Sportsnet: Why Kypreos believes Maple Leafs should trade Mitch Marner

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You'd be ****ing stupid to trade Marner at this point. He's a highly skilled player figuring out how to be effective in the NHL. Players like Marner don't grow on trees. The Leafs aren't a contender yet but they will be in the next few years and Marner will be a big part of that. Unless you trade him, then you watch as he scores 80 points in 2018/2019 for a rival team.
Replace Marner with Drouin and it sounds like a similar argument.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Marner is not Kane. In his third season post draft (same as Marner now), Kane scored 88 pts (after 2 70 pt seasons).

Oh what a pleasure, a Nucks fan spouting his knowledge about the leafs lmfao. That 3rd season post draft for Marner is his second year in the league vs Kane in his 3rd...that's a difference in itself.

If you wanna go that route why don't we compare Marner to Gaudreau? You wanna know how they compare in their 3rd season post draft?

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
I tend to agree. I like Marner a lot, but I don’t think he’s a necessary piece for future success of the Leafs.

If they can find themselves a drouin for sergachev type of deal, I definitely think that’s something worth exploring.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
It’s not the worst idea Leafs. I didn’t want us to trade Drouin but Sergachev has really rounded out our top 4. When you have a team that is loaded with talent up front it’s good to trade a guy to solidify that D. Have a goaltender who is doing his job and making the saves then you are contender for sure.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Something around Klefbom for Marner? Both high potential players that are struggling this year.

Klefbom is similar to other Western Canadian d-men like Brodie, Hamilton, Big Buff, and a few others (exceptions being Giordano)....extremely overrated. I don't think any of us would pay market value for what Oiler fans would want.

As for Marner, he's looked in form for the last 2 weeks now. The slump is over. The guy has 16 points 22 games, all things considered.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Klefbom is similar to other Western Canadian d-men like Brodie, Hamilton, Big Buff, and a few others (exceptions being Giordano)....extremely overrated. I don't think any of us would pay market value for what Oiler fans would want.

As for Marner, he's looked in form for the last 2 weeks now. The slump is over. The guy has 16 points 22 games, all things considered.

I don't think the concept was ever "Marner sucks so the Leafs should trade him" (though I'm sure some posters in the thread have insinuated as much). Young players struggle. The point is that if they choose to, the Leafs could use Marner to acquire a valuable piece that wouldn't be offered for lesser pieces.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
It’s not the worst idea Leafs. I didn’t want us to trade Drouin but Sergachev has really rounded out our top 4. When you have a team that is loaded with talent up front it’s good to trade a guy to solidify that D. Have a goaltender who is doing his job and making the saves then you are contender for sure.
It’s tough to trade a 20 year old with elite potential whose already proven to be a 60 point player.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying, but Marner isn’t the guy to go.

Kypreos has taken too many shots to the brain. He needs to go sit in the quiet room.

Reactions: david999

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't think the concept was ever "Marner sucks so the Leafs should trade him" (though I'm sure some posters in the thread have insinuated as much). Young players struggle. The point is that if they choose to, the Leafs could use Marner to acquire a valuable piece that wouldn't be offered for lesser pieces.

I'm not overlooking the premise, it's just the notion that if Marner is ever moved- it would have to be for a clear top pairing defender or at least a young D with clear upside to be one- not one's with huge mental lapses or inconsistencies- i.e Hamilton, Klefbom, Larsson, Brodie types....we'd want a young D with equal pedigree and stability. We already have a guy like that in our top 4D, Gardiner, a guy who looks good, or even a #1 in spurts, but who's inconsistencies are far too troublesome to be relied upon.

It's a very short list of players, guys like Provorov (who I myself wanted over Marner at the time of the draft), Werenski, Jones, Slavin, and a few select others. I'm not implying any of those teams do it, but that's what it'd cost for consideration from the Leafs practically speaking.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Something around Klefbom for Marner? Both high potential players that are struggling this year.

Marner isn't struggling, he had a few weeks where is confidence was low and has been back on track lately. Do you think Ovechkin is struggling this season?

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Marner isn't struggling, he had a few weeks where is confidence was low and has been back on track lately. Do you think Ovechkin is struggling this season?
2 goals through 22 games this season isn't exactly what you would expect from Marner.

Not sure what Ovechkin has to do with this conversation.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
Marner is absolutely not going anywhere. Young players with his talent and vision don’t grow on trees. His problem is that Babcock likes to pick on the young guys to make examples of, in his case after 4 games into the season. Marner has 10 points in his last 8 games, and would have more if some of his line mates could tap in his perfect setups. He also leads the team in possession stats, all while playing up and down the lineup. If Babcock ever started playing Marner with another player with equal skill level like Mathews, I have no doubt he would help Mathews score 50+ goals.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
2 goals through 22 games this season isn't exactly what you would expect from Marner.

Not sure what Ovechkin has to do with this conversation.

Marner isn't a goal scorer, and he has a 5% shooting percentage. He's a premier playmaker and he has been doing this the last 2 - 3 weeks, so there's nothing to worry about with his game.

I compare him to Ovechkin because both players have been very streaky this year, but both have respectable numbers overall. Just because a player goes through a 3-week rough patch doesn't mean he's struggling and should be traded.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
One of the "big 3" will be traded for a stud D. Not Matthews, obviously. So who does Babcock trust least? Marner.

Leafs are trying to win a Cup here and to do so means addressing the weaknesses in their lineup. Marner's recent hot streak makes it more likely that he'll be traded, not less. TOR will want to sell high, and they'll get a king's ransom for #16.

So, yeah. Kypreos is really just stating the obvious.

Reactions: TheMule93

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They should trade Marner for Larsson on the Oilers. Oilers need offense, Leafs need defense. Works out for everyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad