Post-Game Talk: Wild 3 Oilers 2 Shootout

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well Talbot was great in overtime. Had a pretty **** poor attempt on the 2nd goal, and one of the most pathetic attempts I've ever seen on Staal's shootout "move". Overall our goalie got outplayed yet again. We haven't had our goalie steal a win for us in at least 10 games now, but we've certainly had quite a few opposing goalies steal their team a win.

Lot of crap performances tonight, but I guess I'll take the point and move on. I don't think we'll be in a playoff spot in January unless something drastic changes.

Oilers have had bad luck recently in one goal games, sooner or later bounces will go their way. McDavid is a threat to score a couple points every night. Oilers don't need their goalie to save them, just need average goaltending. They need to dump Gustavsson and bring in a back up who can relieve some pressure from Talbot.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Quick take aways

They need to get Davidson back, 3rd pairing was a tire-fire most of the night... And that's hard to do when you're with McDavid most if the night...

Klefbom had a really rough game... He and Larsson are starting to get overworked.

Get RNH out of centre. He's playing way too safe out there, to the point it's a detriment. Swap him with Caggiula. Nice to see him score though.

As for Drake, he had a rough game too, though not his fault as he's not a top line player.

Hendricks had a better night, but I'm not in favour of sitting him over a faster option like Slepyshev or Puljujarvi. You can have 2 of Hendricks, Letestu and Kassian in the lineup, but all 3 (especially together) makes the lineup far too slow.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers have won 4 out of 12 1-goal games.

Pretty much why they're not making the playoffs this year.

They're better and have taken a definte step forward and aren't just "visually" better, they're really better.

But not good enough for playoffs. Not yet.

Next year, probably if they can stay healthy.

They're not ready yet.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Letestu and Hendricks are arguably their best shootout players.

On another note, this isn't close to a playoff team. Feels bad man

Why is this being ignored? Who cares how good players are at scoring during a game, a shootout is something different all together.

Also why are people blaming Nuge for losing the game when he's the reason it went to OT? McDavid didn't score in the SO either and giftwrapped the 2nd goal. Players miss in the SO, it happens.

The Oilers are frustrating because for 55-59 minutes a game they can be the clearly the better team, and they have been most nights, but make crazy stupid mistakes and lose because of it. It's likely just a young team learning how to win but it's still ridiculous. In saying that they currently have some real tough injury issues on defense, I think Davidson coming back is going to be huge for this team, and some forwards have had some bad puck luck (Hopkins) or haven't hit their stride (Pouliot). It's going to be an up and down season but iirc there has only been one game this year they weren't in it till the end and that was Buffalo, this team has made some real progress.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They played a decent game on back to back. Could of got 2 but shootout is a coin flip. Was a better effort tonight.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If they play Monster against the Jets, their revenge will be sweet. Laine with a Hattie for sure.
I don't think Monster is going to play again for a long time. There isn't another B2B for the Oilers until January 20-21.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
barring dumb OT penalties these last few games, why is this team so bad in OT?

all these young hot shot offensive stars with all that space and they never seem to get it done...

feels bad man

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So I'm going to look at the positives

- Talbot was great, so was Sekera tonight
- Nuge scored and had a much better night
- Probably McDavid's worst game as an Oiler this season, Oilers still found a way to get a point.
- 2nd of back to backs, on the road, 3rd game in 4 nights, tie the game in the 3rd to get the point.

The win would have been the best, but there's alot to like.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Oilers have had bad luck recently in one goal games, sooner or later bounces will go their way. McDavid is a threat to score a couple points every night. Oilers don't need their goalie to save them, just need average goaltending. They need to dump Gustavsson and bring in a back up who can relieve some pressure from Talbot.

Will they though? When have you ever seen the Oilers have bounces go their way.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Interesting choice, I thought, by Mclellan to use Hendricks as the second shooter tonight. Draissatl bailed him out of another bad decision. I've tried hard not to second guess the coach like many have been lately but he's starting to baffle me. Does he not think these games are important enough to try to win?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hopkins jumps over the board in OT and proceeds to see his line get hemmed in until the buzzer with like 4 prime chances for the Wild to win. He sucks ass and getting a lucky goal because Maroon basically eclipsed Dubnyks vision doesn't change jack ****.

He set up Eberle with a great chance in the slot and Eberle ****ed up royally and missed the net leading to a turnover. He didn't do anything wrong at all, in fact he was really solid on the PK in OT. Settle down with the agenda.:shakehead

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

all these young hot shot offensive stars with all that space and they never seem to get it done...

feels bad man

It's weird, but McDavid for some reason doesn't do well on the 3 on 3's. Him and Drai were pinned in their own zone for pretty much the entire 80 seconds or so there were out there in ot, which led to McDavid's penalty. It's funny, even though Eberle doesn't do much during the games, he's usually pretty good at the cycle on the 3 on 3.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I seriously think that if Slepyshev had played all the games that Hendricks played, this team probably gives up 2-3 less goals and has at least 1 more win. Slepyshev has been a rock in the defensive zone. Perhaps our best defensive winger. It is criminal that he is sitting.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

feels bad man

In OT the team that gets the puck first is going to control the play. Oilers suck at faceoffs.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Maybe you shouldn't have started off with the 4th line in the shootout Todd?

McDavid with his worst game of the year.

You know if the Oilers lose one game they're going to lose 3 or 4. Seriously. Only once this year have the Oilers lost their first game, and gone on to win the next. Still zero mental fortitude in this organization. Such a soft fragile team.

Disagree. Was flying most of the time.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Shouldve taken a time out after McD cam out of the sin bin in OT.. he wanted to score.. instead we sent out lame players who were hanging onto their dear life the last 2 mins of the game
For once I agree with you.
McDavid was flying and highly motivated. Why not take the time out?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Pretty much why they're not making the playoffs this year.

They're better and have taken a definte step forward and aren't just "visually" better, they're really better.

But not good enough for playoffs. Not yet.

Next year, probably if they can stay healthy.

They're not ready yet.

Why do you think that? I feel like the Oilers are going to be a much better team in 2017 than what they have shown so far this year. Chemistry matters, a lot of these players paired together have never played together before.

I can't name 8 teams better than the Oilers in the West. They are not ready to contend for the Cup, but they are definitely ready to make the playoffs. Worst case scenario is that they will play meaningful games all the way up to April when they have been out of it most seasons by November or December.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad