Why should the Habs acquire Evander Kane?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Character is a big piece of a winning team. Gallagher has it, Kane does not. No way I would trade Gallagher for Kane.

I understand the concern and i've been one of those defending the character aspect while others were ridiculing it on these boards but in Kane's case i think it's immaturity more than a fundamental character issue. Just watch the guy play , he goes into traffic , plays with an edge and he is fearless , much like Gallagher except with more size and natural talent. With the right adjustments and environment i think he could be "salvaged" and become a solid top 6 hockey player. Kane's upside is much higher than Gallagher and it would be hard to ignore if an offer came our way.

And kids will be kids. Some take longer to mature and are a bit hotheaded. Our very own PK Subban is a good exemple of this and you could probably add Price a couple of years ago , and Ribeiro etc. As long as Kane doesn't commit murder , it's not really a big deal if he takes pictures with some $$$. Do i like it ? No and in fact i hate that culture but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor all things considered.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Screen-Shot-2013-05-04-at-8.45.10-AM.png

Carey_beer.jpg

Did you made a big deal out of this aswell?
It was definitely a big deal. I'm sure Price regrets those as well...

Bottom line is that players today have to be a lot more careful than in the past because the technology is everywhere and can be beamed to everyone instantly. Pretty sure we'd see a lot of pics of Brett Hull or Guy Lafleur if cellphones and the internet existed today.

Not fair, but that's how it is.
Difference is, those are all one dollar bills. That pic is from a long time ago when a dollar was actually worth something. :laugh:
Raising the stakes with a baller YMCMB haircut (Young Money Cash Money Billionaires):

li-evander-kane-twitter.jpg
Again... not a great move. :laugh:

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Theres only a handful of players I would trade Gallagher for, Kane isn't one of them. That said, he would be perfect to replace Vanek.

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Eller could be good starting pieces to acquire Kane.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
no to trading Gallagher for Kane...

but aside from Gally, Galch, Subban, Price, there's pretty much nothing else in our organization i wouldn't put in the package/deal for Kane.

He's immature, like many other kids his age... the question is wether or not he has the character base to continue improving, avoid major stupid off-ice mistakes (even then, the other Kane proved that being an idiot off the ice doesn't stop one from being dominant/cup winning player), and fit in with our core.

I think he can deliver, and if he did, he'd be a star for us for years to come.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
no to trading Gallagher for Kane...

but aside from Gally, Galch, Subban, Price, there's pretty much nothing else in our organization i wouldn't put in the package/deal for Kane.

He's immature, like many other kids his age... the question is wether or not he has the character base to continue improving, avoid major stupid off-ice mistakes (even then, the other Kane proved that being an idiot off the ice doesn't stop one from being dominant/cup winning player), and fit in with our core.

I think he can deliver, and if he did, he'd be a star for us for years to come.
Yup, at least Evander didn't beat up a cab driver. Being cocky is one thing...

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The funny thing is all the crap you read here, you hear the same stuff about PK. Those pics of Evander...the guy was 20? If he's doing that at 30 then you have a point I guess.. But people forget some of these guys are kids. I never even got mad at Price for those pics when he was younger. The guy was a kid making big time money. He has matured since then. Get a grip.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Yup, at least Evander didn't beat up a cab driver. Being cocky is one thing...

The guy wasn't a cab driver and Kane was never charged with assault so obviously your understanding of the facts and the law is to put it simply, is wrong.

If you don't have a driver's license and you are banned from operating a motor vehicle you can't take people on a joyride without their consent and then lock them in a car to extort cash from them.

Why is this so hard to understand, it doesn't matter how old or feeble the guy was, the law doesn't change because of pity. There was never a chance Kane was going to be charged with anything close to an assault charge, it just wasn't in the cards, no matter what you perceive as right or wrong.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The funny thing is all the crap you read here, you hear the same stuff about PK. Those pics of Evander...the guy was 20? If he's doing that at 30 then you have a point I guess.. But people forget some of these guys are kids. I never even got mad at Price for those pics when he was younger. The guy was a kid making big time money. He has matured since then. Get a grip.
I can live with him if he's cocky as long as he can back it up on the ice. So trade for him? Sure. But I still wouldn't give up Max based on what we know today.

That doesn't mean that Kane might not turn out to be the better player in the long run, I just don't think its worth the risk to deal away your best scorer unless you know for sure you're getting something better back. Not worth that risk.
The guy wasn't a cab driver and Kane was never charged with assault...
Whatever man. Patrick Kane is no angel either.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I see all those post about how a hockey player should act.....but those are hockey players, not priests!! You can put a suit on a monkey, teach him tricks and how to act, still a monkey in the end!

Patrick Kane was massively known for his off-ice behaviors.....look at him now.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Kane probably doesn't have the savvy to be the bona fide power forward playoff hero people think he can be.

My major concern with Kane is injuries, especially concussions. He can be a really good player if he stays healthy but I would pass on him because he would cost too much in assets in relation to the risk you'd be taking.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
We are really going to hate our new draft selection Nikita Scherbak..

Just came across this...

nikitaScherbak_zpsdd5b21c9.png

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I understand the concern and i've been one of those defending the character aspect while others were ridiculing it on these boards but in Kane's case i think it's immaturity more than a fundamental character issue. Just watch the guy play , he goes into traffic , plays with an edge and he is fearless , much like Gallagher except with more size and natural talent. With the right adjustments and environment i think he could be "salvaged" and become a solid top 6 hockey player. Kane's upside is much higher than Gallagher and it would be hard to ignore if an offer came our way.

And kids will be kids. Some take longer to mature and are a bit hotheaded. Our very own PK Subban is a good exemple of this and you could probably add Price a couple of years ago , and Ribeiro etc. As long as Kane doesn't commit murder , it's not really a big deal if he takes pictures with some $$$. Do i like it ? No and in fact i hate that culture but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor all things considered.
OK, I agree that Kane has a much higher upside than Gallagher.

Now let's ask the real question.

Do you really think that Kane will have a better career than Gallagher?

One thing we know for sure is that Gallagher has more leadership than Kane right now.

To me he is a player like Marchand without the dirty work.

I have to be honest with you, given the intangibles, I am not sure I would trade Gallagher for Kane...
I mean that Kane is certainly better but Gallagher brings a compete level that is beyond anything Kane could bring...

To me Gallagher is a young Gionta, the kind of player the pushes you team to do better. A character guy!

Kane is obviously better.

Now if you want to trade Kane for Bourque+, I can deal with that.
As long as the + is not Nygren, Beaulieu or Tinordi.

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
OK, I agree that Kane has a much higher upside than Gallagher.

Now let's ask the real question.

Do you really think that Kane will have a better career than Gallagher?

One thing we know for sure is that Gallagher has more leadership than Kane right now.

To me he is a player like Marchand without the dirty work.

I have to be honest with you, given the intangibles, I am not sure I would trade Gallagher for Kane...
I mean that Kane is certainly better but Gallagher brings a compete level that is beyond anything Kane could bring...

To me Gallagher is a young Gionta, the kind of player the pushes you team to do better. A character guy!

Kane is obviously better.

Now if you want to trade Kane for Bourque+, I can deal with that.
As long as the + is not Nygren, Beaulieu or Tinordi.

Not to butt in or anything, I don't think Kane is a viable option. The asking price is too high, and we'd only have core players to trade for him. Although I wouldn't be so attached to Beaulieu now that we have Markov for three more years. He could be potential trade bait, Nygren too.
Gallagher is a staple for work ethic, even among players on other teams. We'd have more of a chance of singing him once he becomes a free agent, something I can see happening to Kane.
Plus, on another note about Bronn's message, I wouldn't add Ribeiro to the list of players that ever got any better maturity wise...

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
The guy wasn't a cab driver and Kane was never charged with assault so obviously your understanding of the facts and the law is to put it simply, is wrong.

If you don't have a driver's license and you are banned from operating a motor vehicle you can't take people on a joyride without their consent and then lock them in a car to extort cash from them.

Why is this so hard to understand, it doesn't matter how old or feeble the guy was, the law doesn't change because of pity. There was never a chance Kane was going to be charged with anything close to an assault charge, it just wasn't in the cards, no matter what you perceive as right or wrong.
So you know about the deal that went beyond the scene about Kane.
Please enlighten us!

Because as far as I remember, there was this sentence:
"do you know who I am".

It is easy to pick up on a cab driver who has no means to face a NHL player making 6M per year.

Please do not got there because the whole story was really not looking good for Kane.
He obviously acted like a spoiled brat.

Fact remains, if you are rich enough, you can make a deal...

Like many other NHL players before him, he made a deal and was able to get a free pass out of jail.

Are you seriously thinking that Kane was the innocent guy and that the taxi driver was the bad guy?????????

Either you are an agent managing damages, a Hawks fan who want to redefine reality or you are just a regular poster repeating lies.

In this story, the cab driver did not filed the complaint. Kane got a free pass out of jail.
We are talking about the 20 cents Kane here...

You really want to pursue this and see all references and newspaper articles being posted here?
If there is one time in Kane's career where he looked stupid, this is the one.

Feel free to make this thread go all the way about Kane's behavior...
Go ahead mister.

I really feel good about this because I do remember the whole thing.

Kane should never get 12M or let alone 10M given what he did in this.
That is one hell of a bad story...

One that proves that money can get you of criminal charges.

You really want to go there???????????????

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
E.Kane would be an excellent player to trade for it all depends on the cost in players going back for him, as it's for any trade.:nod:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Not to butt in or anything, I don't think Kane is a viable option. The asking price is too high, and we'd only have core players to trade for him. Although I wouldn't be so attached to Beaulieu now that we have Markov for three more years. He could be potential trade bait, Nygren too.
Gallagher is a staple for work ethic, even among players on other teams. We'd have more of a chance of singing him once he becomes a free agent, something I can see happening to Kane.
Plus, on another note about Bronn's message, I wouldn't add Ribeiro to the list of players that ever got any better maturity wise...
Let's see... Kane vs Patches..
I would do this one but Kane at 10+M vs Patches at 4.5M.........
Are you serious?

If the Hawks would trade Kane, they would ask for Patches+++.

So are we ready to trade Patches + Emelin/Gorges +Beaulieu for Kane.

IF we do a trade like that, Hawks are in line for two more SCF in the next three year and we may not get to SCF for the next three years.

Le the Hawks deal with Kane and Toews...

For now, LAK is well ahead of them with Gaborik!
While LAK improved, Hawks regressed!

HabsFanJosh

Jun 28, 2014
Are you serious?

IF we do a trade like that, Hawks are in line for two more SCF in the next three year and we may not get to SCF for the next three years.

Evander Kane, not Patrick.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Are you serious?

You really misfired on this one.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Are you serious?

You are camping at a different campground.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad