Post-Game Talk: Wild 3 Oilers 2 Shootout

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm all on the put RNH at wing train. He's never going to find himself this way, he's simply not that good of a player. He needs to be the second best on his line. A McDavid or Hall need to carry him.

Lucic McDavid RNH
Maroon Draisaitl Eberle
Slepy Lander Puljujarvi
Pitlick Letestu Kassian
Caggiula

Is what I'd roll with.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, not sure why he keeps juggling lines this late into the season. Maybe the first ten games or so, but at around 30? Drai looks awesome with McDavid, but changed that quickly.

I honestly think he should encourage nuge to just go for offence. I just don't see nuge as a full blown shut-down guy at all.

I don't have an issue moving Drai off McDavid line. Nuge's line hasn't be producing so we needed offence from another line than McDavids. Caggiula looks fine on McDavid's wing, and Drai+Pouliot have looked good the last 2 games since Drai got moved back to centre.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Another game on TMac. He's quickly lost all of my faith and I honestly don't see myself gaining it back. Wtf is he thinking with that shootout lineup. Why the **** is Hendo even playing right now? 2013 Smyth looked faster than him. Rolling Testtube on the PP, keeping Slepy. After last night, this is the icing on the cake for me.
Statistically Hendo and Testube are our best shootout guys. Pp is 7th in the NHL.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I don't have an issue moving Drai off McDavid line. Nuge's line hasn't be producing so we needed offence from another line than McDavids. Caggiula looks fine on McDavid's wing, and Drai+Pouliot have looked good the last 2 games since Drai got moved back to centre.

Yeah, that is true. Hopefully it stays like that though. If Todd decides to switch it up again, I would at least like to see nuge on the wing, like soundwave said.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Think I heard somewhere today the Oilers are 5th or 6th overall in goals scored this season?

#LegitOilersPostives

Yeah, just can't put games away, which is incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure about other teams, but Oilers just seem to let little mistakes turn games around on them. Not sure if it's just bad luck, but the bounces never seem to go their way.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, that is true. Hopefully it stays like that though. If Todd decides to switch it up again, I would at least like to see nuge on the wing, like soundwave said.

I agree. I also think Puljujarvi could be contributing for the team at this point in the season if Todd hadn't ****ed around with him. Still will never understand why he started that one game on McDavid's line and then 5 minutes into the game he took him off that line and put Eberle on it. Made absolutely no sense, and its been a rollercoaster or making no ever since with his deployment of Jesse.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, just can't put games away, which is incredibly frustrating. I'm not sure about other teams, but Oilers just seem to let little mistakes turn games around on them. Not sure if it's just bad luck, but the bounces never seem to go their way.

Tied for 8th in the league in goal differential, but 15th in point%. Incredibly frustrating indeed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
another game another loss. how we have held on to 1st in the Pacific up until now is miraculous!

Thats the only glimmer of hope remaining at this point is that even despite a very poor stretch of hockey where numerous points were pissed away, if they can heat back up sooner than later they still have a shot at holding onto their playoff spot. They certainly need to start stringing together some multiple game winning streaks asap though.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm starting to think, we should just disregard players' handedness for a bit and replace Letestu with RNH on the 1st PP. RNH is obviously a more dangerous PP player.

no let Nuge QB the second unit, ever since they gave him Eberle to work with the Oilers have had an outstanding PP due to having two legit units. One thing that isn't said enough about Hopkins is that he's an elite PP guy, arguably our best. He struggled without any support earlier on the 2nd unit but at this point Letestu is doning his job on the 1st and allowing the 2nd unit to be that much more potent. In the longterm Puljujarvi will be on the 1st unit instead but why fix what ain't broke, the PP has been solid.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Still 4 games in hand for SJ to make up 2 points though. At least Calgary didn't pass us tonight, thats something.
Down to three games now. :naughty:

They play against Carolina tomorrow and then have a 6-game road trip. Lots of away games for the California teams to end this month.

Anaheim: 8 of 10
Los Angeles: 9 of 11
San Jose: 6 of 10

5 of 8 at home for the Oilers.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

They play against Carolina tomorrow and then have a 6-game road trip. Lots of away games for the California teams to end this month.

Oh you're right I thought it had updated already. Well hopefully the Oilers can actually capitalize on some home games and get on a bit of a roll. Surely Calgary's unsustainable stretch of hot goaltending has to stop sometime soon.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
When Drai is on, he is on. He really is going to be a star one day soon.
Russell has yet to have a bad game by my eye. Just so freaking solid. That play on Parise near the end of the game was outstanding.
Sekera was one of the best players for either team. He has been quietly lights out the past handful of games. Putting up points and playing very good hockey in all three zones.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Too bad the Oilers are worse at home

randomrob7

Aug 30, 2013
Disagree. Was flying most of the time.

He was flying out there, and it was his worst game. Took a poorly timed penalty and had a give away that directly lead to a Wild goal. He had some good offensive chances and was skating well.

Did he play terribly? No. Did he make a few key mistakes? Yes.

Who cares though, everyone has a less than spectacular game once in a while, even super stars.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
We need to stop hiring anyone who's last name starts with a "Mc". Getting sick of this old dog not learning anything new. I really don't think Todd is cut out for what the NHL is now. He's too stubborn of a person. I think he's the exact same coach as he was 8 years ago. Problem is, the game has changed quite a bit even during that time span. Whatever. These guys also play pretty uninspired. They don't care, so neither will I. You can tell Dubnyk WANTS to beat us very bad. He wants to win against us MORE than we want to beat him, and that's the problem, or one of the main problems. We need more passion. When was the last time our goalie was better than the opposition? It's been so long I can't even remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad