Why should the Habs acquire Evander Kane?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All Habs? Link(s)?

He's referring to this:

As usual, the team is always surrounded with rumours, with Winnipeg’s Evander Kane and Edmonton’s third overall pick said to be targeted by the Canadiens’ GM.

However, the above was started by someone from a abject site, who was playing pretend-GM when he put it together. The "rumor" has no foundation whatsoever.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Winnipeg would likely want Gallagher.

We would love a guy like Kane, but no ****ing way do I want to see Gallagher traded.

with the return of gionta id gladly trade away gallagher if it would bring us KANE, hes a notch above pacioretty imo, would absolutely love to have him in our top 6 especially at the expense of you know what

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
with the return of gionta id gladly trade away gallagher if it would bring us KANE, hes a notch above pacioretty imo, would absolutely love to have him in our top 6 especially at the expense of you know what

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, they say...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Jesus Christ can you spell trainwreck?

So let me get this straight, not only are we giving away a top 10 LW, arguably top 5, a very good offensive center with an ever improving defensive game but also one of the best AHL goalies, who has shown to be capable of being an NHL backup while still being only 24 years old, for a guy that might become what Pacioretty already is and a prospect that might become in 4 years what Desharnais already is right now; and we also throw away our first round pick and Tokarski, for which we could get at least a 3rd round pick.

Who would score on this team? Would Kane suddenly score 55 goals to make up for Pacioretty and Desharnais production from last season? Or maybe you want this young gritty team to finish last and to draft McDavid next year.

Jesus christ, points is everything here. Overrating at his best.

A very good offensive center (well, 50pts center in his position isn't very good at all, and to be improving his defensive game he would need to play in acutal defensive game situation which he still never has in 3 years...when he'll be able to take some PK like everybody else, we'll talk about his defensive game) who happens to be the smallest center to ever step foot in the NHL in the last 20 years (with apparently no real value) and who's taking the sugar minutes away from Galchenyuk IMO.

Tokarski...well, nobody knew his name before these playoff. We've got Fucale coming down the pipe and we already have a back-up goalie on which we could used also in that trade instead of Tokarski if they want.

As for Pacioretty....of course it's a big piece....but that's how you get big pieces too. Kane got as many points as Pacio and he's only 22, and play PK, and play tough and will get better, tougher and bigger for sure with time.

Remember this about Pacioretty and Desharnais.....This team WAS WINNING and scoring goals without them in the 1st 20 games of this year. Desharnais finished 3rd at center the year prior to that....and the team was still winning.

And in the last playoff runs...we can thanks Bourque and Eller to carry this team...cause those 2 guys didn't deliver in the PO.

I don't wanna draft McDavid....but i wanna go far in the PO again and again.
And it's not with your "very good offensive center" who still haven't score one single goal at 5on5 in his career (27 games) in the PO that we're gonna do that

And the 5 goals in 21 games in the PO from Pacioretty doesn't impress me either so far....
Your goal seems to make the PO but not to win them

Last edited:

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

A very good offensive center (well, 50pts center in his position isn't very good at all, and to be improving his defensive game he would need to play in acutal defensive game situation which he still never has in 3 years...when he'll be able to take some PK like everybody else, we'll talk about his defensive game) who happens to be the smallest center to ever step foot in the NHL in the last 20 years (with apparently no real value) and who's taking the sugar minutes away from Galchenyuk IMO.

Tokarski...well, nobody knew his name before these playoff. We've got Fucale coming down the pipe and we already have a back-up goalie on which we could used also in that trade instead of Tokarski if they want.

As for Pacioretty....of course it's a big piece....but that's how you get big pieces too. Kane got as many points as Pacio and he's only 22, and play PK, and play tough and will get better, tougher and bigger for sure with time.

Remember this about Pacioretty and Desharnais.....This team WAS WINNING and scoring goals without them in the 1st 20 games of this year. Desharnais finished 3rd at center the year prior to that....and the team was still winning.

And in the last playoff runs...we can thanks Bourque and Eller to carry this team...cause those 2 guys didn't deliver in the PO.

And it's not with your "very good offensive center" who still haven't score one single goal at 5on5 in his career (27 games) in the PO that we're gonna do that

And the 5 goals in 21 games in the PO from Pacioretty doesn't impress me either so far....

If you can't see the defensive improvements in Desharnais' game, especially the way he backchecks you must really hate him. You say 50 points for his position isn't good at all and yet he's finished among all centers 32nd, , 41 in the lockout season and 20th in terms of points.

If you were really a Habs fan you should have known Tokarski's name since he was playing really well on a horrible Hamilton team the past 2 years.

Who cares how many points Kane has at 22? Do you use the same method to evaluate Myers? Is Myers better than Subban since he scored more points and played better when compared at a certain age?

You still haven't answered my question, who will score the 55 goals that Pacioretty and Desharnais have scored this past season? Who will score the 13 game winning goals that they have combined for?
Just because the team was on a hot streak the first 20 games doesn't mean that they will keep it up for the whole season.

You say Pacioretty didn't deliver in the playoffs and yet he was tied for third leading scorer with Bourque and Gallagher with 11 points and 5 goals, 2 of which were game winning goals. Desharnais also had 8 points in the playoffs. So another question arrises, who will score 19 points or 7 goals to replace their production? Do you think Kane is capable of producing at that rate in the playoffs?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If you can't see the defensive improvements in Desharnais' game, especially the way he backchecks you must really hate him. You say 50 points for his position isn't good at all and yet he's finished among all centers 32nd, , 41 in the lockout season and 20th in terms of points.

If you were really a Habs fan you should have known Tokarski's name since he was playing really well on a horrible Hamilton team the past 2 years.

Who cares how many points Kane has at 22? Do you use the same method to evaluate Myers? Is Myers better than Subban since he scored more points and played better when compared at a certain age?

You still haven't answered my question, who will score the 55 goals that Pacioretty and Desharnais have scored this past season? Who will score the 13 game winning goals that they have combined for?
Just because the team was on a hot streak the first 20 games doesn't mean that they will keep it up for the whole season.

You say Pacioretty didn't deliver in the playoffs and yet he was tied for third leading scorer with Bourque and Gallagher with 11 points and 5 goals, 2 of which were game winning goals. Desharnais also had 8 points in the playoffs. So another question arrises, who will score 19 points or 7 goals to replace their production? Do you think Kane is capable of producing at that rate in the playoffs?

Those who will score those 55 goals will be those getting the same juicy, offensive game situation, PP, offensive zone starts.....well, the same ice-time that Patches and DD get.

What? you expect Galchenyuk or Plekanec scoring 30 goals each playing on a shutdown line...or mayby Eller and Bourque playing tough minutes with no PP time?

I expect Kane to have 30....and i expect Galchenyuk to also get 30 playing at center with those sugar minutes. That's 60 goals. Isn't that possible?

The fact that Kane has only 22yo means he will get BETTER....like Subban did, like Pacioretty did, like Price did, like Eller did...like almost 95% of the players in the NHL.

As for Desharnais....no defensive zone start...hell, Therrien prefer Briere than him a couple of time for last minute d-zone faceoff...that's telling. Desharnais can't play the man in his zone...he'll play the puck, hustle hard and follow his man, but when a simple, easy, small bodycheck is needed to stop the play...DD can't deliver it and the play keeps going and going. That's a problem.

If he would be any good....at least one of his coach would've trusted him with D-zone starts, PK time or something

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Those who will score those 55 goals will be those getting the same juicy, offensive game situation, PP, offensive zone starts.....well, the same ice-time that Patches and DD get.

What? you expect Galchenyuk or Plekanec scoring 30 goals each playing on a shutdown line...or mayby Eller and Bourque playing tough minutes with no PP time?

I expect Kane to have 30....and i expect Galchenyuk to also get 30 playing at center with those sugar minutes. That's 60 goals. Isn't that possible?

The fact that Kane has only 22yo means he will get BETTER....like Subban did, like Pacioretty did, like Price did, like Eller did...like almost 95% of the players in the NHL.

As for Desharnais....no defensive zone start...hell, Therrien prefer Briere than him a couple of time for last minute d-zone faceoff...that's telling. Desharnais can't play the man in his zone...he'll play the puck, hustle hard and follow his man, but when a simple, easy, small bodycheck is needed to stop the play...DD can't deliver it and the play keeps going and going. That's a problem.

If he would be any good....at least one of his coach would've trusted him with D-zone starts, PK time or something

If you really expect Galchenyuk to get 30, then why not trade desharnais and put Chucky in his position? Why trade our best forward for the past 3 seasons for an incosistent scorer that might or might not become our best player?

The difference between us is that you truly believe that trading a proven commodity for an unproven one will definitely make us better. I prefer to keep the players that have shown the ability to make a difference in games, while you prefer to completely gut our roster for a pipe dream.

If you really can't see how bad your proposal was I won't waste anymore time debating it. I think I can find better things to do.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If you really expect Galchenyuk to get 30, then why not trade desharnais and put Chucky in his position? Why trade our best forward for the past 3 seasons for an incosistent scorer that might or might not become our best player?

The difference between us is that you truly believe that trading a proven commodity for an unproven one will definitely make us better. I prefer to keep the players that have shown the ability to make a difference in games, while you prefer to completely gut our roster for a pipe dream.

If you really can't see how bad your proposal was I won't waste anymore time debating it. I think I can find better things to do.

Actually, i think Kane as proven a lot, he's a young, big physical powerforward. Drive the net hard, play a tough game...and Kane isn't a pipe dream. He just don't play 3 minutes a game on the PP for the last 3 seasons like Pacioretty did. And at 22, he's already a PK player more than Pacioretty is at 26. They don't bring the same thing to the table and i prefer the nasty, more rounded, gritty physical edge of Kane's game.

I'm fine with Pacioretty also....don't get me wrong here.

I don't think Kane will score more goals or more points than Pacioretty but i'm entirely sure that Kane will a be a better 200ft player than Pacioretty, cause he already is.....and those type of players makes you win in the PO.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009

Your goal seems to make the PO but not to win them

Not so sure about that.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I dont understand this thread....every habs fan wants kane....you dont have to sell us on him....how about a thread with a legitimate sourcec claiming we have a realisti shot at getting him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Actually, i think Kane as proven a lot, he's a young, big physical powerforward. Drive the net hard, play a tough game...and Kane isn't a pipe dream. He just don't play 3 minutes a game on the PP for the last 3 seasons like Pacioretty did. And at 22, he's already a PK player more than Pacioretty is at 26. They don't bring the same thing to the table and i prefer the nasty, more rounded, gritty physical edge of Kane's game.

I don't think Kane will score more goals or more points than Pacioretty but i'm entirely sure that Kane will a be a better 200ft player than Pacioretty, cause he already is.....and those type of players makes you win in the PO.

Kane has proven one thing, he has potential. That's it.

He scored 30 once. This year he was a healthy scratch. His name has been mentioned in trading rumors due to attitude reason pretty regularly. He didn't have as many points as MaxPac, not sure where you saw that. He had 41pts last year, 60 for Max. Oh, and Max was 1 goal short of 40.
Also, Kane averaged more ice time than MaxPac last year.

All Kane has on Max is a physical edge and age. That's it.

In a 1vs1 swap, I would ask for more than just Kane.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I dont understand this thread....every habs fan wants kane....you dont have to sell us on him....how about a thread with a legitimate sourcec claiming we have a realisti shot at getting him.

A funny thing that we humans do sometimes, we like to talk about things that excite us.

Guys talk about girls and girls talk about guys that they may never actually ask out for this very reason.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007

I would have to agree with the other guy wen it comes to Tokarsky. Had a few nice PO game but I don't see him in Budja's spot.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Kane has proven one thing, he has potential. That's it.

He scored 30 once. This year he was a healthy scratch. His name has been mentioned in trading rumors due to attitude reason pretty regularly. He didn't have as many points as MaxPac, not sure where you saw that. He had 41pts last year, 60 for Max. Oh, and Max was 1 goal short of 40.
Also, Kane averaged more ice time than MaxPac last year.

All Kane has on Max is a physical edge and age. That's it.

In a 1vs1 swap, I would ask for more than just Kane.

Hard to argue that! After that one season.....not much from Kane.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007

Man this is what I call Magical thinking....so let's recapitulate: you want to to trade DD and Patches because you don't like their playoff performance and your solution is Kane who HAS NEVER PLAYED A PLAYOFF GAME??? You got to be Kiddin!!!!! C'mon man, let's be serious here.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Don't let boston or Philly or leafs get him

True, trade for him just to avoid that. Because your absolutely right. Kane playing with an inspired Kadri for the leafs will be bad for everybody except leaf fans.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Attitude problems...that makes me laugh. He is 22-23 years old and Subban also had attitude issues in the past. The kid plays in a frickin bad hockey market, I would have probably turned into a ECHL bum right now if I played for the trashers or Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad