Post-Game Talk: Wild 3 Oilers 2 Shootout

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
They're still probably better than us. We have 7 wins in 22 games, remember that.

Johnson will probably regress a bit, but he was .920 last year playing 45 games on a bad Buffalo team. He is a decent goalie, much like Talbot. He soldifies that position considerably for them.

Like I said though I don't think they're much better, so you can take solace in that.

They have 7 wins in 22 games, but every teams record looks bad if you take out their big winning streak. Oilers just happened to come fast out of the gate and slowed down. They still have plenty to offer. We haven't seen the best of the Oilers yet, we probably won't till around mid January.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Calgary through 30 games is almost identical to last season. Terrible start and then they got hot to get over .500. At this time a year ago they were in the middle of a seven-game win streak.

Probably get a better idea on the division when December is up and the games in hand dwindle down to one or two and not three or four as it currently is. The California teams all go East this month. LA has a 9-game trip starting next Tuesday.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Calgary through 30 games is almost identical to last season. Terrible start and then they got hot to get over .500. At this time a year ago they were in the middle of a seven-game win streak.

Probably get a better idea on the division when this month is up and the games in hand dwindle down to one or two.

We'll be second last in the division by Christmas. When is Quick supposed to be back anyway? It's actually incredibly troubling that LA is basically within striking distance of everyone despite injuries to Kopitar and Quick.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They're still probably better than us. We have 7 wins in 22 games, remember that.

Johnson will probably regress a bit, but he was .920 last year playing 45 games on a bad Buffalo team. He is a decent goalie, much like Talbot. He soldifies that position considerably for them.

Like I said though I don't think they're much better, so you can take solace in that.

If advanced stats mattered as much as the advanced stats nerds claim then Calgary will not make the playoffs. 18th in CF%, 26th in SCF%, 25th in HDCF%. We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but right now the advanced stats certainly aren't holding true to the actual points they're putting up.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Pitlick had a mediocre game, yeah. But overall he's been much, much better than Hendricks, and slightly better than Slepyshev as well. The production tells the story.
Slepyshev knows how to play his position.
Pitlick not so much, although you are right he probably does have the better offensive instincts.
Hendricks is done. Its clear as day.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Division will end up like this by the end I think

San Jose
Anaheim
LA
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pitlick not so much, although you are right he probably does have the better offensive instincts.

Still can't figure out why they don't try Puljujarvi on the PP for the one-timer. No one is afraid to step in front of a Letestu one-timer or a Sekera slap shot. Except for those poor shin pads of course.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Maybe you shouldn't have started off with the 4th line in the shootout Todd?

McDavid with his worst game of the year.

You know if the Oilers lose one game they're going to lose 3 or 4. Seriously. Only once this year have the Oilers lost their first game, and gone on to win the next. Still zero mental fortitude in this organization. Such a soft fragile team.

hey we got a point

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Arizona is the only team of those I'm 100% sure they will lose.

That teams complete ownage of the Oilers is otherworldly. No matter the season, no matter the standings :cry:

Hoping it comes to an end when Doan retires and the great error of '95 has been forgiven

What makes it even worse is that Arizona hasn't won a game since they beat us in back to back games in November. Our team honestly has psychological issues. They see a certain jersey (Arz, Min, LA, Tor) and they **** the bed. It's like clockwork

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

All right, fair enough. Let's just say both Pitlick and Slepyshev should be in the lineup and Hendricks should be out. Makes me a bit sad though, as Hendricks is a good, loyal warrior. Feel the same way I did at the end of Ference's playing days. Another guy with loads of heart. Genuinely hard-working, good guys.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm starting to think, we should just disregard players' handedness for a bit and replace Letestu with RNH on the 1st PP. RNH is obviously a more dangerous PP player.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Another game on TMac. He's quickly lost all of my faith and I honestly don't see myself gaining it back. Wtf is he thinking with that shootout lineup. Why the **** is Hendo even playing right now? 2013 Smyth looked faster than him. Rolling Testtube on the PP, keeping Slepy. After last night, this is the icing on the cake for me.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Another game on TMac. He's quickly lost all of my faith and I honestly don't see myself gaining it back. Wtf is he thinking with that shootout lineup. Why the **** is Hendo even playing right now? 2013 Smyth looked faster than him. Rolling Testtube on the PP, keeping Slepy. After last night, this is the icing on the cake for me.

Letestu was 2/2 on the year and Hendricks is over 40%...

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

Yeah, not sure why he keeps juggling lines this late into the season. Maybe the first ten games or so, but at around 30? Drai looks awesome with McDavid, but changed that quickly.

I honestly think he should encourage nuge to just go for offence. I just don't see nuge as a full blown shut-down guy at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad