Why not Dion in Sochi?

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Don't ask me. You're the one that brought up Backstrom beating Phanuef in the 1st place.

If the Selection Committee is watching Don Cherry to make their evaluations, Canada is in big trouble.

He brought up Phaneuf's lack of foot speed and used one play to back his statement up. One particular play aside, Phaneuf's foot speed may prove to be problematic on a bigger ice surface. He's not incorrect making that statement.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Dion deserves to be in the conversation for a spot without a doubt.

The top 4 is set with Weber / DD / Petro / Keith

After that you have a bunch of talented skaters like PK, Letang, Vlasic who are definitely more fleet footed, but also more offensively oriented than Dion. It will be a tough call for Team Canada execs to decide how to fill the roster.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
As a habs fan I've always liked Phaneuf. I think he's underrated but I think he'll have a hard time cracking the line-up. He should definitely be considered though.

FWIW, I've read some comments saying subban doesn't play tough matchups. It's not true at all(went vs Crosby, shut him down other day for example). It would be wrong to underestimate his ability just as it would be wrong for a habs fan to underestimate Dion.

Either way, I hope Dion gets a look because he deserves a look at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad