Why not Dion in Sochi?

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Dude say what you want about Subban; Yea he wears the jersey I HATE WITH PASSION. but PK is a friggen STUD

PK gets benched during the final minutes of a game when they are trying to protect a lead, Dion does not.

Offence+Speed PK>Dion

Overall Game PK< Dion

leafstilldeath*

PK gets benched during the final minutes of a game when they are trying to protect a lead, Dion does not.

Offence+Speed PK>Dion

Overall Game PK< Dion

Overall Game PK will be much better than Dion when he finishes his career IMO. At present I will give Dion the benefit of the doubt for sure. FYI I wasn't commenting about PK and Dion. Was just saying that PK is a Stud.

Another case:

Norris Karlsson is also benched when trying to protect the lead OR killing penalties.

crazyaces**

I think on paper Dion doesn't go, but I think he should be on the team if you're choosing players to play a specific role for the team, and Dion kinda does it all. I'd be surprised if he makes the team, its too bad really.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Overall Game PK will be much better than Dion when he finishes his career IMO.

At age 24:

P.Subban: 224gms, 35gls, 133pts, 292ht, 303bk, 23:26 (82gms, 13gls, 49pts, 107ht, 111bk)
D.Phaneuf: 404gms, 77gls, 238pts, 947ht, 451bk, 24:54 (82gms, 16gls, 48pts, 192ht, 92bk)

PK's gotta lotta work to do to catch up.

hockeyfanz*

So considering Phaneuf for Team Canada would make them homers? :shakehead

I also remember Team Canada failing to win a medal that year. Yeah. There is your answer. :help:

Intelligent post. The powers that select Team Canada want the best. Leaf homers want Phaneuf. The two do not co-incide. Why can you not follow the logic?

What does the Team Canada failing to win a medal have to do with how lost Bryan McCabe looked in the Olympics? Another great logical and rational debating point.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
There aren't many dmen better than dion in canada.

There's basically 8 guys who should be in consideration - phaneuf keith weber pietrangelo bouwmester doughty subban letang - and since dion is one of only 3 lefties there, and since they don't really need one dimensional guys like subban and letang with all the talent they have there, the smart move would be to go with the 6 guys who have all been trusted as matchup dmen against top competition at even strength, and who have led both special teams units as well for most of their careers:

Keith - Weber
Bouw - Pietr
Phaneuf - Doughty

That's the best D canada could ice, and they could roll all three pairs evenly in all situations, and never have to worry about sheltering any of them from anybody.

i like seabrook, burns, boyle better than phaneuf. also, i think boyle was on the last team. bouwmeister is a very good skater, but i don't think he brings too much extra i.q. wise or positionally compared to the 3 i mentioned.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
At age 24:

P.Subban: 224gms, 35gls, 133pts, 292ht, 303bk, 23:26 (82gms, 13gls, 49pts, 107ht, 111bk)
D.Phaneuf: 404gms, 77gls, 238pts, 947ht, 451bk, 24:54 (82gms, 16gls, 48pts, 192ht, 92bk)

PK's gotta lotta work to do to catch up.

I hate the Habs......but Subban will be wearing the Maple Leaf....he bring far to much to the table not to be there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I hate the Habs......but Subban will be wearing the Maple Leaf....he bring far to much to the table not to be there.

Extremely talented no doubt but a bit of a loose cannon. IMO, he'd be a risky guy to add unless used in a limited role.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i like seabrook, burns, boyle better than phaneuf. also, i think boyle was on the last team. bouwmeister is a very good skater, but i don't think he brings too much extra i.q. wise or positionally compared to the 3 i mentioned.

FWIW: Burns has been playing forward for most of the year for the Sharks.

I doubt he would be considered for TC defense as a result.

getyourselfsomerest

Jul 22, 2011
I think Dion could be the 7th Dman because he can play both LD and RD. Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo and Keith are all locks. Seabrook, JBo, Letang, Subban, Vlasic, and Phaneuf will probably fight it out for the remaining spots. JBo might get in because of international experience and chemistry with Pietrangelo. Same with Seabrook. That leaves Letang, Subban, Vlasic, and Phaneuf for the 7th/8th spots. Even if Dion goes, he'll probably only be the 7th Dman unless there's a major injury. Rather have him stay home and rest than go freeze his ass off for nothing in Russia.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
As a Montrealer (Leafs fan) I get to see PK a lot. The dude is the real deal. The guy can take control of a game like few other D in the league. I hate the Habs but few other D combine the skating, shooting and aggressive play like PK. He should be on Team Canada as one of our offensive D.

ironrhcp

Jan 14, 2012
Markham Ont
Because half of my Jr.A team is better then him.... Theres a reason Calgary traded him and he never gets mentioned in talks, wake up Toronto your captain is a stiff.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That is his knock.....but I say he goes and if so he will play a lot and not just a limited role.

I think he'll go as well.

Unless they're down often, I don't think he plays a lot.
Lots of guys they'd throw over the boards before him when protecting a lead.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
As a Montrealer (Leafs fan) I get to see PK a lot. The dude is the real deal. The guy can take control of a game like few other D in the league. I hate the Habs but few other D combine the skating, shooting and aggressive play like PK. He should be on Team Canada as one of our offensive D.

We have other defencemen who can bring his offensive ability but without the recklessness and defensive shortcomings. 7th d-man at best.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think he'll go as well.

Unless they're down often, I don't think he plays a lot.
Lots of guys they'd throw over the boards before him when protecting a lead.

We will see, I say he plays on second pair and gets around 18-20 minutes a game with first pairing PP.

He is a far better player then most think. His coach is a control freak and it will cost him his job this year. Subban is a true #1 d-man. I would love to see him wear a blue and white maple Leaf!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Burns can't even play defense in the NHL, let alone for Team Canada.

Seabrook is a #3 defenseman. Boyle is very old and has never been great defensively even in his prime.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Because half of my Jr.A team is better then him.... Theres a reason Calgary traded him and he never gets mentioned in talks, wake up Toronto your captain is a stiff.

The Flames never missed the playoffs with Dion on the team as their #1 dman.

The Flames have never made the playoffs since they traded him.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
We have other defencemen who can bring his offensive ability but without the recklessness and defensive shortcomings. 7th d-man at best.

To be fair to the guy, the recklessness and shortcomings are overblown. He is far from a shutdown guy and at the end of the game, there are better choices. But in so far as offensive ability, PK is a game breaker and would be one of our best D. I say he is a 5-6 guy and 1-2 guy on the PP.

Dion, if he did get in, is at best a #7.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Well I meant more that if Phaneuf getting rest rather than going to Sochi, dealing with that and the potential for injury, etc., helped the Leafs win more that would be good for the fans.

Personally, I would want him to play at the Olympics but it's not all bad if he doesn't.

I'm in the crowd that doesn't want him to go, agree that the rest he would get will be great for the Leafs down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad