Why should the Habs acquire Evander Kane?

TeamTHG

Feb 5, 2014
Marc+Bergevin+2013+NHL+Draft+F1pYEW4z2Twl-300x204.jpg

It’s becoming somewhat of a post-season cliche but once again Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin is staring down the face of the 2014 off-season that could significantly change the way the Montreal Canadiens look when September rolls around. He’s already locked up highly coveted aging blue liner Andrei Markov to a 3 year $17.250 million dollar deal with a limited NTC, and this signining will likely weigh on the other decisions to be made with the organization.

With Thomas Vanek headed to the Minnesot….Free Agency, the Habs would be wise to acquire another impact forward; for the first time in a long while, due to smart drafting on the part of Bergevin and Trevor Timmins the Canadiens have plenty of firepower to negotiate with to acquire a solid top six winger. Evander Kane’s name has been circling the rumor mill like pack of sharks to a school of fish, and it would be silly to think the Habs aren’t interested in the robust winger’s services.

Here are the top 8 reasons why Montreal needs to Acquire Evander Kane.

Read the full story

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Too costly, no thanks. We are more than one Evander away from cup. No reason to trade our best prospects+picks.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't see MB moving a core piece for him...and that's what Winnipeg probably wants...

Kane's name has been circulating for a while. When a name circulates that much, you can't expect 1 for 1 quality. Why even swap 1 for 1 if you're Montreal. No point in rocking the boat. For us to be interested, I would have to think it would be one of the following :

-Trade futures
-Trade a guy not as good as Kane and Winnipeg accept to lose the trade because they really don't like how Kane affects chemistry
-Trade quantity for quality. It would make no sense to trade Pacioretty for him for example.

If they don't accept that, then they need to stew a bit longer with the risk that we miss out on Kane down the road.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'd love to have him, but it would depend on the type of players the Jets would be looking for in return. Picks and prospects? Go for it. Young roster players? No thanks.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
The only gamble I see with Kane is his attitude. He was somewhat humbled when Winnipeg went on a tear during his absence this past season, and this will likely ease the Winnipeg brass in deciding that they can move him.

I would move Pleks or DD for him, and throw in one of Pateryn, Nygren or even Emelin.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I'm all for trading for Kane because he's the prototypical puck pressure forward - strong in 50-50 puck situations, can generate his offense, finish off plays and get second chance goals.

It'd be really hard to give up Eller, Tinordi/Beaulieu (and possibly a prospect) for him though. But we also really need offense and size, and he brings both.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The only gamble I see with Kane is his attitude. He was somewhat humbled when Winnipeg went on a tear during his absence this past season, and this will likely ease the Winnipeg brass in deciding that they can move him.

I would move Pleks or DD for him, and throw in one of Pateryn, Nygren or even Emelin.

I wish he were that easy to get. I'd be all over that.

Something tells me Winnipeg kinda wants a bit more, though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

You won't get close to Kane with a package based around DD...

And I don't see the Jets being interested in Plekanec. They're going for a rebuild apparently.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The article lists four roster players and a bunch of prospects and I wouldn't be against any combination of those names traded for Kane. Although, I like Emelin and hope he stays.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would pass on Kane. He's overrated, his hands aren't elite, 55 points is what i see. Costs a lot to acquire then makes over 5 million. I would offer a Eller/Nygren but that is about my limit

Adam Spylo

Feb 26, 2012
I'd rather trade for Andrew Ladd. He would be cheaper to get and would add leadership.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I would pass on Kane. He's overrated, his hands aren't elite, 55 points is what i see. Costs a lot to acquire then makes over 5 million. I would offer a Eller/Nygren but that is about my limit

He's a powerforward. He hits hard, can knock you out in a fight and can give you 30 goals a year.

Having him in our top 6 would help us a bunch.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Would love to have Kane, he has the potential to be the premiere power forward in the league for years to come, only thing is he has a very poor attitude and MB only likes character players, so I don't see a fit

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's a powerforward. He hits hard, can knock you out in a fight and can give you 30 goals a year.

Having him in our top 6 would help us a bunch.

1 year in 5 he scored 30 goals. People always embellish these things. Like Bob Mckenzie said yesterday on the FAN, their career high in goals don't make them a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Would love to have Kane, he has the potential to be the premiere power forward in the league for years to come, only thing is he has a very poor attitude and MB only likes character players, so I don't see a fit

But at the same time, history is filled with immature players who were problems somewhere and eventually grew up and became dominant players. Sometimes, all it takes is a change in environment.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
I would like to get him for right price-the guy is a winner.But I will say he can be a head case and he must remember who the wolves are and who the sheep are on the habs.For right price I would get him he brings different skill set

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Be realistic. The price would be more than that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kane is a really hard call because we don't really know what Winnipeg would want...but I doubt it's cheap...

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
Be realistic. The price would be more than that.

I disagree. Pleks greatly upgrades the centre position with the impending departure of Jokinen. The young d prospects can legitimately land top 4-6 slots. Maybe the Habs add a pick or prospect, but let's not act like Pleks has no value.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Depends on the price as with everything in life.

Think Kane might be someone you can buy low on. Although I'm sure within a year of trading for him the fanbase will turn on him and say we should trade him for a real power forward that doesn't exist.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
I disagree. Pleks greatly upgrades the centre position with the impending departure of Jokinen. The young d prospects can legitimately land top 4-6 slots. Maybe the Habs add a pick or prospect, but let's not act like Pleks has no value.

The value he has for Winnipeg isn't very high. What are they going to do with a good center that's there for a few years? They're trading away a core piece, they'll want young roster players and high end prospects, not veteran complementary pieces.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
He came into my friends store in Vancouver and mentioned he doesn't want to go back to Winnipeg.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
1 year in 5 he scored 30 goals. People always embellish these things. Like Bob Mckenzie said yesterday on the FAN, their career high in goals don't make them a consistent 30 goal scorer.

Please. 29 goals pace over the last three seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad