Why should the Habs acquire Evander Kane?

cjbhab*

I'm all for trading for Kane because he's the prototypical puck pressure forward - strong in 50-50 puck situations, can generate his offense, finish off plays and get second chance goals.

It'd be really hard to give up Eller, Tinordi/Beaulieu (and possibly a prospect) for him though. But we also really need offense and size, and he brings both.

really? I would pull the trigger on Eller/Tinordi/2nd for Kane

then sign S. Koivu for 1 year to replace Eller.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

And in the process build a team with the smallest center line in the history
of the NHL....DD-Plekanec-Koivu-Briere. Soft is the right word here.....very very soft.

In an ideal world, DD has more value than Eller and we send them DD instead.

This. But somehow, he stays......cause nobody wants him (no value).

Yeah anyways I think we are deeper on defense than we are on the wings

Gorges
Emelin
Subban
Markov

Beaulieu
Tinordi
*Weaver
Pateryn

LW
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk

Bourque
Prust
Moen

RW
Gallagher
*Gionta
Weise
Bournival

Our right wing sucks right now
would make no sense to trade one
id prefer to add to it

On the left wing you have Pacioretty and Galchenyuk
Galchenyuk might move to center this year, and we dont know if Bourque is here to stay or not

Now center

Plekanec
Desharnais
Eller
Brière
White
Galchenyuk (?)

And Goaltending

Price
Budaj
Tokarski

Plekanec, Tokarski and a 1st round pick

for Kane and a 2nd

Jokinen is leaving and Pavelec sucked balls
so they get a new reliable center, some good goaltending and a 1st for their rebuild

all they have to do is sign Hiller and thats a decent duo

thoughts?

Well I have to agree with the article ... I love Plekanec but a swap (+some prospect) for him just make too much sense...

The ''Free up a spot down the middle for Galchenuyk'' is the argument that sold it the most for me... think about it

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Kane - Galchenyuk - Brière
Bourque - Eller - Gionta
Prust - Bournival - Weise
Moen

You're, right wing sucks right now....but center line also and taking out Plek to put Galchenyuk seems like an improvement and it is....offensively ONLY....it's a huge downgrade defensively. So we're getting and losing some here.

Replacing Eller by Galchenyuk would be the same.....and a downgrade in size.
But replacing DD by Galchenyuk, i only see upgrades here.

Just a quick question...with your line-up:
MTL leads the Pens 2 to 1 and there's 2 minutes left in the game and the Pens will
throw their big guns out there and take their goalie out for a 6th man.....

Which 2 lines will you send to stop them in this 2 minutes?

If you have trouble finding those 2 lines, it's mainly cause we just can't have Desharnais and Galchenyuk at center on the top 9 at the same time.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
People are making funny offers here.

DD probably not going to cut it. People offering Emelin, Pateryn and so on. Not going to happen. Not even in NHL 14.

Either Beaulieu or Tinordi are going to go in a trade this offseason.

We have surplus D-Men. Gorges isn't going to go, and wouldn't get us much. Weaver isn't going to go, wouldn't get us much. Emelin would not fetch much either.

Our only significant trade assets on D are Markov (teams have signed players before only to deal them right away) although I don't think this will happen. P.K. Subban (which would might put Bergevins life in danger) Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Nobody really pays much for a defensive d-man. People want Wisnewskis and Streits and Souray's. PAteryn certainly is not that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kane gets no love from Habs fans.

I'd love Kane. I just don't see the point in trading our only other goal scorer in the process.
Kane has never put up Max's numbers. So ya, he could add an element of physicality, but he might also never put up as many goals/points. There's also an attitude question with a possibility of him not working out here. We don't have that issue with Max. So I don't see the point.
Point is to add to us, not sidestep or possibly even regress.

So I'd be willing to move some assets for him, just not Max.

Not sure I'd give that much for him. He's got an attitude issue and has under performed. I don't think we have to give two NHL ready players and a pick.
I'd be upset letting go Eller without really exploring his higher potential. That being said, if we're not planning on giving him a shot at a higher role next year, might as well shop him around.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I'd be quite happy to pick up Evander Kane.

The price would likely be quite expensive, but I'd pay that premium for an elite power forward that would give us another scoring threat and is still pretty young and signed for 4 more years.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Realistic offer for Kane.

Gallagher + Tinordi + Draft Pick

For Kane plus.
-----------------------------------
Galchenyuk

For Kane plus plus.
Or trade the farm option

Andrighetto, Crisp, De la Rose, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Tokarski (not all together obviously but certainly atleast two of them)

Kane is a guy that you are going to have to pay for.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Id be excited if we got him of corse, but, I am not gonna get excited or angry one way or the other until it happens, if it ever does which, unlikely

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
You have to wonder how much the jets trust their goaltending, and how much they value tokarski.

Not saying tokarski would be a primary piece, but if the jets value him, he could be a peice the habs can use to push a potential deal from "maybe" to "done deal"

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If you want Kane you're gonna have to give up Eller + Beaulieu + a 1st, but then we would have 2 top notch goal scorers with size on each of our top 2 lines. Imagine having:

Pacioretty - DD - UFA/trade
Kane - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If you want Kane you're gonna have to give up Eller + Beaulieu + a 1st, but then we would have 2 top notch goal scorers with size on each of our top 2 lines. Imagine having:

huh, sorry but, as much as I like the kid I dont see Gallagher as top notch in goal scoring. We'd still have one, Patches.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

DD probably not going to cut it. People offering Emelin, Pateryn and so on. Not going to happen. Not even in NHL 14.

We have surplus D-Men. Gorges isn't going to go, and wouldn't get us much. Weaver isn't going to go, wouldn't get us much. Emelin would not fetch much either.

Our only significant trade assets on D are Markov (teams have signed players before only to deal them right away) although I don't think this will happen. P.K. Subban (which would might put Bergevins life in danger) Beaulieu and Tinordi.

Nobody really pays much for a defensive d-man. People want Wisnewskis and Streits and Souray's. PAteryn certainly is not that.

I thought everybody agreed after the McDonagh incident not to trade anymore of Timmins' blueline boys, before they matured

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
I hope they don't trade Gallagher. He is a heart and soul player. You don't trade those types. I would rather they trade Patches for him than Gallagher. You give up some goal production for intensity and more physical play. Kane's game is better suited for the playoffs.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007

Arguably the best 2nd line in hockey right there if chemistry is right.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Realistic offer for Kane.

Gallagher + Tinordi + Draft Pick

For Kane plus.
Galchenyuk

For Kane plus plus.
Or trade the farm option

Andrighetto, Crisp, De la Rose, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Tokarski (not all together obviously but certainly atleast two of them)

Kane is a guy that you are going to have to pay for.

I don't think Winnipeg moves Kane without a top 6 player coming back.

Your two first ones are not far off, though I doubt Winnipeg gives much more than Kane for Galchenyuk. Galchenyuk has more upside and is cheaper but Kane is established and more proven...maybe a 2nd or a decent prospect at best.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
We shoulda just got Bobby Ryan :rant:

Ryan isn't a guy you win with IMHO. The fact that people that know him left him off team USA tells you a lot about him. Plus he will be a UFA in 12 months and has always gone for the big money. I wouldn't trade 3 assets for him for sure...

I thought everybody agreed after the McDonagh incident not to trade anymore of Timmins' blueline boys, before they matured

I agree, trading Tinordi or Beaulieu unless you are getting an overpayment, makes no sense. Look at this UFA crop and see how hard it is to get a top 4 d-man, there are like 2 maybe 3 available for 15-20 potential buyers.

I hope they don't trade Gallagher. He is a heart and soul player. You don't trade those types. I would rather they trade Patches for him than Gallagher. You give up some goal production for intensity and more physical play. Kane's game is better suited for the playoffs.

I love Gallagher, but guys like him are easier to replace than 30-40 goal scorers.

Arguably the best 2nd line in hockey right there if chemistry is right.

You'd have to argue pretty hard to call that the best 2nd line in hockey. Pretty huge exaggeration. Gallagher is a solid player but he has never scored 20 goals and Galchenyuk's career high is 31 points and he hasn't played center in 3 years.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Which one do we value more? With the Markov signing it makes me believe that it will be Beaulieu, he's a puck moving D that needs to play in the NHL, I would love for us to keep him but it appears that Bergevin has other ideas. We desperately need scoring and I would welcome Evander Kane in a Habs jersey, make it happen.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Why? No reason to deal either one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad