Why should the Habs acquire Evander Kane?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I offer

David Desharnais
Nathan Beaulieu
#25 overall

for

Evanader Kane
2nd round pick

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
They want a top 6 player in return, i'll gave them 2: Pacioretty - Desharnais.
They get a 2 top 6 , in their prime and locked up for many seasons as they wished, and with chemistry with one another.
I would also give them a #2 goaltender, which they need in Tokarski.

IMO, Pacioretty is worth more than Kane at this point.
But i don't just go after Kane.....i want their #9 pick of this year for that package.

Cause i believe that:

Kane - Plekanec - XXXXX
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
#9 pick + #26 pick + $2.75 millions in cap space

Is Waaaaaay more stronger, younger, bigger, grittier, cheaper than:

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - XXXXX
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
#26 pick

So my offer is: Pacioretty + Desharnais + Tokarski
For: Evander Kane + #9 pick.

Ready to throw our #26 pick or a mid-prospect to swing that deal

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think Winnipeg moves Kane without a top 6 player coming back.

Your two first ones are not far off, though I doubt Winnipeg gives much more than Kane for Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk has more upside and is cheaper but Kane is established and more proven...maybe a 2nd or a decent prospect at best.

Agreed. You don't get a top-six player without giving up one the other way. The question is what does Winnipeg need? I think their priority is a two-way centre, which makes Plekanec #1 on their wish-list. Habs would gain real offensive strength with Kane but lose serious shutdown ability. No one can replace Pleks right now. Therrien would have to adjust our game-plan; I doubt he'd be happy, which is why I doubt Plekanec is going anywhere.

Eller would be a possibility, but we'd have to add a top prospect like Beaulieu or decent roster player.

The Jets also need goaltending depth. Tokarski's stock is currently high -- might be worth dangling him as the missing piece to any trade.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
I don't think Winnipeg moves Kane without a top 6 player coming back.
I'd move Gallagher + for Kane. Gallagher's great, but his size will always limit his production to some extent. He's cheap, Winnipeg will probably like cheap. Add in a few pieces here and there and pull the trigger.

NHLFutureGuy3

Aug 22, 2008
I'd move Gallagher + for Kane. Gallagher's great, but his size will always limit his production to some extent. He's cheap, Winnipeg will probably like cheap. Add in a few pieces here and there and pull the trigger.

I'd hate to see Gallagher leave because the Habs will miss his peskiness and relentless pursuit of the dirty areas but if it means getting Kane, do it! Gallagher alone wouldn't cut it it but it would be a good starting piece.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I'd hate to see Gallagher leave because the Habs will miss his peskiness and relentless pursuit of the dirty areas but if it means getting Kane, do it! Gallagher alone wouldn't cut it it but it would be a good starting piece.

I know but they surely won't miss his size and lack of playmaking abilities.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I hope they don't trade Gallagher. He is a heart and soul player. You don't trade those types. I would rather they trade Patches for him than Gallagher. You give up some goal production for intensity and more physical play. Kane's game is better suited for the playoffs.

But your missing the point of what getting Kane would be. It would be specifically to have Pacioretty AND Kane. To be double dangerous.

Which one do we value more? With the Markov signing it makes me believe that it will be Beaulieu, he's a puck moving D that needs to play in the NHL, I would love for us to keep him but it appears that Bergevin has other ideas. We desperately need scoring and I would welcome Evander Kane in a Habs jersey, make it happen.

I agree. Tinordi is more expendable I feel. But fills a need better for us. One of them is going, because they are both overdue to play in the NHL. And we can't bring both in right now.

Why? No reason to deal either one.

Yes there is. They are both overdue and we don't have room for both right now. Someone mentioned the Mcdonaugh trade, yes that's the big fear, but I don't think Bergevin would make the mistake of getting someone like Gomez back.

Organizations don't always groom Blue-Chip prospects to play for them. Sometimes it is to use as trade fodder. And remember when you trade a prospect, another prospect takes his place on the depth chart. Thrower, Dietz, Ellis.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes there is. They are both overdue and we don't have room for both right now. Someone mentioned the Mcdonaugh trade, yes that's the big fear, but I don't think Bergevin would make the mistake of getting someone like Gomez back.

Organizations don't always groom Blue-Chip prospects to play for them. Sometimes it is to use as trade fodder. And remember when you trade a prospect, another prospect takes his place on the depth chart. Thrower, Dietz, Ellis.

He's not overdue. He's a Dman, they take longer to make the NHL unless they have insane talent. Top 4 guys will take more time. He just completed his 2nd year with the Bulldogs. We're not talking about 3-4 years. He started getting a little more playing time with us as well.
If Therrien removed his head out of his ass, he would have stuck with Beaulieu and Tinordi instead of Bouillon-Murray. Seems like they might be going with the two youngsters instead of veterans this year.

Not saying I wouldn't trade him, but he's not overdue.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
If we're going to pay top dollar for a young winger, I'd rather it be Taylor Hall. THAT guy would be worth going after.

Kane has potential but there's a lot more risk there.

Why Hall? Might as well just go for Crosby then. :help:

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
They get a 2 top 6 , in their prime and locked up for many seasons as they wished, and with chemistry with one another.

But i don't just go after Kane.....i want their #9 pick of this year for that package.

Cause i believe that:

Kane - Plekanec - XXXXX

#26 pick

You sir are out of your mind or is this a joke and I missed it? no way in hell I would trade Pacioretty who is at #34 league wide for goals scored in the last 3 years for Kane who is at #80, is more expensive and is trouble in the locke room.

How the hell does this deal make any sense to you?????

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The article seems like wishful thinking. I dont think DD gets it done and like someone else said, I dont think Plekanec would be a target of Winnipeg.

Although I wouldnt do it....Winnipeg would probably be starting with Gally and asking for two more additional pieces like Pateryn and a 1st.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Off The Table - Price, Subban, Galchenyuk

They Won't Want A Center (Scheifele/Little are their 1/2) - Pleks, DD, Eller

They Won't Want An Older Player - Markov, Briere, Gionta

LNTC or Full NTC - Gorges, Markov, Emelin

So who's left? Gallagher, Pacioretty, Tokarski and the farm so if you want Kane then you'll have to build around that fellas.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Well if we're talking about upgrading our LW, that's pretty much one of the very few options we have. That's how good maxpac is.

Yeah, honestly Jamie Benn and Taylor Hall are pretty much the only guys that are 100% upgrades IMO. Patrick Sharp/Marleau are comparable but age rules them out.

It's funny how much weaker the talent pool is at LW than RW.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Yeah, honestly Jamie Benn and Taylor Hall are pretty much the only guys that are 100% upgrades IMO. Patrick Sharp/Marleau are comparable but age rules them out.

It's funny how much weaker the talent pool is at LW than RW.

And when we start factoring in the contracts.....I think I'll just stick with Maxpac. He definitely isn't even close to being a problem on this team.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
And when we start factoring in the contracts.....I think I'll just stick with Maxpac. He definitely isn't even close to being a problem on this team.

I agree, just in a hypothetical 1 for 1 trade Benn and Hall are really the only two I'd be confident in calling an upgrade.

And then talking about contracts... Neither Hall nor Benn have bad deals either but it's hard to even consider moving what's probably the best value non-ELC in the league. It's irrelevant because we're not trading Pacioretty for Hall but to me the idea of a deal around Kane for Pacioretty is looney tunes.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I agree, just in a hypothetical 1 for 1 trade Benn and Hall are really the only two I'd be confident in calling an upgrade.

And then talking about contracts... Neither Hall nor Benn have bad deals either but it's hard to even consider moving what's probably the best value non-ELC in the league. It's irrelevant because we're not trading Pacioretty for Hall but to me the idea of a deal around Kane for Pacioretty is looney tunes.

Welcome to the madhouse, then.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
You sir are out of your mind or is this a joke and I missed it? no way in hell I would trade Pacioretty who is at #34 league wide for goals scored in the last 3 years for Kane who is at #80, is more expensive and is trouble in the locke room.

How the hell does this deal make any sense to you?????

Cause for me....it's not just about the points column and where Pacioretty stand in that department.

But for points lover....Pacioretty wasn't even a 15 goals scorer at 22, Kane is a 30 goals scorer at that age....imagine what he will be at 25 years old.

Evander Kane : 200 points in 324 games at 22 years old
Pacioretty: 213 points in 319 games at 26 years old
Not a big difference here...but Kane hits like truck, can fight, can take hard minutes and play PK....Patches can take
some PK...that's about it.

As for the locker room problems...well, Subban was also a locker room problem at 22, remember?.....look where he is today.

Poeple seems to have a high view on Pacioretty because he scored goals, but as far as we know:
- He complained publicly about how Martin was using him at first
- He complained publicly about how Therrien was using him
- He complained publicly about the system's Therrien was using
- He complained publicly about fans criticism toward his best friends
- He complained publicly about hearing rumours of him and Kane
- He complained publicly about Lafleur's comments

And not to forget, that he hides in the shower everytimes he faces tough times.

Questions is: Do this american really loves playing in MTL....cause he's doing a lot of complaining about it?

And you have to consider that Pacioretty is one injury away to be label an injury-prone player and then, that great value will drop drastically.

I'm not saying we need too....

But we need powerforwards....Patches isn't one. Gionta got more grit than him.
And having a #9 pick would also help in the future.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
gary lawless ‏@garylawless · 17m
one thing is clear, if #nhljets do indeed make a deal involving Evander Kane, price will be steep. Cheveldayoff won't budge from his price

gary lawless ‏@garylawless · 19m
hearing again from other teams that #nhljets are listening to offers for Evander Kane. Told "it's a big deal so there is some nervousness."

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Cause i believe that:

Kane - Plekanec - XXXXX

#26 pick

Jesus Christ can you spell trainwreck?

So let me get this straight, not only are we giving away a top 10 LW, arguably top 5, a very good offensive center with an ever improving defensive game but also one of the best AHL goalies, who has shown to be capable of being an NHL backup while still being only 24 years old, for a guy that might become what Pacioretty already is and a prospect that might become in 4 years what Desharnais already is right now; and we also throw away our first round pick and Tokarski, for which we could get at least a 3rd round pick.

Who would score on this team? Would Kane suddenly score 55 goals to make up for Pacioretty and Desharnais production from last season? Or maybe you want this young gritty team to finish last and to draft McDavid next year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well if what All Habs reports of rumors around Kane or Edmonton's 3rd OV are right then Bergevin's living up to his reputation for improving the team, obviously! Both are very heady proposals and either lands the Habs a player that could be a key to the future plans. :nod:

White Spy

Spy vs Blades
Jun 26, 2008
Well if what All Habs reports of rumors around Kane or Edmonton's 3rd OV are right then Bergevin's living up to his reputation for improving the team, obviously! Both are very heady proposals and either lands the Habs a player that could be a key to the future plans. :nod:

All Habs? Link(s)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad