Post-Game Talk: Wild 3 Oilers 2 Shootout

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not hurt. Just not overly effective during this losing streak. He's still the 2nd best Oilers d-man right now, but thats mostly because Russell and Klefbom are both playing like garbage lately. Thank god we've got Sekera. Seems to be the only d-man on the team who you can count on to not have multi-game poor stretches of play.

Is that what your analytics tell you?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Is that what your analytics tell you?

Do you think he has been good lately? I thought he was good yesterday but I think he has struggled a bit after his great start. That could be said for 2 other D's as well though (Klef, Lars).

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Do you think he has been good lately? I thought he was good yesterday but I think he has struggled a bit after his great start. That could be said for 2 other D's as well though (Klef, Lars).

I thought he struggled a bit last night, especially in the first period. That being said, I think he's been one of our more consistent defencemen this season. Him and Sekera, and also Larsson if we take away his first few games.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
no let Nuge QB the second unit, ever since they gave him Eberle to work with the Oilers have had an outstanding PP due to having two legit units. One thing that isn't said enough about Hopkins is that he's an elite PP guy, arguably our best. He struggled without any support earlier on the 2nd unit but at this point Letestu is doning his job on the 1st and allowing the 2nd unit to be that much more potent. In the longterm Puljujarvi will be on the 1st unit instead but why fix what ain't broke, the PP has been solid.

It's getting frustrating watching Eberle on the PP. Like last night, right before RNH's goal, look at how many times Ebs could have shot the puck, but instead chose to carry the puck closer to the net (this closed off his shooting lanes) and was then forced to pass back to the point. Also an the PP before they scored, it was the same thing. Ebs gets the puck at the circle, has an open lane to shoot. Instead decides to take it closer to the net, so the defence men converge and close down the lanes. Ebs passes to the point.

The reason why RNH is an effective PP player is because he has a good release, and more importantly he gets it off quickly from the circle. Doesn't try to move in before shooting.

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just wondering if the Oilers will win another game this season. That would be nice.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They'll go on a 2 or 3 game win streak. We'll all be pumped. Then they'll lose one and that one will turn into a 3 or 4 game losing streak.

This team is so fragile, once they get a loss it turns into a big losing streak. At least we are accumulating those loser points to stay afloat in the playoff race

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I mean yeah they've lost 4 in a row but all by a single goal. That means if we cut out the one extra mistake (Larsson penalty, McDavid backpass, Gustavsson), we're pretty good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Do you think he's been playing like garbage?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Do you think he's been playing like garbage?

No.

OilersDoe

Feb 28, 2012
I haven't been a big fan of Nuge for a while and even I wouldn't say he's a bust unless you mean specifically as a first overall pick. Hindsight is 20/20.

Not a bust but definitely someone you'd have second thoughts drafting 1st overall. Yakupov is a bust in the complete sense IMO

Strictly as a first OA. Mark Scheifele took a few years but he is ahead of RNH now.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This team is so fragile, once they get a loss it turns into a big losing streak. At least we are accumulating those loser points to stay afloat in the playoff race

Yep, the team is way too streaky. It's too bad their losing streaks are typically longer than the winning ones IIRC too

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
No.

The other poster said he was playing like garbage. I disagreed. You questioned it. At least you agree with me now.

I never said he was playing great. He's had some issues for a couple games, but then our entire team has had issues and that has made everyone look worse. But to call his playing as garbage is a little over the top. The poster clearly has not liked the player or the signing of him from the beginning, so the comments are not a big surprise.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The other poster said he was playing like garbage. I disagreed. You questioned it. At least you agree with me now.

It was an honest question actually. Hyperbole is used so much around here somtimes I just read what I think is the point of the wording instead, in this case garbage = struggling.

I think he had struggled lately, and he also struggled a couple of ganes just before getting injured. Since Klefbom and Larsson are also struggling right now I wonder if something in the system has changed and they are taking their time to get used to it... But I haven't noticed anything in particular changing on the ice, although I am not an expert so it is possible I've missed it.

Edit: I replied before seeing your edit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad