boston next year and Pittsburgh at Columbus the year after, then Winnipeg at Minnesota).

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Alright, over in the Colorado forum I said that their opponent should be St. Louis, given the whole brewing rivalry between Denver-based Coors and STL-based Busch (hence the rivalry nickname Suds Series).

As for you guys, I think you should host Chicago in your Stadium Series game. This rivalry was officially reborn last year after 20 years of dormancy following the departure of the North Stars, so the Norris Division throwback would be good. Maybe the Wild can get permission to wear old North Stars uniforms if Chicago is the opponent. I wasn't around for much of the Norris era, but from what I know, the Norris rivalries were very intense.

I read that the Wild would get to host a WC after their Stadium Series game, and I think Winnipeg would be the best opponent for that one, to showcase a new division rivalry created in last year's realignment (the next few WC's starting with next year's should feature recently-created division rivalries, Tampa Bay at Boston next year and Pittsburgh at Columbus the year after, then Winnipeg at Minnesota).
I would choose the Blues if we get a Stadium series. Both teams don't like each other much, and we're in the same division. Chicago has played enough outdoor games. And although there is some hate with the Jets, we'd risk having half the stadium filled with their fans. They invade the Xcel. While I like some back and forth banter with opposing fans, we don't need the home crowd to get drown out on national tv for an outdoor game.

The one team I hope we DON'T face is Dallas. Because the league will try to turn it into a big Minnesota North Stars thing. If we get awarded an outdoor game, it needs to be 100% about the Wild. Not about a ghost of the past. We can still pay respect to the North Stars in some way without playing Dallas. The last thing we need is to have story after story about the old Stars, merchandise all geared towards an old logo that doesn't even belong to us anymore, and Modano dropping the puck to start the game. Just the thought of it makes me nauseous. It has to be all about the Wild. Again, we can pay tribute to all the hockey franchises in the past in some way, but we don't have to make the entire event about it. And that's exactly what will happen if it's Dallas. Fans won't even be discussing the game....it'll be two fan bases turning it into a Norm Green debate.

Blues all the way.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I would choose the Blues if we get a Stadium series. Both teams don't like each other much, and we're in the same division. Chicago has played enough outdoor games. And although there is some hate with the Jets, we'd risk having half the stadium filled with their fans. They invade the Xcel. While I like some back and forth banter with opposing fans, we don't need the home crowd to get drown out on national tv for an outdoor game.

The one team I hope we DON'T face is Dallas. Because the league will try to turn it into a big Minnesota North Stars thing. If we get awarded an outdoor game, it needs to be 100% about the Wild. Not about a ghost of the past. We can still pay respect to the North Stars in some way without playing Dallas. The last thing we need is to have story after story about the old Stars, merchandise all geared towards an old logo that doesn't even belong to us anymore, and Modano dropping the puck to start the game. Just the thought of it makes me nauseous. It has to be all about the Wild. Again, we can pay tribute to all the hockey franchises in the past in some way, but we don't have to make the entire event about it. And that's exactly what will happen if it's Dallas. Fans won't even be discussing the game....it'll be two fan bases turning it into a Norm Green debate.

Blues all the way.

That's what the Nhl wants Is for the wild to play Dallas.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
More Stadium Series Games?
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 5m5 minutes ago
It seems NBCSN is reporting that the #Blackhawks will be in a Stadium Series game next year vs. the Wild. As absurd as it was inevitable.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
More Stadium Series Games?
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 5m5 minutes ago
It seems NBCSN is reporting that the #Blackhawks will be in a Stadium Series game next year vs. the Wild. As absurd as it was inevitable.
With the bandwagon Hawks fans, it should be 50/50 fan support at the game. :shakehead Meh, better than Dallas, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA