Post-Game Talk: Wild 3 Oilers 2 Shootout

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How is the hell is Calgary better? Because they are riding a hot goalie and winning a lot of games in OT/SO?

The Oilers have played solid hockey this year. Fundamentally, this is a pretty decent team with a game breaking talent up front. The formula is there for a strong season. Just need our goalies to find a groove and for Hendricks to disappear.

And it's unfortunate, because Hendricks is a real warrior, a great team guy. But yeah, he's just not at that level of play anymore. Slepyshev (maybe Khaira as well, he was good last season) is a much better replacement.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
How is the hell is Calgary better? Because they are riding a hot goalie and winning a lot of games in OT/SO?

The Oilers have played solid hockey this year. Fundamentally, this is a pretty decent team with a game breaking talent up front. The formula is there for a strong season. Just need our goalies to find a groove and for Hendricks to disappear.

the difference between Calgary and Edmonton is 1-goal games

Calgary is 10-1-2
Edmonton is 4-4-5...with tons is points squandered

the Oilers don't have another back to back until Jan 6th and 7th...lots of rest between games

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Better defense?..

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bravo. :handclap: Its really awful to see what this board has come to lately.

I mean, the Oilers are barely treading water and can't seem to pull out wins in any 1 goal games because they always make the last mistake.

They're one of the best road teams in the league but sadly they suck at home...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
He really hasn't deserved it, he's been really solid and at times even dangerous.
I'd definitely have him in the lineup over Pitlick.
Pitlick looked like a beer league star who wandered into the wrong rink tonight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dallas has a terrible defense. They will win games because of their offense but they will win and lose games by 6-5 scores every night. Calgary has had better goaltending than the Habs and Wild for the last couple of games. Chad Johnson isn't going to continue to play this well. Calgary has such an overrated defense, they continually allow 3+ goals and still get branded as one of the better D's in the league simply because of the names on their roster.

I still feel that the Oilers will get one of the wild card spots. Division spot may be tough if Quick returns soon. Chicago, STL, Minny, Cali teams, EDM and Nashville is who I see making the playoffs.

They need one winning streak to give themselves some breathing room. If they go on a 5 game win streak like the Flames are on right now, all you need is slightly above .500 to make the playoffs.

Don't see them getting a wild card spot. They are going to be competing with likely Minnesota/Calgary or LA/Nashville for a spot there.

They are the odd one out. Oilers fans will look back at all the wastes points over the last 3-4 weeks and that'll probably be the difference.

They're better this year, but they're not good enough. Not yet. Maybe next year especially if Puljujarvi and Nurse take a step in their development.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because they have a better overall defence and a slightly older group that is less prone to making mistakes. Johnson had soldified their goaltending and they made the playoffs the season before.

Until Edmonton proves it by learning how to actually win close games, they are better and will overtake the Oilers by Christmas, probably sooner.

They're not much better though if you want to take solace in that.

The Flames are barely eking out wins because Johnson is putting up Price-like numbers. They're not blowing out teams (Anaheim aside), they're usually winning 2-1 or 1-0.

Once Johnson returns to normal so will the Flames.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I mean, the Oilers are barely treading water and can't seem to pull out wins in any 1 goal games because they always make the last mistake.

They're one of the best road teams in the league but sadly they suck at home...

Yeah, the home record definitely needs to improve if they wanna remain in a playoff spot. On the bright side, they are usually aready 10 points out of a playoff spot this time of year in previous years, so it's nice to see them actually holding down a spot at this time of year for a change. Need to rattle off a nice 5-6 game winning streak at home to get things back on track.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
We thought Klef-Lars could be our #1 pair.
Its evident that Sekera - Russel is easily the better duo.
Hopefully in time the Swedes step up their overall play.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Why is benning and simpson on the ice when Mcdavid is? For all the talk about needing defencemen to get forwards the puck, you would think the first and second parings would be out more often with Connor's line.

Absolutely weird decisions at times.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Pitlick looked like a beer league star who wandered into the wrong rink tonight.

Pitlick had a mediocre game, yeah. But overall he's been much, much better than Hendricks, and slightly better than Slepyshev as well. The production tells the story.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Don't see them getting a wild card spot. They are going to be competing with likely Minnesota/Calgary or LA/Nashville for a spot there.

They are the odd one out. Oilers fans will look back at all the wastes points over the last 3-4 weeks and that'll probably be the difference.

They're better this year, but they're not good enough. Not yet. Maybe next year.

There's wastes for every team. Kings lost to Carolina at home last night and came away with 0 points. They key for the teams that will make the playoffs will be the loser points accumulated instead of the straight up losses.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Flames are barely eking out wins because Johnson is putting up Price-like numbers. They're not blowing out teams (Anaheim aside), they're usually winning 2-1 or 1-0.

Once Johnson returns to normal so will the Flames.

They're still probably better than us. We have 7 wins in 22 games, remember that.

Johnson will probably regress a bit, but he was .920 last year playing 45 games on a bad Buffalo team. He is a decent goalie, much like Talbot. He soldifies that position considerably for them.

Like I said though I don't think they're much better, so you can take solace in that.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Updated:

Here are the upcoming guaranteed losses against the teams who have had our number for an eternity. The total is 22.5 hours give or take OT. This is the perfect opportunity to take the family to the mall, go on a road trip with the buddies, or take up a new hobby.

Dec 9 vs Minnesota OTL
Dec 21 vs Arizona
Dec 29 vs LA
Jan 16 vs Arizona
Jan 31 vs Minnesota
Feb 14 vs Arizona
Mar 20 vs LA
Mar 28 vs LA
Apr 4 vs LA

OilersDoe

Feb 28, 2012
Meh, 5 games in 7 days. With that being said this team is not even close to making the playoffs. Lol.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014

That kind of worries me too. He was great for a while, wonder what is going on?

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Why is benning and simpson on the ice when Mcdavid is? For all the talk about needing defencemen to get forwards the puck, you would think the first and second parings would be out more often with Connor's line.

Absolutely weird decisions at times.

Absolutely bad decisions all the time*

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004

Calgary is 10-1-2

the Oilers don't have another back to back until Jan 6th and 7th...lots of rest between games

Agreed. I guess where I differ is that I think a lot of that is just luck. It is such a cliché to say that good teams find ways to win tight games. At the end of the day all it takes is some good bounces, some confidence and random variation and you will get discrepancies like this over short sample sizes.

Mr Tadakichi

Nov 23, 2014
Updated:

Here are the upcoming guaranteed losses against the teams who have had our number for an eternity. The total is 22.5 hours give or take OT. This is the perfect opportunity to take the family to the mall, go on a road trip with the buddies, or take up a new hobby.

Dec 9 vs Minnesota OTL
Dec 21 vs Arizona
Dec 29 vs LA
Jan 16 vs Arizona
Jan 31 vs Minnesota
Feb 14 vs Arizona
Mar 20 vs LA
Mar 28 vs LA
Apr 4 vs LA

And all against teams that play stifling hockey. I should have learned by now that these games will put me to sleep. I still watch them for some reason.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They're still probably better than us. We have 7 wins in 22 games, remember that.

Johnson will probably regress a bit, but he was .920 last year playing 45 games on a bad Buffalo team. He is a decent goalie, much like Talbot. He soldifies that position considerably for them.

Like I said though I don't think they're much better, so you can take solace in that.

Johnson is the difference right now. Otherwise the Flames aren't better than us in any regard.

Crazy thing is we've scored 12 more goals than any other team in the conference. When the Oilers win they win by a few. When they lose they usually lose by 1.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Meh, 5 games in 7 days. With that being said this team is not even close to making the playoffs. Lol.

Sad part is they could be if not for all those collapses in the last 3 minutes of games. They've pissed away at least 6-10 points from those games and would have a healthy lead on the division. Given that they pissed away so many points, and their current inability to string wins together, I am pretty skeptical that they have any chance at making playoffs. If they could put a 3 or 4 game winning streak together then they might change my mind.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Calgary is 10-1-2

That will be a big difference in the end. Oilers just are a little too raw for prime time, Flames are a little steadier with better veterans like Giordano, Brodie, and various other players on their roster. We are still too sloppy in the details of the game at times even if we are more talented.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Updated:

Dec 9 vs Minnesota OTL
Dec 21 vs Arizona
Dec 29 vs LA
Jan 16 vs Arizona
Jan 31 vs Minnesota
Feb 14 vs Arizona
Mar 20 vs LA
Mar 28 vs LA
Apr 4 vs LA

Arizona is the only team of those I'm 100% sure they will lose.

That teams complete ownage of the Oilers is otherworldly. No matter the season, no matter the standings :cry:

Hoping it comes to an end when Doan retires and the great error of '95 has been forgiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad