Why not Dion in Sochi?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Am I the only one confused by this? Canada is short at LHD. They have two locks for the team, and they want to bring at least 3 LHD to the Olympics.

Why is it Phaneuf doesn't seem to be in the conversation? He is one of the better d-men in the league, and he is definitely a top 6 Canadian d-man.

So why is a guy like M.E Vlasic being thrown out over Dion Phaneuf? Phaneuf is no slower then Shea Weber, so it can't be the big ice....

What gives?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Cause we want a medal.... Seriously though, he would struggle with the speed on the big ice. Weber brings more overall than Phaneuf, so foot speed can be neglected between the two here.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Honestly, he could make it but what I think are his shortcomings are his hockey IQ and defensive positioning in our own end. At times good players get him running around, in the olympics there will not be any weak players in the games that count so he could be a liability. He would have to have semi sheltered minutes if I was coaching him in the olympics.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Vlasic's a smooth skater, so maybe for mobility? He's smazing defensively too. Dion's a better overall d-man than Vlasic, but by fit, Vlasic may be ahead of him. I agree that he should get more attention though.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Canada needs a defensive d-man. They have too many offence-first d-men. Vlasic is one of the better defensive d-men in the league. Not as prone to mistakes as Dion and incredibly intelligent on the boards.

This coming from someone who feels Dion gets a bad rap around the league.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So Dion can shut down guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Tavares several times a year, but no, lets go with a guy like Vlasic who can skate a little bit better?

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
So Dion can shut down guys like Crosby, Ovechkin and Tavares several times a year, but no, lets go with a guy like Vlasic who can skate a little bit better?

Vlasic shuts down very good players too like Kopitar, the Sedins, etc. Vlasic is simply a better fit, not a better player.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009

Crosby has 40 points in 26 career games against Toronto

Ovechkin has 46 points in 30 career games against Toronto

Tavares has 16 in 15.

If we're under the assumption that top line forwards are getting matched against top line D a la Dion Phaneuf, then he's not really doing such a great job.

There are better D-men in Canada than Dion Phaneuf. Has Vlasic been mentioned by one of the credible sources? Or just on HFBoards by posters?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He is mentioned every time on TSN when they talk about Team Canada.

Dion Phaneuf. Never.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He is mentioned every time on TSN when they talk about Team Canada.

Dion Phaneuf. Never.

Personally, the 6 I would send are Weber, Keith, Letang, Seabrook, Subban, Doughty. Boyle as 7th. But that's just me and I'm not on the selection committee.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Phaneuf was built for the NHL, I don't think his game would translate quite as well with international rules. I still think he's more deserving than some guys who will make the roster, but I just don't think he has a chance.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, he has been a beast this year and I hope he makes it. However, I think Hockey Canada makes up their minds about players and no matter what, they can't make the team. I think a guy like Phaneuf is in that category, no matter what he did other than play like Bobby Orr, he wouldn't make. Its the same reason Spezza will never make it or Mike Green will never make it. Once they make up their minds, its over.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

Tavares has 16 in 15.

If we're under the assumption that top line forwards are getting matched against top line D a la Dion Phaneuf, then he's not really doing such a great job.

There are better D-men in Canada than Dion Phaneuf. Has Vlasic been mentioned by one of the credible sources? Or just on HFBoards by posters?

Yup and how many did Tavares and Crosby score this year?

Lemme guve you a hint, their combined total rhymes with Hero.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There aren't many dmen better than dion in canada.

There's basically 8 guys who should be in consideration - phaneuf keith weber pietrangelo bouwmester doughty subban letang - and since dion is one of only 3 lefties there, and since they don't really need one dimensional guys like subban and letang with all the talent they have there, the smart move would be to go with the 6 guys who have all been trusted as matchup dmen against top competition at even strength, and who have led both special teams units as well for most of their careers:

Keith - Weber
Bouw - Pietr
Phaneuf - Doughty

That's the best D canada could ice, and they could roll all three pairs evenly in all situations, and never have to worry about sheltering any of them from anybody.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Yup and how many did Tavares and Crosby score this year?

Lemme guve you a hint, their combined total rhymes with Hero.

They've played one game each against the Leafs this year... 26 and 15 games... One game each... Hmm.

Ugh how did I forget about Pietrangelo.

BayStreetBullies*

Tavares has 16 in 15.

Except Phaneuf wasn't in the blue & white for those 26 games vs Crosby, same goes for those 30 games vs Ovechkin. Leafs acquired Phaneuf on January 31st 2010. You should be posting stats since that time.

Furthermore, Crosby and Tavares would be Dion's teammates at the Olympics so I don't see why you'd bring them up. Anyways, he's done a great job of shutting both of them down this season.

Ovechkin
2010/11 - 4 G, 0 A in 2 GP where Phaneuf played against Ovechkin
2011/12 - 0 G, 3 A in 4 GP " " "
2012/13 - 2 G, 2 A in 3 GP " " "

Total: 6 G, 5 A in 9 GP where Phaneuf and Ovechkin played against each other. Over the 30 career GP vs Toronto, that's a projected 37 pts. So really, Ovie's production vs Toronto has decreased since Phaneuf arrived. :)

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
As many have said, I think once these guys make up their mind's about a player it's game over. Dion has a stigma that follows him about being overrated, hard to work with, (and of course hes a leaf).

If Dion could play like he has this season starting last season and add in some increased production and they'd be dumb to not consider him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad