Sportsnet: Why Kypreos believes Maple Leafs should trade Mitch Marner

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Marner is untouchable. A few bad games for him this season and all the arm chair GM’s on HF here have him being traded for their overrated 3rd string D man :laugh:. Funny, the kid just turned 20 and his career is over on here. Lol

Marner is starting to turn it back on now. Give it 20 games and the delusional trade threads will stop.

The term untouchable is thrown around so much that is ridiculous. There are maybe a handful of untouchable of players in the league, and Marner is far from being one of those

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People are right, Kane is on another level. The only real similarities are size and both being the rare animal that is a winger that can drive a line in the NHL (as per Babcock).

He does however track favourably at 17 OHL, 18 OHL, 19 NHL compared to such slubs as Taylor Hall and John Tavares, and @ 20 is still sitting at .5 ppg going through some growing pains while getting buried on a deep team and riding a super low shooting percentage.

He may not be untradeable, but he's still one of the top young pieces in the NHL, and a good bet to grow into an elite/franchise level talent. If he's traded it will be in a calculated move to make the team better long term, a move reflective of the prior valuation and caused by having two of his peers emerge as better making him expendable (if). Not an elbow jerk reaction to 20 so-so games

Last edited:
Reactions: leospaceman3434

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The term untouchable is thrown around so much that is ridiculous. There are maybe a handful of untouchable of players in the league, and Marner is far from being one of those

Yeah, what he said was a stretch there.

Okay, simpler terms - Marner isn't on the block. Marner isn't being traded for the sake of trading. If someone wants to get Marner from the Leafs, they'll be overpaying. Think of what it'd take you to trade a player like Boeser or Horvat. That is the kind of return the Leafs would be looking for in a Marner trade. Not some good-but-not-great d-man, not some player over 30+ years old, or any small package of prospects/picks.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Kypreos just trying to get ratings talking about trading a young leafs player. Pretty common for Sportsnet to throw out stuff like this on the leafs

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
My theory: Kypreos has become so obsessed with people saying his name, that he ignores the fact that it's often followed by the words "is an idiot."

Reactions: Jozay

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
My theory: Kypreos has become so obsessed with people saying his name, that he ignores the fact that it's often followed by the words "is an idiot."
My theory: Kypreos took Marner in his hockey pool and is pissed about Marner not scoring enough.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That segment was puzzling and really weird.

Considering Babcock has been on record as saying that he thinks this team will have the ability to have Nylander, Matthews, and Marner run their own lines, why Kypreos thinks Marner has "no fit" on this team is confusing. There's a clear fit on this team for Marner. He's off to a poor start, yes, but that happens. The Leafs aren't going to trade him because of it.

It's also interesting that in the offseason, opposing fans were saying "Well the Leafs might not be as good, sometimes 2nd year players can have a rough go in their second year!" and now that appears to be happening and instead of those opposing fans being like "see, some second year players have trouble, nothing to worry about" it's "lol he was overrated" and "Leafs should trade him".

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Since when do people take what Nick Kypreos says seriously?

I think he has proved in the past few years to having a track record he is privy to information that others may not know. I recall this tweet and Shanahan was signed not soon after. So obviously he has some insider's information. You just don't throw this out this tweet on a guess. But I am always amused when people do not agree with an opinion. They try to discredit source. Whether it is Dreger, Kyper or ect...

member 105785

Lol Marner for Nurse.

We learned from the Hall for Larsson deal, we aren't trying to replicate it.

Edmonton still hasn't improved defensively with that trade.

To be fair, Hall > Marner and Nurse > Larsson so it's quite a bit closer

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
When it's bad for Toronto...Kippers opinion is gold, if not, it holds about as much weight as chocolate pudding.

How much chocolate pudding is the real question. I imagine it would become quite heavy in large quantities

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I heard from Liferleafer that Marner's placement in the fourth line is temporary and that he'll improve as the season progresses.
And you think that won't happen? I guess Toronto is the only place in which coaches do this to make players work on things....weird.....:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad